Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
basehorhawk

Denver Area

We are heading to Estes Park from Kansas City next week and I'm looking for some advice on some routes around Denver. Originally I was planning on taking I-70 to E-470 to I-25 to HWY 66 and then 36 in to the campground. Then I heard about the high tolls on E-470 and now I'm exploring other options.

One that I'm looking at is I-70 all the way to 36. My concern is this looks like it will take me through downtown Denver and I'm not sure how that will go towing. Any insights on this route? How is the traffic? Are there any quick exits or anything like that to be concerned about towing?

Thanks in advance for any help.
basehorhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehorhawk View Post
We are heading to Estes Park from Kansas City next week and I'm looking for some advice on some routes around Denver. Originally I was planning on taking I-70 to E-470 to I-25 to HWY 66 and then 36 in to the campground. Then I heard about the high tolls on E-470 and now I'm exploring other options.

One that I'm looking at is I-70 all the way to 36. My concern is this looks like it will take me through downtown Denver and I'm not sure how that will go towing. Any insights on this route? How is the traffic? Are there any quick exits or anything like that to be concerned about towing?

Thanks in advance for any help.
It has been awhile since I have came into Denver from the east. Normally we come in from I76. If you take I70 to I270 and then to US 36 you shouldn't have to much problem. This wont take you into the down town area of Denver but will take you out near the airport where traffic can get a little heavy. Traffic is going to be heavy any route you take around Denver or any large city for that. US 36 will however take you through Boulder where it can be a lot of stop and go type traffic when you enter town. You could go up I25 to CO 66 (north side of Longmont) and then over to US 36 which would route you around a lot of the Denver to Boulder traffic on US 36. I hope this helps and happy and sfe travel!

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Klosequarters

We live south of Denver and go to Estes Park quite often. If you take E-470 it will cost you about $24 in tolls each way (assuming a 2 axle tow). If you are coming through at morning or evening rush hour that will be money well spent. Otherwise, I would just take I-70W to I-25N and get off of I-25N at Rt. 66.

If you take 36 off of I-25N you will end up going through downtown Boulder which can be a slow process.

Good luck and have a great trip!
2011 F350 Diesel 4WD Lariat
Klosequarters is offline   Reply With Quote