Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
Baswinfo

Locating additional VIN numbers or help

New member here I have searched the forums and haven't found anything on this topic....the outside of the motorhomes vin sticker is unreadable. I purchased trailer from a police auction and only have bill of sale so I need to locate the VIN on this vehicle. If at all possible. I can read it was manufactured 10/23/2003 so I'm assuming it is an 04 model also I know its a Keystone Zeppelin Z281 from the decals on the trailer. I found a trailer VIN number in the kitchen cabinet but it is only 6 digits long and I need a 17 digit VI N.....any expertise out there that may be able to find the 17 digit VIN plate???
thanks
Baswinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Terry W.

Thats a good one a Police auction could not provide a vin number. On the left(street) side front corner there should be a few stickers. Tire size & pressure empty weight, allowable carry weight, and the vin number
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
KanTC

Welcome to the forum Baswinfo.

I don't recall ever seeing the actual VIN # stamped anywhere on a trailer other than on the exterior/street-side.
The 6-digit # you found (in the cabinet) is likely the Serial #. That said [& thinking out-loud here] - do you have
a Keystone (or other) RV dealer nearby?... maybe they'd know if VIN #'s are hidden/stamped elsewhere. Are there any
RV dealership decals on the RV?... if so, that dealer may still have info from their sales records [using Serial #,
from the cabinet?]. Last but not least, I'd suggest contacting Keystone. http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-service

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Hercules1978

Check the street side/driver side of the A-frame tongue. Usually close to the body. All 3 of my campers (popup, and 2 TT) either had a plate or it was stamped there.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Besides the places others listed on here, they are others but, those will not be disclosed unless your the police doing a VIN inspection. I cannot believe there was not one done while in the inpound before any sale paperwork. Without that being done you may have a stolen trailer or someone else is the legal owner. Here ALL vehicles get a police VIN inspection and the VIN would be listed on the sale. Someone had to have found the VIN and known it before the sale or there is a major error. If the public VINs where removed the state can make and issuse it a new VIN only after a police and DMV do a inspection.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
...I cannot believe there was not one done while in the inpound before any sale paperwork. Without that being done you may have a stolen trailer or someone else is the legal owner. Here ALL vehicles get a police VIN inspection and the VIN would be listed on the sale. Someone had to have found the VIN and known it before the sale or there is a major error. ...
To that line of thinking... you only received a bill of sale.?.? Shouldn't you also receive a title for the unit? The VIN should be listed on the title.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Baswinfo

vin

Quote:
Besides the places others listed on here, they are others but, those will not be disclosed unless your the police doing a VIN inspection. I cannot believe there was not one done while in the inpound before any sale paperwork. Without that being done you may have a stolen trailer or someone else is the legal owner. Here ALL vehicles get a police VIN inspection and the VIN would be listed on the sale. Someone had to have found the VIN and known it before the sale or there is a major error. If the public VINs where removed the state can make and issuse it a new VIN only after a police and DMV do a inspection.
Yes I got the title but it is a MVIN number which is a number assigned by the state when trailers and such are assembled, or when the vin is mutilated which is the case in this situation. I am a police officer and have contacted our auto theft detectives and they also advised that it maybe stamped some where on the tongue but is not a mandatory regulated stamp. The sticker is on the driver side of the camper but it is unreadable. I'll have to go to camping world and see what they can help me with. thanks for all the input. Im just trying to locate the actual VIN so I can order the correct parts for it. Camping World wants the VIN to guarantee proper fitment of parts they said they couldn't order parts just by 2004 Keystone Zeppelin Z281....which i thought was a bunch of B.S. but i'll keep trying
Old 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Bob Landry

I'm curious how the police were even able to do a title transfer without the VIN. I suppose that those police, like many, must have friends in high places.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Baswinfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I'm curious how the police were even able to do a title transfer without the VIN. I suppose that those police, like many, must have friends in high places.
I got the title but it is a MVIN which is a number assigned to the trailer by the state when VIN's are mutilated or destroyed....it is not the actual VIN. common practice here in Indiana
Old 06-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Baswinfo, Your auto theft Det.s work with NICB agents and should be able to give you the information you need on the secondary VIN with afew minutes. Now since your a cop and I taught Auto theft, I need to mention, I never allowed my students to say or print VIN number. It is a VIN.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
KanTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baswinfo View Post
.....Im just trying to locate the actual VIN so I can order the correct parts for it.
Camping World wants the VIN to guarantee proper fitment of parts they said they couldn't order parts just by
2004 Keystone Zeppelin Z281....which i thought was a bunch of B.S. but i'll keep trying

I hope not to steer this thread completely off-topic, but in response to you comment about "ordering parts" --

Trekwood has various replacement parts for Keystone RV's, including the Zeppelin. http://www.trekwood.com/replacements/37665/Zeppelin
You might check their site to see if what you need is available. We've never ordered from them, so I don't know what type of info they require (VIN?).

Also, given that you live in INDIANA (the heart of the RV industry), have you tried any "RV Salvage/Surplus"? May save you some money?

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:23 AM   #12
Baswinfo

Quote:
Baswinfo, Your auto theft Det.s work with NICB agents and should be able to give you the information you need on the secondary VIN with afew minutes. Now since your a cop and I caught Auto theft, I need to mention, I never allowed my students to say or print VIN number. It is a VIN.
Lol thanks Dad.....NICB no help either guess I'm screwed
Old 06-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
allmi01

On every TT I have owned (5 in all I think), there was / is a metal plate rivited to the A-frame near the propane bottle rack that had the VIN from the manufacturer.

That said, the 6 digit number in the kitchen cabinet is the last 6 digits of the VIN. VIN's are formulated by a specific rules which identify the manufacturer, vehicle line / model / and a few other things (all of this outside of the manufacturer ID are defined by the manufacturer) and the last 6 are an actual serial number for that make / model etc..

Keystone might be able to help you reconstruct the VIN based on what you know. They might also be able to get you the VIN based on the 6 digits serial number you have. It's worth the time on the phone to check.

Mike
Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #14
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
...I need to mention, I never allowed my students to say or print VIN number. It is a VIN.
You mean it's not a Vehicle Identification Number number.?.?

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
Ken / Claudia

Happycamper wins it is not number number.
Recontstructing the vin can be done since you know the last 6, easy if you find any other trailer of same model. I have done it with toyota's. If you can locate the axle numbers, Dexter will give you the vin, at least they did while I was IDing stolen trailers. Do you have any contacts at DMV, if so ask for all of the vehicle title/reg information. Here they do a hand search and it takes awhile. Even if it came from another state there should be a record of the real vin before it got the assigned one. Good Luck
Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Baswinfo

Found it....contacted keystone directly and gave them the info I knew with the kitchen cabinet numbers I found on the door. Thank u all for help.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Thats good news, was it in the secondary (hidden) location, if so do not list it, it is to remain not listed. If not can you tell us where or how you found it.