Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
KenBob

landing gear docking light kill switch

Want to install switches to kill the power to the landing gear and the docking lights. The wires for the switches are in the propane tank compartment next to the generator compartment. I can easily install kill switches in the propane compartment. The issue is securing the kill switches. I have installed a lock on the propane compartment door. However, I have found out it is illegal to lock the compartments for propane for safety reasons. (I am pretty confident it would be hard to find someone cited for locking the compartment.) A search for locking switches was futile, other than the locking battery cut off switches. Any ideas? I may just run with the compartment lock and play the odds against propane emergency shut off.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
cpaulsen

Why can't you use something like and old car/truck ignition switch....kinda like the ones that used to be in the dash before they went to steering columns. I know they are still available in parts stores. I wouldn't lock the propane doors just in case of a fire and you are not around the trailer.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
SJMcKee

Kill switches

What's the concern of needing lockable kill switches ?? Just curious. I've got the same setup, and did not know about the propane issue as I was considering putting locks on my access.
2009 Keystone Fuzion TE#199, FZ302 Toy Hauler.
SJMcKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

One of the concerns with having the landing switch in an area that is easily accesible and not secured is the possibility that someone out to cause mischief or damage could come along and lower or raise your RV. Having the switch in a locked, secured compartment would prevent that from happening.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
gkainz

How about a 12V keyed switch mounted right next to or near the landing gear and light switches? If finding one with heavy enough amperage rating is difficult or too pricey, you could add a relay that the keyed switch energizes.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
KenBob

I totally forgot that the landing gear is also remotely controlled as well. After locating the remote panel in the pass through storage area, I figured I could put the switch in there. I am getting a push/pull switch the same as the battery disconnect switch and mounting it in the storage compartment. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
KenBob

Kill switch update

After reading some posts about landing gear not working from manual switch after using the remote control to activate the gear, I figure activating the gear with the remote control should prevent the use of the manual switch. (was that redundant?) If this works, it will prevent some needless wire/switch installation and provide the security I am looking for. I remember using the remote to open the awning during the walk through. Was unable to close using the manual switch. Had to press buttons on the remote to switch back to manual control.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
KenBob

Did some research (I read the backside of the remote and had the company email me the manual) and found there is only a five minute time the remote disables the manual functions EXCEPT for the security lights. So, I could install a complete remote system kill switch (real easy) or install kill switch for each system. I am going with each system. The landing gear and docking lights are easy. Rear stabilizer will be more difficult. Want to add a kill switch to the fuel station pump as well. Or find a lock for the access door.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
BStiers

landing gear docking light kill switch

Why not install a battery disconnect switch at the battery. That will take out everything.
BStiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
KenBob

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStiers View Post
Why not install a battery disconnect switch at the battery. That will take out everything.
I hope you are being sarcastic. Just want to prevent the operation of items that have external controls/switches and still have full function of everything else. Would be able to lock toys to landing gear or rear stabilizer jacks. I found a way to kill everything that is remotely controlled, that would be inconvienient as they wont be operable with manual switches either. I may be paranoid about someone messing with our RV. But, an ounce of prevention......................
Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #11
Jeffrey11

Why not just google car alarm key switch? you will find the old fashioned key switches for about 2 bucks each they work great. Or try this link http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...hes-Key/1.html
Jeffrey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
hankaye

Jeffrey11, Howdy;

As they say they are key removable only in the ON position I reckon one would/ should wire it backwards. so that ya could take the key out when the lights are ....... OFF?

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote