Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
Brantlyj

24/7 shore power

I have the ability to run a 30 amp circuit out to the trailer. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the time and money to do so.

Someone a while back mentioned they liked to keep their trailer plugged in as the converter will keep the battery charged. However, the first thing I did when I bought it was to install a disconnect. As long as I remember to flip it, draining the battery shouldn’t be an issue.

It would be nice to leave the fridge running so I could keep refrigerated staples such as ketchup and mustard, left over pop/beer/water, etc. It would be nice to not have to pack common items in and out for every trip. I recall one time having the dogs on sticks and realizing I forgot mustard. Luckily we were at a KOA so I could grab a bottle from the camp store. I paid dearly for it though. Like liquid gold.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #2
travelin texans

If you're going to go to all work/expense just run heavy enough wire for a 50 amp circuit then put the 15/30/50 amp service box, now you're ready for any RV you may want to park & connect.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you're going to go to all work/expense just run heavy enough wire for a 50 amp circuit then put the 15/30/50 amp service box, now you're ready for any RV you may want to park & connect.
I thought about that. The trailer is wired for 50 amp, but if all I’m going to run is the fridge then 50 amp is overkill. Plus I really don’t want to try to push 4 10 gauge wires through conduit....
Old 03-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
busterbrown

I think this is something for you to decide on your own. If you feel an RV will be apart of the family for quite sometime and you'd like the convenience of having shore power 24/7 during camping season, I say that's a fair argument to do the install.

If, on the other hand, the days of RV ownership are looking less likely or the frequency of the RV vacations are becoming less and less, it may not be worth the cost (or trouble).

You are one of the lucky ones though to be given that option. The township laws that govern my subdivision prevent long term storage or utility hook ups to RVs. Otherwise, I'd be storing my coach at home.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I think this is something for you to decide on your own. If you feel an RV will be apart of the family for quite sometime and you'd like the convenience of having shore power 24/7 during camping season, I say that's a fair argument to do the install.

If, on the other hand, the days of RV ownership are looking less likely or the frequency of the RV vacations are becoming less and less, it may not be worth the cost (or trouble).

You are one of the lucky ones though to be given that option. The township laws that govern my subdivision prevent long term storage or utility hook ups to RVs. Otherwise, I'd be storing my coach at home.
I can’t keep mine at home either. Luckily we have a family business and I park it behind the building.
I guess I’m more looking to see if it’s practical to do as I mentioned and leave the fridge running and leaving refrigerated staples in it. Not sure if other people do that or if the fridge will frost over and create more work defrosting it.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:23 AM   #6
Frank G

To answer your basic question, we leave ours plugged in 24/7. No battery issues and always ready to go. We also leave the RV fridge on in season. With a 30A circuit you can keep the fridge on and run the AC without issue. 15+7=22 Amps. This setup allows the DW to go in and do her cleaning and prep work for the next trip in comfort.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
LewisB

I would lean toward the 50A service for a 50A trailer. The incremental cost to go from 30A to 50A will be less than doing the job twice (sort of like buying your next truck). You may not need or use it now, but what if things change in the future? Even though it is at the shop, when the DW throws you into the "dog house", it might be nice to have a retreat that is fully functional Also nice to have a space away from the house when "cousin Eddy Griswold" shows up

We leave our trailer plugged in to a 50A service we installed. Our 5th wheel is also our "guest house" and we need to run 3 AC units when we use it during the summer (in Tucson).
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
Lee

I am fortunate to have covered, powered storage on my property. TT stays plugged in 24/7.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #9
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
I can’t keep mine at home either. Luckily we have a family business and I park it behind the building.
I guess I’m more looking to see if it’s practical to do as I mentioned and leave the fridge running and leaving refrigerated staples in it. Not sure if other people do that or if the fridge will frost over and create more work defrosting it.
I am fortunate enough to live in Texas and had a pad poured and a nice cover built, with water and 30 amp service, no pesky rules here. The Camper is always plugged in and we can run the fridge and AC getting it ready for the next trip.

The camper also gets regular use as a "guest suite".

-Brian
Old 03-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
Logan X

I put in 30 amp service for my trailer in the back yard. I keep the fridge on all the time with condiments and things like that in it. We also use our trailer as a guest house. It was well worth it to install the 30 amp plug.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power