Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
goingnorth

Added shocks, Passport 290BH Lots of Pics

Here is my shock install, I had 3 1/2"s between the tire and frame on the awning side but never measured the other side which had only 3"s. The shocks on the awning side have about ¾" between shock to frame and shock to tire. When I did the other side I have only 5/8" between shock to frame and 3/8" shock to tire. I called Monroe and they said 1/8" would be the minimum as there is no bulge in the tire at the top while going down the road and there is no lateral movement in the axle What do you think? I can cut the lower bracket down a ¼" which might get me another 1/8" by the tire, the shock can't get any closer to the upper bracket without cutting out the corner which might gain me an 1/8" if I omit 1 washer. That would move the shock to frame to 3/8" and give me 5/8" shock to tire, is that enough to make any difference? Is it worth the trouble?

The shocks are Monroe's 555004's I wish I went with 555003's then they would be more perpendicular to the axles, (less angle) it's hard to visualize what you need until you start to do it with the parts. The lower bracket is rb511 and the upper bracket I bought at Tractor Supply in there bracket and hinge section, it measures 1 ½" deep and 3 1/2" wide inside dimensions. I used #14 sheet metal screws to hold it on. On the slide out side the black and grey tanks butt right up to the frame so I cannot use bolts, no way to get hand between bottom of I beam and tanks, and I would have to remove the gas line. If the #14s start to loosen I will wire brush the galvanizing off the bracket and weld it. The shocks are 14 ½" static lengths and angled at 55 deg.

Slide side

Slide side

Slide side

Awning side

More Pics at mod page.
My Mods.
goingnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
goingnorth

Brackets for shock install.

Also made a rack for grey tank and ladder.

More Pics at mod page.
My Mods.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Nice work, I only had 3/8" clearance from tire to slide mechanism and it was never a problem. Those shocks should improve ride considerably.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
goingnorth

I have about 7 miles of really bad dirt and paved roads to get to the highway and go over the same RR tracks in 3 different places, with out shocks I would wreck this tt. You can only go so slow.

Shocks should be standard.

Thanks for the feed back on the clearance, it has me a little nervous, my road is so rutted right now I can't take it for a test spin, heck i can barly get down the road in my Escape.
My Mods.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
Terrydactile

Have you had your camper out to test the shocks yet? Just curious.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
blarkman

I got my shocks and bkts from Morryde and Dexter and had fab shop install
them about three years ago, cost about 250. a good improvement and several of us have done so, see Montana site
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote