Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
f6bits

I have encrypted DNS with OpenDNS.org servers. That’s the only DNS I use.

As far as sniffing SSL/TLS, what good is encrypted data if you don’t have the private key?

Scott

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #22
mikell

Ok on the campground owners end what should they do
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #23
f6bits

That’s a tough one. I’d turn on WPA2 encryption, but some older computers can’t handle it. At a local university, they run parallel networks: one encrypted, and one unencrypted as a fallback for those who can’t run WPA2.

Here’s a brief primer:
http://www.wikihow.com/Secure-Your-W...s-Home-Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Ok on the campground ownres end what should they do

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
geo

Mikell -

I fully agree with Scott - you need to run security access on the WiFi such as WPA2 Encryption. And for campers to gain access, you need to provide them with a password. But, in addition to the password, why not also provide them with the name of the WiFi network to assure they are connecting to the correct network. I would guess that most all the computers equiped with an internal WiFi antenna would be capable of WPA2, so you are probably pretty safe. Knowing the correct network to connect to . . . that seems obvious but I have never had a campground give that to me unless I asked, and then most times I get a blank stare. Most times I'm told to connect to the "best signal". No more comments to that.

Scott - Of course you are right on with the comments! And you are correct about this "encryption" that we all rely upon to protect our trusted computer connections. But a Private Key and TLS are no better than heavy doors and locks on a vault. If a shady character can capture this information, given some time, he can break/hack it. But that's the whole point, it takes too much effort! It's simpler to catch that computer user over there who is not using proper security measures and let this more difficult one go!

When originally posted, my purpose was to try to encourage our forum members to think more securely and to practice better computer security techniques. I'm sure that you noticed in the thread, even one of our moderators caught a virus on his computer and had to take it in for removal. I would tend to doubt if any of us will actually experience a "faked network snoop", but I would like all of us to know how easy it is to do!

Now, you seem quite pleased with OpenDNS.org. That service does have some good points. Personally I don't particularly care for it because of the advertisements and the way it redirects some search engine queries. I realize it does have a "free" and a "paid" subscription service. But I'm just not ready to put all my trust in it.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
smiller

One relatively simple and very secure method is to use a VPN service. When connected via a VPN your transmissions will be encrypted to the point that they hit the service provider's Internet connection, which will be way past anything at your campground.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #26
michael

Microsoft Essentials is awsome
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #27
mikell

We have password protection and 3 networks to choose from depanding on your location in the park. We also change our password every month depending on how thw month ends it's usually during the week when things are slow then just change the password on the reciept form. The locals were tapping in till I switched on a regular basis but they still called and were upset when I told them it was on their reciept????s
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #28
Abnormal

A/V

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Microsoft Essentials is awsome
Totally agree.
FYI - Windows Defender is included with Windows 8 and 8.1.
To any Windows XP users, please upgrade to a newer version of Windows before April 2014! Support is ending.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-support-help

2010 Passport 300BH
Abnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #29
Johnnyfry

Use a VPN

A lot of the internet insecurity comes from the fact that unencrypted traffic flows between you and the campground WiFi router. Some, NOT ALL, banks encrypt from the beginning of the connection, (that is, before you put in the account name and password) but on those who do not is is possible for a 3rd party to intercept the name/password sent in the clear and subsequently log in to your account.

A VPN (Virtual Private Network) encrypts all communication between you and the router, all the way to the exit point to the internet. I use "ProXPN". It is simple to set up and use and costs about $75/year for a subscription. There are other VPN services available, of course, and you should check around.

If you choose to go with ProXpn® (www.proxpn.com) use the discount coupon SN20, (courtesy of the Security Now® podcast ) to get a 20% discount for the life of your account. BTW: Security Now Poscast is a great way to bone up on internet security and new developments.

Happy camping,
John Freitag
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #30
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
...Some, NOT ALL, banks encrypt from the beginning of the connection, (that is, before you put in the account name and password) but on those who do not is is possible for a 3rd party to intercept the name/password sent in the clear and subsequently log in to your account.
While I don't know everything about every banks online banking system... It would take some serious proof to even come close to convincing me that ANY bank out there would have ANY portion of the login process to be conducted in an unencrypted manner.

I'll go as far as to say you are wrong. Would gladly look at any evidence you have yo the contrary.

Keep in mind that while a banks "home" or landing page may not be encrypted, and it may have a login box in some corner of the page.... A page can have mixed content (encrypted and unencrypted).
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #31
Bob Landry

My security solution is a Virgin Mobil Hot Spot that is password protected so no one but us can connect to it. It's about $50 a month and a lot of folks are not going to want to spend that much, but DW also uses it at work because her iPad doesn't work well on their wi-fi. We also both use MacBooks when traveling and while they may not be 100% secure, I'm pretty comfortable with them. Probably when the hackers figure out how to writ the code for them that will probably change.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #32
Johnnyfry

Reply to SAD

Kindly go to nfcu.org and note that https: appears before ANY login information is exchanged. This is becoming more common and it IS secure because public key information is exchanged PRIOR to entry of any user information.

It is, in fact, secure. Public key crypto is used to exchange a pre shared key. All subsequent transmissions are secure.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote