Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2020, 03:52 AM   #1
CrazyCain

Stay at home/Lock down states

Here is Michigan we are in a Stay at Home order, i am laid off from my job at the current time. I was thinking this is the perfect time to do some general maintenance on my Trailer. Unfortunately it is 2.5 hours away from me and with the order, i really can't go get it as travel like this is discouraged and deemed unnecessary/unessential......how's things in your state? Stay Safe ya'll

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #2
hornet28

Go get it. Gas stations are open. As you said the order doesn't forbid travel just discourages it. If you need fuel just keep away from people while doing it use your credit card and disposable gloves for the pump handle. You've read that the state parks are open, but not the campgrounds, and people being encouraged to get out enjoy them. They have even suspended the use fee for the time being
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
pikespeakviewer

If you go and get your trailer, can you do it without having to interact with other people?

Can you do contactless payment at the gas station?

Will you have to go the stores to get items to do your maintenance? Can you order the items online?

There's a stay at home order for a reason. Be safe and stay healthy.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
CrazyCain

It is tempting to go get it and i am sure I would have no problems. I can go up there without social contact at the pumps and all that. I really am sticking to my social distancing hard core, just me..... Walks and outside yard work..plenty of stuff (DW to do list) around the stick and brickstead..

I have seen pictures from "friends" that went to the state parks around me and they are jammed packed with people and cars....

It was just a passing thought, figured u would just share it to you all.. Spring is here and this Virus thing will pass eventually....

Stay safe
Tom

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn't hesitate to go get it. Sounds like you can get it with limited/no exposure. I don't have problems with social distancing. I just give folks a gruff look and most people "steer clear" of "the grumpy old man"!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Sounds like your going to stay home anyway. If like in this state no police will stop you unless your committing a major crime. It's easy to stay 6 ft away from others. Plan ahead bring your food just stop and refuel. Wear gloves if you want or clean hands every time you touch something others have. Masks, wear them if you want. I am still waiting to wear my full face protective mask with the orange filters hanging on the sides and speak like darth vader to the clerks. I even know how the proper method of don and doff the mask. Get the RV home and do what you want with it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
glendar10

Travel

Ha all I live in Illinois and we are in stay in place order, does any one know if we can go camping? We would be driving through at least 3states. They are Illinois Michigan Indiana Kentucky Tennessee, we would stay at camp ground for most likely a week but drive around but bet no Attraction will be open? We are renting a fifth wheel and not sure it won’t be until the end of May that we are planing. But need t figure out if we can go before the first of may.
Thanks
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
Ha all I live in Illinois and we are in stay in place order, does any one know if we can go camping? We would be driving through at least 3states. They are Illinois Michigan Indiana Kentucky Tennessee, we would stay at camp ground for most likely a week but drive around but bet no Attraction will be open? We are renting a fifth wheel and not sure it won’t be until the end of May that we are planing. But need t figure out if we can go before the first of may.
Thanks
Things changed today (from yesterday) and will probably change again tomorrow, based on what we're doing today... So, it would take a fortune teller to know what's going to be "OK to do" next week, much less next month or the month after.... Hopefully, by May, this will all be behind us and we'll be back to "life as normal"... But...….

You may find that you can travel freely through all of those states, but you can't get anything to eat, can't find a place to park for the night and can't find anything to do "at your destination". Or, you may find that it's cheaper than last year with just as many stores, campground and attractions open for business... It's impossible to know with any certainty what tomorrow brings, who can even guess "early May" …..

Now, all that said, do you really want to expose your family to travel into or through areas that might be "more dangerous" than where you are located? or possibly, get somewhere to find that tomorrow morning, the local government issues a "change in confinement orders" and locks down the entire county, or that your home state restricts all travel from Indiana ???? Unless you're really a "take a chance gambler" you might not want to "risk the family's health" over "we want to go camping"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Things changed today (from yesterday) and will probably change again tomorrow, based on what we're doing today... So, it would take a fortune teller to know what's going to be "OK to do" next week, much less next month or the month after.... Hopefully, by May, this will all be behind us and we'll be back to "life as normal"... But...….

You may find that you can travel freely through all of those states, but you can't get anything to eat, can't find a place to park for the night and can't find anything to do "at your destination". Or, you may find that it's cheaper than last year with just as many stores, campground and attractions open for business... It's impossible to know with any certainty what tomorrow brings, who can even guess "early May" …..

Now, all that said, do you really want to expose your family to travel into or through areas that might be "more dangerous" than where you are located? or possibly, get somewhere to find that tomorrow morning, the local government issues a "change in confinement orders" and locks down the entire county, or that your home state restricts all travel from Indiana ???? Unless you're really a "take a chance gambler" you might not want to "risk the family's health" over "we want to go camping"....

Another reason i'm staying off the roads, people are not liking us "down stater's coming up north. Personally i would not feel right pulling my trailer during this time of trouble. In the governor's update this morning, she really made it clear to not do any nonessential traveling, just stay home she said..what if i where to break down, get sick while up there. Plus the park sent out a letter pretty much saying, don't come up. I'm in good with the good folks at the park and don't want to screw it up...Trailer can wait for this to pass and not anytime soon....Now the snowbirds are due to arrive at their trailers very soon..that's another story on it's own

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 03-26-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
Vet4jdc

If it's not breaking the law, I would go get that trailer.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:56 PM   #11
Jfreek65

I’d say go get it and get your maintenance done. I installed a backup camera today and started assembling new rock tamers for my tow vehicle.
1965 International Scout 80
Jfreek65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:38 AM   #12
Camp CA

Today we our towing our fifth wheel trailer from a "shelter in place" county, where we have been been camping for several weeks, 220 miles to our "shelter in place" county, where we live, to store our fifth wheel trailer and shelter in place at home. The California highway patrol advised me there are no highway restrictions. Hoping for a safe and uneventful drive home with one stop mid-way for diesel and diesel exhaust fluid (we have disposable gloves and masks).
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #13
gearhead

Get out there and enjoy yourself. Only thing different around here is no dining in restaurants and many government offices are closed to the public.
If everyone just sits home we'll let this country disintegrate and have riots and street warfare for food. I wouldn't grab all the playground equipment without gloves, but go to a park and relax, maybe without TV. Spend some money.
What am I doing? Mostly babysitting and yardwork. Waiting on Home Depot to deliver the clothes dryer for the 5th.
ooops...forgot I need to go to the hardware store.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #14
TLB

I'm from Michigan also but my wife and I are both listed as essential by our employers and have been supplied with papers to carry if we are pulled over to question why we are traveling.
But so far the police say they are not going to pull people over to check because they want as little contact with people as possible.
Very strange seeing places closed that normally be open on my travels to and from work.

So I too say go get it and get things ready for when things get back to normal.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
my wife and I are both listed as essential by our employers and have been supplied with papers to carry if we are pulled over to question why we are traveling.
Reason #137 for being self-employed...
Old 03-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post

Or retired.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Or retired.
Or both. DW and I are both retired, both are associate professors at DeVry's online university. Between doing "the retired stuff", doting over the GGD and teaching there's "precious little spare time" to do those essential things....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #18
crk112

Our "order" in Minnesota is pretty lax. They recognize that people still have lives to live, so our shelter-in-place order actually explicitly allows going out for outdoor activities, including for hunting, fishing, even "driving for pleasure". It's not clear to me whether camping would fall under that, but I don't see why not. Unfortunately, Minnesota DNR has closed all the state park campgrounds.

Additionally, Minnesota DPS issued a memo to state law enforcement encouraging an "educational" approach rather than a "enforcement" approach when "dealing with potential violations" of the order.

I brought my camper home from storage yesterday. We can still go out for food, gas, groceries, supplies, tools, parts. Our schools will be distance learning through April and my wife and I will be working from home until at least then also. We both also have "essential workforce" letters from our employers but we likely wouldn't have to invoke those anyway.
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:01 AM   #19
Ken / Claudia

Its pretty clear, Tom knows he can go and get the trailer, he just does not want to. Which is Okay with me. I play the what if game everyday I put on a police uniform. We should weigh the pros/cons to many things we do and hope we can live with the decision.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:23 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Maryland Update

Following is a link from the governor. https://governor.maryland.gov/2020/0...ctive-tonight/

It specifically explains campgrounds...

"Guidance for Campgrounds. Campgrounds are now required to close, with the exception to residents of recreational vehicles at campgrounds who genuinely have no other viable place of residence. These individuals should continue to comply with CDC guidelines regarding social distancing. Read the interpretive guidance."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote