Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Jeff and Rita

Scratching My Head

We just bought a Fuzion 310 about five weeks ago. I work in the middle east. We just brought our joy to be home two days before I took off here for my Hitch. My Wife has been going out and starting the Generator every two weeks and letting it run from 30 to 45 minutes as the sales rep. advised. Well Sat. My Wife went to start and run the Generator..... Nothing.... the battery was dead.... Now she has been cutting the Power supply off after she runs the Generator before leaving the Trailer..... Nothing was left on.... I am due to go home in just a couple days.... we were planning out first camping trip next weekend..... Is this a common issue ? Do I just need to have a battery charger like a solar panel for the battery ? Or is this a big issue with the Generator not charging my Battery ? Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.... As I am frustrated a, scratching my head trying to find reasoning for this issue.
Jeff and Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
EricLynnAllison

I installed a battery cutoff right after the batteries to use whenever I'm not using the trailer. There are so many drains on the battery when allowed to be hooked into the trailer's panel. This allow my batteries to be ready when I go out again, usually 2-3 weeks between trips. The regular battery cutoff switch doesn't cut off everything. My installed cutoff switch ensures for no phantom power loss.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Adventurider

happened to me once, I accidentally bumped one of the tank heating switches and didn't realize it as there is no indicator light. Drained it pretty quickly. Took me a bit to figure it out.
Adventurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
mguay

If the unit is not plugged into shore power...the drain is probably the radio. Again if it is not plugged in... the amount of power it takes to start the genny probably never gets put back in the battery in a 30 min run. The Onan makes 120v which powers the panel/converter and then trickle charges the battery.
I am trying to figure out why you would need to start the genny every couple of weeks! It makes no sense to me! My Honda 3000 eu is sits for 6-8mos without being started. Seems like a waste of fuel.
If the thought is to keep the battery charged? I would install a battery cutoff switch and when the rig is parked for extended periods without shore power available you can shut off all power in the coach.
just my $.02
Old 05-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
MBD

No Worries

Presuming you have an ONAN Generator...

First is the solution to your current dead battery-when you hook your trailer to your tow vehicle, the battery will charge. After about 10-15 min, you should be able to start the generator. Your camping destination will probably be more than 10-15 min away.

Second, you don't have to run your generator every couple of weeks. If you do choose to run it for exercise; it needs to warm up(5 or 10 min)-run under significant load (15-25 min)-run to cool down without load (10 minutes or so) and then shut off. You may want to start your generator once or twice a year if you don't use while camping-but even that is not required.

Third, if your trailer is at your house-plug it in to 110 outlet, this will keep everything charged and keep your refrigerator running if you desire.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
smokeyfl

Jeff,
The manufacturer recommends running the generator once a month for about an hour. I exercise mine every 6 to 8 weeks. If you are planning on camping with no hook ups, you will need to install a second battery and a cut off switch. I would suggest 2 6 volt golf cart batteries. I also have a 310 and the additional batteries and switch will fit nicely in the battery compartment. If the unit was not hooked up to power, you probably don't have a problem with the battery.
smokeyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Jeff and Rita

I was told by the RV rep. to run the generator every two weeks to keep the batteries changed. I guys it was just a line for him. My panal has a Battery cutt off switch. From what I am hearing still something is drawwing from the battery. I guess that I will need to look into additional Battery and a cut off switch at the Batteries. I do plan to add a solar battery charger as soon as I get home.... Thanks for all the ideas.... Especially hooking it up to my truck to help chjarge the battery. I was just thinking it was a bigger problem that what it is....I just ready to get out and enjoy camping with the FAMILY....
Old 05-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #8
canesfan

I added a second battery and an isolator just for this purpose. Cost roughly $100. Now the genny has a battery to start it even if the coach battery dies.

As for running it every now and then, Onan recommends running it about an hour once a month or so under load. Do you have to? No. Do you have to change the oil in your car every once in awhile? No. Should you, well you know, what's it gonna hurt? An hour at half load is roughly half a gallon of gas. $2. I run my little Hondas once a month or so too. I prefer preventative maintenance over the other kind, you know?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
drewsa

Cool Scratching My Head

Most generators in the trailer do not have a charging system on them, they charge the batteries from the converter, which means the 120 volt to the main panel must be on. the converter changes the 120vac to the 12vdc, buy running the generator does not charge the batteries. I hope this is a better understanding of the charging system.
drewsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
hoffbrew

I never ran my gen when I had my Raptor, then I tried to start it before a trip to the desert and would not start... Bad gas and a gunked up carb. Now I start it at least once a month and pull out the gas nozzle and watch dark gas come out of that for a second or two.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
crash

I start mine once a month and let it run with the a/cs on for an hour just for my piece of mind
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
Jeff and Rita

Ok the solar Battery charger was installed. Battery now reads over 12Volts. The Generator will not turn over. The control panel seems to be dead. only the little blue light is on. Fuses were checked and nothing blown was found. Also there is 12.6 volts to the Generator connection. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Adventurider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Rita View Post
Ok the solar Battery charger was installed. Battery now reads over 12Volts. The Generator will not turn over. The control panel seems to be dead. only the little blue light is on. Fuses were checked and nothing blown was found. Also there is 12.6 volts to the Generator connection. Has anyone else experienced this?
pop the cover off the Gen and see if there is full voltage there, and if you can start it from there as well.

If you do, sounds like other stuff to start tracing. If under warranty, let the dealership deal with it.
Adventurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:27 AM   #14
Jeff and Rita

Made it home to check the Trailer situation. As my Wife had said the battery had full charge but nothing was working. I first checked all the fuses and breakers on the Generator, Battery compartment, Storage area,and main breaker. All were good. As I was checking the one fuse in the storage area by the back wall I heard a small noise like a faint beeping. I then decided to check the jacking system. This is were I believe that I found the issue. I decided to plug into my truck thinking that this might help. After plugging the truck up I heard a beeping sound from the jacking system monitor. When I opened it up.... it was reading that it needed to be cleared. I reset and turned it off. In doing this I immediately had power to the trailer. Starting the Generator and all functions that were useless before. What I am thinking is that when the battery ran down and the solar panel was installed. Which did charge the battery. It initialized the jacking system monitor which needed to be reset or cleared.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
Jager

Jeff and Rita - would be helpful if you filled in your signature so we know what you have for a RV. Mine has no "jacking system monitor". Not even sure what that is.