Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Looks to me like it's Acetone and heptane, pressurized with CO2. Nothing you can't buy at Ace Hardware by the quart in the paint and solvents department (without the CO2 and Heptane)... Pour a little on a rag, rub GENTLY on the pine tar spot and then wipe with a cloth wetted with "plain water".....

ADDED: Thinking about it after making this post, I'm not certain that Acetone would be safe to use on the TPO membrane.

I've always thought, "It's the roof, nobody sees it, why be anal about keeping it clean?" My belief is that the more I scrub with things that dissolve the membrane, the shorter its life.... Since it's out of sight/out of mind, why focus on keeping it spotless ???? YMMV
Ouch. I wouldn't even consider using acetone, MEK, Goof Off, or the other really strong hydrocarbons. They dissolve darn near everything. I suppose Eternabond gets away with it because you're prepping to put their patch tape over that spot anyway. I guess I'll go with the mineral spirits and hope I don't need to scrub to get the sap off.

I had to at least clean the slide roof, to remove all the pine needles I carried home from Vermont, so they don't end up inside the rig. There are still some stuck in sap on the main roof which I really ought to address. I used to get up on the roof of my last rig, but given my current weight and my progressing balance issues, I'm going to be stuck dragging a ladder around for this job.

I'd also like to inspect my omni antenna and see if it suffers from multiple broken inductors like another poster found, because its performance is generally awful... but I really think I would need to put at least some of my weight on the roof to do that.