Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Marcummama

No school, thanks 'Rona!

Afternoon y'all

I need help!

I've read and watched countless articles and videos on the best internet options for RV's.
None that quite answer my questions.

Here's my deal....My son is now out of school thanks to COVID19. Sounds like indefinite.
So we've been doing all of our work on the tablet or my phone for video chat (class time)
After 1 week of my normal use and his class work we have gone way over on the data for the internal hotspot. My carrier is waving fees at this time, but the internet is definitely slower.

1st question....what kind of device should I get? ATT has the router and modem all in 1 lil box. Unlimited for 50.
That sounds like the best deal. But what about a hotspot, mifi, jetpack..yadda, yadda...?

2and Question
If I go with a portable hotspot or the other....
How the heck do I hook it up? They say it's quick and easy, but...I'm skeptical.
I guess I should include that my son and myself are on the internet quite a lot. We don't have tv, so streaming movies will definitely be a bonus for us.

Anyway this is probably super vague, but o hope someone out there can help me!
Thank you!
Marcummama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
bobbecky

We have a Netgear hotspot that works with the AT&T system, and it’s nothing more than another cell phone but you can’t talk on it. It has its own phone number and generates a WIFI signal and creates a passcode so you can connect your computer and anything else that uses WIFI. We are on an unlimited plan, but with most of these unlimited plans, once you’ve exceeded a certain amount of data, they slow you down during high volume times. Depending on where you are located, we stream things and are generally happy with it.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
Marcummama

Soo...if someone had a hotspot device and it was att compatible, I could just contact them? And how does the hotspot hook up?
Old 04-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

A hot spot is just like going to a restaurant or. business that offers wifi. It will show up as available wifi and you will have the password to log on.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
bobbecky

Our hotspot uses a wall charger just like a phone, and we usually leave it plugged in all the time but it has a battery so you can take it with you, too. There are a couple of settings you can customize, and all that can be done on the small display, or you can connect with a computer.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Marcummama

I understand that and Thank you! I was just trying to figure out what would be better in an rv. Where it hooks up....And if there was any extra wires I'd have to run.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
Frank G

We need to know what services are available to you and at what speed. Without that information it is impossible to advise you.

This ATT service you say is available, what is the advertised speed, is there upgrades available? How is it provided, Phone line? Coax Cable?

Is 5G phone service available?

We reside in a park with remarkable WIFI service. We can stream on multiple devices and subscribe to You Tube TV. This quality of service is rare and not the norm.

If you hook to a WIFI signal you may want to install a Camp Pro2 Alfa Repeater. This system will enhance the signal, provide security and a home network. About $140.00
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

When we are on the road we use a Verizon Jetpack MiFi with an unlimited data plan (as long as there is a cellular data signal). We also have a WeBoost if data signal is weak where we are. We can connect 5 devices, laptop, smartphones, tablets, and even our FireStick for the TV. The jetpack is it’s own WiFi hotspot, so it’s an all in one solution. AT&T has similar devices/plans if you prefer them
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #9
Huntme

I'm a fan of the Jet Pack,Verison it work well for me and my DW,she was sending pictures from the Grand Canyon.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote