Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
summerhummer

TT rear bumper swap out for this?

Hello,
I am seriously looking at Keystone TTs but none of them IMHO have adequate storage for gear like kayaks, bikes and bulky stuff. My previous TT had 2 pack and play doors which gave me space to store the 8 foot kayak and bikes in the TT and not in the truck roof or on the bumpers. When I look at the laredo 303TG I don't see how to store stuff like this so I am considering something like this web site. The you tube shows its well.

Has anyone used one of these or know someone who has?

http://mount-n-lock.com/

Is this adequate or do I still need to have someone weld some support arms to the TT frame? Most likely I would be doing this after keystone warranty period. I am not affiliated with this company but it looks like a great product if it works. It is expensive. If it works I might bite.
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
outwest

Last trailer we had (an Open Range brand trailer), the frame came from the factory with mounting brackets to attach a rear receiver hitch. However, that particular frame was NOT strong enough to support a rear receiver w/ cargo holder (I was going to put a platform for generator on rear receiver). Luckily, I called the factory and found out about the frame issue on that model before attaching one. Factory said it wouldn't even support the weight of the receiver hitch without reinforcement.

In contrast, I've seen other units with rear receiver hitch at dealerships, so I'd say it depends on the particular unit in question. Dunno if the Laredo can or not, hopefully someone here does know. I do know that the CCC of it is only just over 1500 lbs, so that's not very much room for extra weight, especially once you factor in fluids in tanks, clothing (weighs more than one would think), etc.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
summerhummer

Good point CCC is rather low with the laredos. I would just be doing bikes etc I don't see myself going over 300 lbs and mostly would be less than that.

That also makes me consider why pay for a 1K bumper if I can't get anywhere close to using its capacity. Again that is if.... The frame can be made to handle it with reinforcement.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Murphsmom

http://www.keystonerv.com/mobile/bra...i-state=dialog

We have the Cougar and it came with the pull out bike rack on the back. We haven't used it for bikes, but it has come in handy for carrying a couple of totes with some of the camp setup items in them. Click on the gallery to see the pictures.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
frankief

Summerhummer,

Sorry for coming to the conversation late, but I was browsing the forum and found your question and wanted to let you know we put a Mount- n-Lock bumper on our camper last year before taking a 6,000 mile trip out west (virginia to montana & alberta and looping back through the Dakotas). The bumper worked better than expected. I had a tray, a bike rack and a spare tire on the back and nothing moved even an inch. It was great to be able to keep the dirty stuff on the outside of the camper and not have to store it inside.

Highly recommended.
frankief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
summerhummer

Hello,

Thanks for the review from real live usage. If it is good for a 6K trip I am sure it will do me just fine! I have had 4 trips this year and it sure would have helped... Guess I need to start a savings fund for it....
Old 04-19-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
karen.b.anderson

I haven't tried it, but I was thinking about one of these. It's expensive, too.

http://rvkayakrack.com
karen.b.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
cmerkert

4Square Struts

Can anyone vouch for the additional strengthening of the 4Square Struts. The factory welds are small spot welds which will break loose eventually when carrying a bike rack due to the additional weight at a far leverage point. Friends have had additional welded struts done to strengthen their bumpers.

Will these do the job? Sometimes i like a few good strong bolts over welds.
cmerkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
summerhummer

sorry I dont know the answer to your question hopefully someone can come along who can answer it responsibly from experience.