Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Happy Camper

Smile Surge Protection

Hi All,

Will be picking up our new Laredo 291 TG in a couple weeks and we are very excited.

The dealer recommends a electric surge protection and I agree it sounds like a great item to have. Anybody out there have any good or bad luck with a particular model. Or any insight of what is good or what to avoid. I have noticed that some of them plug in and then the large portion hangs down so that you can shut the electric box and others plug in and are bulky which would not allow the electric box door to shut. Tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Rick
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Jim W

Since my DW and I have upgraded to a Cougar 318SAB with a 50AMP requirements and all the new fancy items it the unit. We decided to purchased a portable 50AMP Surge Guard, part number 18338 from Camping World and they presently have them on sale. We also bought the Surge Guard universal locking hasp, part number 44333. Which will lock the surge guard and the electrical cord together.
I also know if any one really want it they will take the surge guard and electrical cord. But I believe this will help with the insurance co.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Stargazer

We bought a 30A Surge Guard from Camping World. It's extra insurance that gives me peace of mind.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Firecapt

I installed a Progressive Industries hard wired unit into our 5er and couldn't be happier. Since installation it has cut power due to low voltage, and in one case badly wired post. If something goes wrong it tells you (through a code) what the problem is. This allows you to address the issue with the campground management. I have done so and it takes all of the guesswork and speculation out of the equation.

The company is extremely customer oriented and will help you through any issues or questions you may have. I have a story in this arena but won't recount it now.

While it is a bit more expensive than the portable units, the surge protection is better and you won't have to worry about getting it ripped off. Here is the website:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw30c.htm

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Happy Camper

Thanks for the info. I may look into the hardwire box.

Rick
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
kevin

I also have the hard wire Surge Guard unit 50amp. These things work as advertised. easy to wire in and monitor. Have had a few time we lost power and it was a good thing. The issues were with the campgrounds.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote