Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2020, 07:12 AM   #1
Nomad44

Roof Repair Options

Hello all, I'm new to the forum although I've been viewing the wealth of information in here for some time. I have not found the information I need yet and was hoping to get some help/insight.

Trailer: 2009 Passport Ultra Lite 280BH

Problem: Large water damaged area in the front section of the roof. Plywood substrate is completely rotted and I plan on replacing at least a full sheet of plywood, the wood rafters, insulation and the interior ceiling.

Option 1: I pull the entire membrane off and redo the whole roof. I would likely do this work myself.

Option 2: I pull back the membrane to where the water damage ends, replace the plywood roofing and then put the old membrane back down if it is still good. Has anyone done this? Is this a possibility?

Option 3: Patch in a new section of EPDM that is about 4-6 ft long. I'm concerned about the longevity of patches. Anyone have experience?
Nomad44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
Keystoned

Welcome and sorry to hear about your damage. I recently repaired mine and all I can say is you don't really know until you discover the full truth of the matter. Take it 1 day at a time and the solution will make itself known. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
Nomad44

That's very true! I'm sure there will be some surprises along the way. I've essentially gutted the interior and found plenty already.

I guess my main question is if Option 2 is even an option. Has anyone been able to do this?

Is Option 3 a viable option?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Option 2 is viable, BUT: realize that as you "pull and separate" the existing membrane from the OSB decking, parts of the OSB will adhere to the TPO membrane, parts of the TPO membrane are just as likely to "adhere to the OSB and as you "pull it apart" the TPO stays on the OSB (making holes in the TPO) rendering it "unsuitable for reuse". Also, as you pull on the TPO, you may stretch it, creating 'wrinkles that won't come out" when you lay it back down.

So, is it possible? Yes, is it easy to do or even practical ?? It's a hassle that you might find far more work than the cost of a new membrane and adhesive to install it...

Worth a try, but be prepared to need a new roof if it tears or stretches out of shape.... No matter whether it works or not, you're going to have "ripples and rises" where the OSB flakes are stuck to the TPO, so it won't be as "smooth as new" if it's reused.

Option 3 is possible, but it will put a "new potential source of leaks" across the entire trailer where the old/new TPO is sealed together. Some opt to do it that way, most insurance companies and dealerships will urge you to not do it that way. It's a source of income for the dealer, but if the insurance companies shy away, it's not about the money as much as the reliability issues.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
Nomad44

Unfortunately, you've validated my fears. That's exactly what I was worried about.

I was hoping beyond hope that someone had done this sort of thing before, but I was still thinking that it was a long shot.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a couple of old threads (3 or 4 years ago) where members reported that the dealer (at Keystone's instruction) peeled back a part of the membrane to repair loose screws, staples that were backing out. All of them (as best I remember the threads) were not satisfied with the end result. They all complained of "bumps that weren't there before" and ripples that didn't appear until the roof got hot, then it was obvious the roof membrane has been stretched and didn't "fit correctly"....

Honestly, on an older trailer like you're working on, is "a clean, smooth roof" the objective or is "a roof that's functional, doesn't leak and protects the repaired structure" the important consideration????

If you're doing it to use the trailer I'd try it, on the other hand, if you're doing it to try to get as much out of selling it as possible, then a new roof will probably be "worth the investment" as it will bring a higher return on the investment than all the man hours to save the old membrane....

It depends more on your desired outcome than anything else, IMHO.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
Nomad44

I’d be using the trailer for personal use so the nice clean look is secondary to functionality.

I am concerned about further damage I’m not seeing though. Like Keystoned said, you don’t really know until you discover what’s under there.

Tags
roof, roof repair