Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
Big 417

Interior glass door to garage

Hi all, brand new member here. I'll get around to introducing myself better in the brand new member thread later lol

We own a 2018 fuzion 417. She's been rattled around last season, gone in for the typical issues that arise with all new units. Dealer fixed what they could/would. The rest I'll handle. Here's my question, regarding the glass interior door to the garage. The top and bottom hinges have some slop in them now, not terrible, but enough that the latch doesn't click closed as nice as it should. It appears as though they are bolted from the top and bottom of the aluminum frame. One would have to take the frame out to tighten I think. No biggie, I bend nails for a living, and a doors a door right lol

But here's part 2 of the question. The door currently swings into the center of the garage, rather then against the wall. Do any of you know if that's for a specific reason? I'd rather the open door was against the wall rather than sticking out in the room, as it only swings open just past 90°. It gets bumped lots by the kids. Which probably is the cause of the loose hinges. Upon a quick visual, the frame looks universal as far as swing. As in it can be flipped to work.

Sorry, that's long winded lol. Let's hear what you all have to say.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
mtofell

I can't help with much but what stops the door from swinging past 90 degrees? If it's just the shock absorber you can just pop that off in seconds. I had one on the main entry door for my 5th and it drove me nuts. I took it off and got one of the latch/holders to mount on the RV that holds it 180 open.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
Big 417

No, there's no strut on that door. The door actually contacts the aluminum extruded frame it's sits in. Not a great design as there is a lot of leverage applied to the point. I've drank more than one beer pondering the door swing. It would function equally well either way when the sxs is in there. Would actually make it better to walk around the front of the machine to access the ensuite.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:54 PM   #4
Big 417

I just realized I posted this in 5th wheels, not toy hauler. Any way to move the thread? Admin?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I'll move the thread to toyhaulers area.

Looking at the brochures for 2017-2018, the floorplan shows the garage glass door hinged on the trailer sidewall (curb) side and swinging against the sidewall, not swinging into the garage center area. Why the brochure shows one and the trailers built another ??? Keystone probably won't provide an answer and will point to the disclaimer: "Manufacturing changes may not be reflected in this brochure".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Big 417

Hey thanks for moving it!

Yeah, seems weird. Just the flavor of the day at the plant maybe. I will just change the swing, no need to waist time consulting Keystone ��
Old 04-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If you "run into any issues" post them because if you wanted it improved, chances are very good other owners of the same floorplan will also want it improved. The "secrets you discovered" will make it go smoother for them....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #8
LewisB

It is not a direct correlation, but might help some...our 2018 Raptor 353TS has a sliding glass door to the garage - I was able to flip the panels and reverse the opening from the outer edge to the center. I know it's not the same as your swinging door, but I'm wondering if Keystone might always use doors/frames that can easily be reversed? You might check to see if the same might be true for your swinging door.

Good luck with your project.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
It is not a direct correlation, but might help some...our 2018 Raptor 353TS has a sliding glass door to the garage - I was able to flip the panels and reverse the opening from the outer edge to the center. I know it's not the same as your swinging door, but I'm wondering if Keystone might always use doors/frames that can easily be reversed? You might check to see if the same might be true for your swinging door.

Good luck with your project.
I think so, just a quick glance says it's possible. It's a one piece frame. Take out, flip end over end. I think the handle is fine either way too. Little lock latch will be on top of the handle now lol.

I'll be sure to take some pics when I do it. She's still encased in 2 feet of snow....😳
Old 04-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
I think so, just a quick glance says it's possible. It's a one piece frame. Take out, flip end over end. I think the handle is fine either way too. Little lock latch will be on top of the handle now lol.

I'll be sure to take some pics when I do it. She's still encased in 2 feet of snow....😳
When you get that far along with the project, you'll probably find that the handle will "flip over too". Just leave the plunger/striker plate in place, pull the handle and turn it over, install the inside on the outside and vice/versa. That's the way our bathroom door handle works on our Cougar... Hopefully it's the same on your trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #11
Big 417

Well I got around to reversing the door swing today. Easy peasy. No issues at all. All I need is a small rubber bumper on the window Vallance box. What a difference it makes to the space, now the kid can do cartwheels without smacking into the door lol. I'm attempting to post pics, I know everyone loves pics.......

Ok apperently I need to research how to post pics.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
Big 417

Here's the pics, I hope lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20200411_152422.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	26386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200412_125506.jpg
Views:	175