Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
JimSchwenk

Roof hole repair

My 26 RB Campfire stays in the woods at a campground. It gets dirty, so the photos you'll see are actually tree dirt and dirty ice. In December I stopped by to check on things and found a small tree branch had fallen and was stuck right into the roof like a spear. Believe it or not, it only went through the actual top roof fabric, no holes or water see inside anywhere (it should be right around the doorway to the rear bathroom).
Anyway, it was cold and rainy so I covered it with a Wal-Mart bag and two bricks. Too cold and dirty for gorilla tape, etc.
Checked back a few times and it was always intact and dry inside. Now it's finally spring and I'll have running water and power up there on April 3rd, time to fix it up along a few other things that are on the list.
The hole is about the size of a Kennedy half dollar, so what are the pro's and cons for patching after I clean the roof? (Already have the good roof cleaner stuff and sealer, because it always gets dirty up there). This is a "walkable" roof.
Is this a rare case when the dreaded Eternabond could be used? It's literally less than an inch across. There appear to be no other systems, wires, etc. anywhere close to the area, so I don't expect to ever have to open it up for any other repairs or mods. Too much volume to stuff it and pour self-leveling in there; I'd think it would never dry.
Ideas? Thanks ahead of time, you guys rock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200301_112820502.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	25804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200301_112758879.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	615.7 KB
ID:	25805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200301_112751800.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	25806  
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #2
GASMAN6674

I would clean it stuff some foam or insulation in it and eternabond it.
Be sure to wipe it with rubbing alcohol before you apply the tape
2015 F350 CC Dually 4:30 & 6.2L
GASMAN6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Logan X

If it only punctured the roof membrane I would put some eternabond tape on it and call it a day.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It looks like the OSB roof decking is also perforated. If it is, then you need to put an aluminum sheet over the hole in the OSB. If you don't, then as the TPO/EPDM membrane gets hot, it will sag into the hole and any water, dew, rain, dirt will pool in that indention. Cut a piece of 0.032 aluminum sheet slightly larger than the hole, then carefully work it under the roof membrane so it completely covers the hole in the OSB. Then clean the membrane well and put a single layer of Eternabond tape over the damaged spot. BE SURE TO OVERLAP AT LEAST 2" IN ALL DIRECTIONS.....

Roll over the Eternabond to make sure you have good adhesion, then use DICOR self leveling sealant to overlay the entire patch, making sure the DICOR contacts the original roof on all edges of the patch.

Let it dry, it'll be "permanent" but you'll need to touch up the DICOR sealant annually (or sooner if needed....

Don't worry about nailing or securing the aluminum patch to the OSB, the Eternabond will hold it in position once it's applied to the hole.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
Roscommon48

What's the problem, just tape it....life goes on.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
Northofu1

John's method seems to make more sense. That's what I would do.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
JimSchwenk

Thanks to all for your replies. And that was a good catch, mentioning to take care of the OSB puncture underneath. See, I was thinking eternabond, but I've read so much entertaining crap here about folks using it where they shouldn't, I figured, why not run it by some guys who have either been there and done that, or else watched somebody else screw it up?
I'll gather the necessary toys and tools and get after it next weekend.
Yeah, I could have taped it, but I used to get to see what happened to military grade sealants on a Tomcat at Mach 2 when they flew before it was set up properly. Sooner or later, mean old Mr. Wind has a way of grabbing things and peeling them off at highway speeds.
Everybody have a great week. We are hunkered down by order here in Eastern PA, but the campground got a reprieve - allowed to open but only for annual guests and no visitors or bathhouse. I can live with that; that's why I got a real porcelain toilet, LOL
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSchwenk View Post
Thanks to all for your replies. And that was a good catch, mentioning to take care of the OSB puncture underneath. See, I was thinking eternabond, but I've read so much entertaining crap here about folks using it where they shouldn't, I figured, why not run it by some guys who have either been there and done that, or else watched somebody else screw it up?
I'll gather the necessary toys and tools and get after it next weekend.
Yeah, I could have taped it, but I used to get to see what happened to military grade sealants on a Tomcat at Mach 2 when they flew before it was set up properly. Sooner or later, mean old Mr. Wind has a way of grabbing things and peeling them off at highway speeds.
Everybody have a great week. We are hunkered down by order here in Eastern PA, but the campground got a reprieve - allowed to open but only for annual guests and no visitors or bathhouse. I can live with that; that's why I got a real porcelain toilet, LOL
Most of the negatives for using the Eternabond are referring to areas that it may have to be removed for a repair at some time, such as front/rear cap joints or around vents. Using it to cover rips/tears or in your case a puncture would be a perfect spot for it's use.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof