Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Miller88310

Battery Draw

I have a 195RB and something is killing my battery while in storage. Both batteries are new deep cycles from Car Quest from the RV dealer. I charged up both batteries on my workbench and installed one before I stored the trailer two weeks ago.

Yesterday when I went to check the trailer, the battery was dead. I hooked it up to my generator for a while and when it reached 12.67 on my volt meter I stopped the generator and unplugged everything. I rechecked that everything was off inside the trailer. I went back out to the battery with my voltmeter and within 10 minutes it went from 12.67 to 12.25. I went back in the trailer and rechecked. Everything is off except the CO2 detector. I have check online and found that with just the CO2 detector on my battery should last at least a month.

The Dealer said to bring it in because it's still under warranty, but they are 1 1/2 hours away. Any ideas as to what could be drawing that much power?
Reese 16K Hitch
EU2000 Honda Generator
EU2000 Companion Honda Generator
Miller88310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Unless they have changed in the past few years the C0 detector has it's own battery internal. The propane gas detector (close to the floor) is hardwired to the 12v system. Like your dealer said, that should not draw down your battery. Usually the culprit is a light in a storage area, bathroom or on some the fridge light. (Most newer ones go off with the fridge.) If you can't find the problem and if your warranty is good till springtime, I would disconnect the battery and bring it to the dealer then. Keystone also put rechargeable flashlights in some models but I don't think they have a high draw either. Good luck and let us know the outcome, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Flyguy

Check the refrigerator to see if the climate control switch has been left on, if so without a charging source it will drain your batteries in a hurry, here's a PDF for you on the DM/RM 2652 refrigerator http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Refriger...0Operation.pdf you have to open the freezer door and look on the top right side of the door jamb for the switch (some are on the left) and make sure that it's in the off position. When in doubt, pull the fuse in the power distribution panel for the refrigerator and see if the current draw goes away (been there done that).
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
Miller88310

Hank's right...I meant to say the LP detector not the CO2 detector. I narrowed it down to something off the kitchen fuse. I have nothing that's on anywhere in, out or under the trailer.

I'll go back out today and check what Flyguy suggested on the fridge. I never noticed a climate control switch. I don't think I have the same fridge and my owners manuals are also in the trailer. Hopefully that's the demon that's sucking my batteries dry. I'll let you know what I find.

Thank's again...Craig
Reese 16K Hitch
EU2000 Honda Generator
Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Bowline

Propane detector drew my battery down

My brand new Cougar 27 RLS's dual batteries were drawn down at the dealer's while having some work done. I expected my one watt solar panel to bring up the batteries to full charge in about a week. Wrong! The batteries stayed depleted. I did some research and found that the propane detector draws about 5 amps in 24 hrs. That is about all my solar panel can deliver on a winter day, so there is no way by battery bank can be fully charged while the propane detector is operating.

I solved the problem by making sure my propane tank valves are off, then I pulled the fuse on the circuit that is wired to the propane detector. That solved the problem. It has been 3 weeks since I charged the batteries on the 110 volt charger. The bank has stayed fully charged. When we use the RV, it simply replace the fuse.

You might want to check out the possibility of other low draw loads on your battery. My on-board stereo system was drawing a small amount of current to operate the clock and the remote control function. It turned out that it was on the same circuit as the propane detector.
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Miller88310

Nothing yet

I pulled the battery out that was discharged and charged it up at home. I also went out to the camper today and checked for a climate control switch on the refrigerator and freezer but there was none. I had blocked the fridge door open after we cleaned it last...so I thought, like Hank suggested, it might have left the light on, but there is no plunger for the light switch like a regular fridge. I looked at the light and noticed that the small light HOOKS ONTO one of the cooling fins in the back??? I have no idea how that works...maybe somehow that was the problem.

Bowline, thanks for your help. About a month after we purchased the trailer I added a toggle switch to kill the power to the Radio/CD/DVD player as we didn't need a night light. Tomorrow I'll have time to hook the battery back up and check if the closing the fridge door is the solution. If not, then I'll check more into the propane detector

In my haste I didn't grab the stock# off the fridge. I'll get it in the morning to try to figure it out...AGAIN. Thanks for the input...I'll keep trying!

Craig
Reese 16K Hitch
EU2000 Honda Generator
Old 01-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

I wouldn't expect very much at all in the way of battery charging from a 1 watt solar panel. At best, under optimum conditions, it might keep a fully charged battery "up" for a short period of time. If the batteries are allowed to become discharged to a large degree, or in your case - almost fully discharged - a 1 watt solar panel would never be able to bring them up to full charge no matter how long the panel has been "charging" them. It is just too small to do an adequate job of charging a battery. If you are not using your RV over the winter months, I would pull the fuses on all components using the RV batteries ---- the clock and backlighting on stereo systems, propane detectors and, as already been mentioned, the moisture/climate control in the fridge (if so equipped). Another option is to disconnect the batteries altogether but make sure you keep them charged up with a separate charger and ensure the water level in them is also checked from time to time over the winter months.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Bowline

1 amp is 12 watts

Festus, a small correction is in order. My solar panel puts out about 1 amp of current. That's 12 watts. The solar panel is rated for 15 watts (1.3 amps) maximum output, which means it will usually put out about 1 amp. I have had a similar panel on my sailboat's battery bank for about 8 years now, and it has done a great job of keeping the batteries charged, and keeping the lights and instruments working for up to four days without going on the 110 volt charger.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Bowline: In your above post, you did mention your solar panel as being "one watt" --- and I was puzzled about that since I havent seen or heard of a solar panel with that small an output. Your correction clears that up. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Bowline

Oops!

Festus2, it looks like I failed to proofread my initial post. I agree that one watt wouldn't do much to boost a battery.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Flyguy

Miller, my assumption was that your passport had a Dometic fridge as mine does but it looks like you might have a Norcold fridge, Keystone may have changed to Norcold for 2010.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote