Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2023, 07:18 AM   #1
Wes Jackson

Bed removal

Can I remove the bed frame in my 3750 FL completely and replace it with a full size residential bed, my camper is on a permanent site and I will not be moving it
Wes Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:57 AM   #2
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Jackson View Post
Can I remove the bed frame in my 3750 FL completely and replace it with a full size residential bed, my camper is on a permanent site and I will not be moving it
Welcome aboard! Replacing the mattress is easy. The frame could prove more challenging. The bed sits in the slide and the slide floor is higher than the main floor. The new frame would likely need to be modified to sit level. Then...if you ever decided to pull in that slide for any reason the new frame might not play nicely with your floor.

The days of box springs are behind us so, personally, I don't see a compelling reason to consider replacing the frame. IMHO, get your most comfortable foam or composite mattress in the correct size and leave the frame alone. YMMV
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:21 AM   #3
Wes Jackson

Thanks for the reply, I want to replace the bed with a full size because it is hard for me to change the sheets and make the bed up, I live alone and do not need a king size bed, I woul also like to remove the storage area that ia accessible from the outside under the slide out!
Old 10-10-2023, 08:55 AM   #4
jsb5717

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I want to replace the bed with a full size because it is hard for me to change the sheets and make the bed up, I live alone and do not need a king size bed, I woul also like to remove the storage area that ia accessible from the outside under the slide out!
Changing from a King to a Queen is pretty easy. I did that in our rig. I pulled the plywood platform out of our trailer and cut it down narrower to accommodate a queen mattress. Then reinstalled and bought a queen mattress. Problem solved. You can easily adapt the current platform do be as narrow as the pedestal allows (it's typically narrow enough to allow some flexibility). Just measure twice and cut once.

When you say you want to remove the storage are you talking about under the bed platform inside the pedestal? I guess I'm wondering why it matters. You don't have to use it if you don't want to if you just don't need the storage.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:30 AM   #5
Wes Jackson

Basically I want to make the area where the bed is located flat all the way to the exterior wall so that I can put in a regular full size bed so that I'll have more room on both sides of the bed
Old 10-10-2023, 09:33 AM   #6
Wes Jackson

The storage area I was refering to is the one that is accessible from outside, that is what the bed frame attaches to
Old 10-10-2023, 11:45 AM   #7
jsb5717

Quote:
The storage area I was refering to is the one that is accessible from outside, that is what the bed frame attaches to
But what do you mean you want to remove that storage? I guess I'm not following. What would you do with that space?
Old 10-10-2023, 11:46 AM   #8
jsb5717

Quote:
Basically I want to make the area where the bed is located flat all the way to the exterior wall so that I can put in a regular full size bed so that I'll have more room on both sides of the bed
Sounds like you're making more work for yourself than necessary and creating a future problem if that slide ever needs to come back in for some reason. As I said earlier, you can gain more room around the bed simply by cutting down the existing plywood platform and buying a smaller mattress.
Old 10-10-2023, 12:04 PM   #9
Wes Jackson

my bed has storage that is accessible from the inside as well as the outside, I want to make that entire area flat to put a regular bed there, I am trying to figure out if the slide mechanism is in that area and if so I would need to build a platform for the bed to sit on, just trying to get more room around the bed to make it easier to get in bed as well as changing the bedding, I appreciate all the questions as they make me think harder and I am probably not explaining what I am wanting in a way that is easy to understand
Old 10-10-2023, 01:32 PM   #10
notanlines

When we converted our king to a queen in the Suites we started by removing the mattress first, and then completely dismantling the bed wooden frame. The carpet in the bedroom is one solid piece, meaning it is also under the bed, so we simply cut the existing parts down to a queen-sized bed frame and reconstructed same.
You will want to be careful in your decision because any new buyers will probably not want a full-sized bed.
I believe Danny also cut his frame down from king to queen. He might have something to add.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:34 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Yes we cut ours down from king to queen. For us a queen gives plenty of room to get around the bed. We both make the bed together with one on each side and there is plenty of room. The mod is not hard.

OP if I'm understanding correctly you are wanting to literally remove everything associated with the RV bed pedestal and all so you have a flat floor like in a house then you want to put in a regular full size bed and residential frame? Why? I know you said the camper is on a permanent site and YOU wouldn't be moving it but what if you sell? A regular bed on a regular frame is not going to work well in an RV if anyone tries to move it anywhere. Everything in an RV is tacked down for a reason.

You mentioned to make it easier to get into bed; is the bed too high? That's a different dilemma than getting around it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 12:32 PM   #12
Wes Jackson

Thanks for the replies, You have given me some options to consider.

Tags
bed