Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
Ginnylarry1

Fuzion tailgate door wont latch after new seal replaced

This is NOT an April fools joke...we have a 2019 Fuzion Toyhauler and just got it back from camping world in Ft Myers from having the back seal and a couple of windows replaced. The back seal leaked a lot in one corner, and after 2 months, we got it back and parked it in the garage. We took it out today to load it up as a test run, and the back won’t latch with the new seal. We know to have the door open on the side, and have checked the pins that hold the cables if you want to make it into a patio. We discovered when one was inside and the other outside that the two clamps that are supposed to clamp around the pins on the door aren’t closing. We can’t figure out how to make them work correctly. We think it is because the new seal is sticking up too far, but if we mess with the seal, it will leak again. Any suggestions? I tried calling Keystone Company and they’re closed because of Covid19
Ginnylarry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd make a "WAG" that the door was "properly closed and sealed" when you picked it up from the dealer and towed it home ?????

If so, the question would be "why won't it close again"???

If not, the question (to the dealer's service manager) would be "How did you get it closed and I can't" ???

I'd call the dealer to get a resolution. Since they "changed parts/adjusted parts" any "words from Keystone Customer Service" are going to be "what it should be when it left the factory" not "what it is after the dealer changed it up"....

Call the dealer, Keystone won't have your answers (other than who will pay for the warranty repair)….

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
K_N_L

Longshot but - can you check that the hex bolts that hold the latches (across the top) in place are tight? One side of mine loosened and it would not latch. I generally have to slam it good to get both sides latched properly.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Ginnylarry1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd make a "WAG" that the door was "properly closed and sealed" when you picked it up from the dealer and towed it home ?????

If so, the question would be "why won't it close again"???

If not, the question (to the dealer's service manager) would be "How did you get it closed and I can't" ???

I'd call the dealer to get a resolution. Since they "changed parts/adjusted parts" any "words from Keystone Customer Service" are going to be "what it should be when it left the factory" not "what it is after the dealer changed it up"....

Call the dealer, Keystone won't have your answers (other than who will pay for the warranty repair)….
I did call the dealer this morning, and no return call yet. We figured they did something to get it closed and hoped we wouldn’t open it there before we made the 2 hour trip back to Sebring.(we didn’t) We picked it up 2 weeks ago and just backed it into the garage until this morning when we discovered the problem. My husband took 2 straps and hooked them onto the door from the inside and ratcheted it and heard the clamp parts hook, and will leave it ratcheted for a while, but this was a pain.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
travelin texans

This is the perfect example to ALL RV owners, NEVER leave the repair facility before checking/confirming/approving all work supposedly done by someone else. This has been brought up numerous times on several forums all stating they ASSUMED the work was done &/or done correctly. Nowadays NEVER assume anything from anyone.
Your better off, if physically able & know a screwdriver from a pair of pliers, to make the repairs yourself. Even if you don't know how you'll do better job, ask here, someone has probably done it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
Ginnylarry1

My husband ended up making most of the 17 repairs after visiting CW dealers in the Villages and Chattanooga, TN. They also told us they replaced 2 windows as well as the seal around the back tailgate. You couldn’t tell until he got a light in the garage and shined it on the window, that the window they supposedly replaced still had the water drip marks on the inside of the window that was leaking. The front window by the bed we know was replaced because they left the mess on the dresser. Be assured that my husband knows how to fix most things, but when you but an RV that lists over $100k you expect some level of professionalism. We’ve had $18k RV’s that were better than this one. We are not novices, and when the service writer gives us such a song and dance when we picked it up about being a biker and a veteran himself, you’d think he might know something.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnylarry1 View Post
My husband ended up making most of the 17 repairs after visiting CW dealers in the Villages and Chattanooga, TN. They also told us they replaced 2 windows as well as the seal around the back tailgate. You couldn’t tell until he got a light in the garage and shined it on the window, that the window they supposedly replaced still had the water drip marks on the inside of the window that was leaking. The front window by the bed we know was replaced because they left the mess on the dresser. Be assured that my husband knows how to fix most things, but when you but an RV that lists over $100k you expect some level of professionalism. We’ve had $18k RV’s that were better than this one. We are not novices, and when the service writer gives us such a song and dance when we picked it up about being a biker and a veteran himself, you’d think he might know something.
Now that you've seen the reality of RV's, use your experiences to prevent the same thing from happening again, the next time some "sweet talking salesman or service writer" smiles in your direction..... Good luck with your RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I have an Impact with the same system. Could you post a/some pictures of your issue? That would help.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
Ginnylarry1

I can’t get a good picture of it now cause my husband put ratchet straps on the door and tightened it down to maybe make the new gasket flatten out a bit.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
mcomeaux

Do you have the electronic latches with the solenoids or the manual latches?
My first fuzion had the electronic catches and on delivery we could not secure door. turned out the salesman on the PDI did not turn the key back to off after opening the door and toasted the solenoids. I canceled the purchase because of that reason because i could see myself 1000 miles from home and having similiar happening then. I decided to go with the 345 with manual latches instead...much happier. Service manager grumbled it was his 3rd time replacing the solenoids on "That" trailer due to salesman lack of knowledge...That was enough for me...
Old 04-03-2020, 05:06 AM   #11
Ginnylarry1

Thank you so much. We do have the electronic latches but when we put the key in it automatically shuts itself off...must be they fixed THAT problem.

Tags
fuzion