Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
CWtheMan

Meandering the USA

As the summer travels of the American people are severely curtailed because of a vast worldwide pandemic, we that traveled this great country can reminisce.

Our travels over the past years were haphazard at best. We never had an agenda other than staying in comfortable climates like north in the summer and south in the winter.

In these posts, I’m just going to write stories as I remember them - with help from my picture files – and provide a brief glimpse of what we saw. This will not be chronological.

This may be different for many travelers that have not set meandering as a sort of agenda.

On this first post I’m picking out a spot in our travels that demonstrates just how rewarding RVing can be.

We had just spent 10 days near Rapid City, SD at the Ellsworth, AFB CG. It was early august and upon leaving SD we were heading south for the winter.

We didn’t travel Inter State highways to save time. We mostly traveled them in the vast wide open areas of the country. So out of Rapid City we took I-80 east to US-81. We had decided to go south through the Kansas & Nebraska heart land. On an afternoon just after crossing into Kansas, we saw a billboard advertising a free city RV park in Concordia, with FHUs. When we got to a road leading into the CG we were undecided about entering because we could not see the CG. However, the road was well paved and right next to a National Guard facility. When we drove around a corner with the CG in view we were flabbergasted. All of the parking sites were paved and some were very long. We stopped and read the CG instructions that just said to pull into any vacant site. There was no attendant and all they requested is to keep the place clean and suggested that donations at a drop box would be greatly appreciated. The city police regularly patrolled the CG and more often at night. There was a full service Wal-Mart within a mile and they had diesel fuel. We ended-up spending two nights there and left 20 bucks in the drop box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KS The City Park Concordia 1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	25699

Name:	KS The City Park Concordia 2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	25700

Name:	KS The City Park Concordia 4.jpg