Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2021, 07:29 AM   #21
Philip

Use your onboard tank

We're in the same situation as you are. Most newer truck stops have diesel and gas pumps on the end lanes of the "car" side. Fortunately, most vehicles have diesel fill on drivers side, just like your TH so you can get 2 for 1!

You have an onboard tank for a reason so use it. For all those worried about fuel going bad, just pump it into your car when you think it's getting old. You might not get every drop, but you can buy additives to offset this.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:42 PM   #22
bobbecky

I'm pretty sure, even though this stuff is really expensive, that this is probably available most places, even in areas that have strict emission standards. We are in California right now, and I see this stuff in most hardware stores. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-...oduct-overview
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #23
firestation12

I've had great success treating fuel containing ethanol with Star Tron. Within my immediate family, we've replaced 6 carburetors on Onan 5500 generators due to ethanol created problems. Onan claims their carbs to be non re-buildable. They'd rather sell you a new $400 carb. I personally will never put ethanol fuel in any storage container without treating it.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-t...oline-additive
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:10 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I'm pretty sure, even though this stuff is really expensive, that this is probably available most places, even in areas that have strict emission standards. We are in California right now, and I see this stuff in most hardware stores. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-...oduct-overview
At $66+ per gallon it would be cheaper to replace the carburetor once a year.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #25
firestation12

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
At $66+ per gallon it would be cheaper to replace the carburetor once a year.
First, thanks for your as always intellectual input. Another source of fuel which will store for years without breaking down is aviation gas. I think we all should agree that gasoline containing ethanol should not be considered useable, especially if it is going to be sitting for months at a time in a small engine’s fuel system. Automobile fuel systems have been adapted to withstand many of the negative attributes of ethanol, and are constantly getting a fresh tank of gas regularly. IMHO ethanol as a clean fuel additive, is and has been an expensive failure. Star Tron has been my go to fuel treatment for years. I’ve been away from home at times for 10-12 months, and when returning, can start my power tools on the first or second pull.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:25 AM   #26
Getn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
First, thanks for your as always intellectual input. Another source of fuel which will store for years without breaking down is aviation gas. I think we all should agree that gasoline containing ethanol should not be considered useable, especially if it is going to be sitting for months at a time in a small engine’s fuel system. Automobile fuel systems have been adapted to withstand many of the negative attributes of ethanol, and are constantly getting a fresh tank of gas regularly. IMHO ethanol as a clean fuel additive, is and has been an expensive failure. Star Tron has been my go to fuel treatment for years. I’ve been away from home at times for 10-12 months, and when returning, can start my power tools on the first or second pull.
Just dont get caught using Avgas in a car... this avoids road taxes, and Uncle Sam is not a fan of skippin that!
Only reason Avgas is better is that is is ethanol free btw. It actually has more lead than auto unleaded too.
Troy
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:56 AM   #27
firestation12

Full disclosure

At $6 bucks or higher per gallon, I doubt anyone will be filling up their cars at the local FSDO fuel dispenser. Yes av gas contains some lead (100LL low lead) which is understandably greater than no lead, but it’s greatest attribute is the ability to be stored for years without turning to varnish. FYI, aviation fuel is also taxed as follows: 21.9 cents per gallon for jet fuel and 19.4 cents general aviation. These are federal taxes. Not sure if individual states also have a hand in the total. You correctly state there isn’t a road tax, although aviators are familiar with the acronym “HITS” highway in the sky. Does that count for making the feds happy?
Old 06-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #28
Getn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
At $6 bucks or higher per gallon, I doubt anyone will be filling up their cars at the local FSDO fuel dispenser. Yes av gas contains some lead (100LL low lead) which is understandably greater than no lead, but it’s greatest attribute is the ability to be stored for years without turning to varnish. FYI, aviation fuel is also taxed as follows: 21.9 cents per gallon for jet fuel and 19.4 cents general aviation. These are federal taxes. Not sure if individual states also have a hand in the total. You correctly state there isn’t a road tax, although aviators are familiar with the acronym “HITS” highway in the sky. Does that count for making the feds happy?
Nope, Feds aint got that kind of humor!
Btw, I have been an airline pilot for over 25 years and never heard of that acronym…maybe common in other countries.
There is also 130 octane too, which is more lead than the 100LL.
And road taxes are waaaay higher than .21/gal.
Early 90s I was pumpin gas for a local “FBO” and it was very common for people to come in with gas tanks to fill for the weekend track days. One guy came in without cans and wanted me to fill up his car from the pump. Nope.
Local cops actually monitored this very thing.. neighbor was one of those cops btw….we lived on that same airport (flying community.)

Another side note since we are already derailed…
Back around 2008 when the 10% ethanol was made nearly mandatory in every state, I spent a lot of time at the drag strip. I noticed a very sudden 10% reduction in my ETs and MPH. It was very obvious that the 10% ethanol was causing this.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Old 06-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #29
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Nope, Feds aint got that kind of humor!
Btw, I have been an airline pilot for over 25 years and never heard of that acronym…maybe common in other countries.
There is also 130 octane too, which is more lead than the 100LL.
And road taxes are waaaay higher than .21/gal.
Early 90s I was pumpin gas for a local “FBO” and it was very common for people to come in with gas tanks to fill for the weekend track days. One guy came in without cans and wanted me to fill up his car from the pump. Nope.
Local cops actually monitored this very thing.. neighbor was one of those cops btw….we lived on that same airport (flying community.)

Another side note since we are already derailed…
Back around 2008 when the 10% ethanol was made nearly mandatory in every state, I spent a lot of time at the drag strip. I noticed a very sudden 10% reduction in my ETs and MPH. It was very obvious that the 10% ethanol was causing this.
Troy

Thanks for sharing your insight and experience! FWIW I'll gladly pay the tax to fill the 60 gallon T&B tank in my 2020 F-350 than the fuel tax on a fill up of whatever you are currently flying! You are correct about the about the loss of power (and mpg) when ethanol was introduced. H.I.T.S. was envisioned by NASA as early as 2001 for creating a virtual visual pathway to follow for general aviation. A few of the glass cockpit manufacturers initially bought into the concept but not much became of it. Garmin's new autoland is the latest to build on a concept of getting a plane safely on the ground autonomously. You jet jockeys get by just fine using skills and talent (for the most part) and don't need as much help as the little guy to get home safely. Upon boarding a commercial flight, I always check the amount of gray hair the pilot has.....exudes confidence to passengers.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #30
Getn off

Haha! Thank you…I think! Lol
Currently fly the Airbus A319, 320, and 321s, but have flown nearly all models of the 737 including the corporate BBJ. Most transport category aircraft made in the last 30 years or so do have an Autoland feature. Many have HUD too. I find it amazing how GA (general aviation) planes have become so sophisticated lately!
There are specific routes in the sky, just never heard of that acronym is all.
As for grey hair…I was captain at age 28 back in the 90s, which was very uncommon. Nowadays, many airlines have captains in their 20s. Different world we live in.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Old 06-19-2021, 07:10 AM   #31
Blackrock

Fueling the gas tanks on a toy hauler can't be any different than my gassing up my truck and 5th wheel. Most all of the gas stations just off the interstates have plenty of swinging room to get in and out. You might have to wait a bit to get to the fuel island that works for you. I do have experience delivering product to convenience stores with a single axle tractor and short trailer.
As for gas quality back in the 60's we had bulk fuel on the ranch and had a 500 gallon tank for 'White Gas' for a couple of tractors. Dad told me to run some in my 61' Chevy PU but never more than half a tank. I know it was untaxed as was the diesel but dad could apply for a refund from the state for a certain amount of the taxes on the regular leaded gasoline.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator, tank