Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
kenn209

Wired Backup Camera

First major mod to our new Cougar, I added a wired back up camera from this place Rear View Safety, (rearviewsafety.com) We purchased item RVS-770613-213 which included 7" TFT LCD, 30° camera infra-red night vision and all the wires, connectors and mounts. I also purchased the license plate mount for the camera.

I ran the cable underneath the camper by removing the under pinning screws one at a time and putting the cable on the other side of the screw and then putting the screw back in. There was plenty of cable so I put the rest of the cable up in the underpinning as well, I ran the cable around the front right landing gear in the front storage compartment and drilled a hole in the storage compartment for the connection. did the same to the truck. I want to move the camera to the middle under the back window of the camper but unsure of how to mount. Any ideas? What type screws etc?

Here are some pics

kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
cumminsdad08

looks great, good picture too, but how do you know what radio station is on now. fastenall sells black pan head screws, that don't rust, we use them for our decorative hardware on the outside of our doors we install and they work awsome. i am not sure what the backside of your bracked looks like, but if it is smooth i would try them. they self tap so quick and easy to run in. i would run them in, back them out, put a little silicone on them then reinstall them. that would help with water and such, and hopfully keep them from vibrating out. as for the wire, i wouldn't know what to dowith that, maybe just run it down the back and get some of those screw in wire holders??? or you could run a hold inbehind the bracket, but then you got a hole there when it gets removed. if you come up with an idea, be sure to put it up here, i was half thinking on getting one myself
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

Kenn looks good. How is the monitor mounted? Looking for a similar installation.

I remember seeing somebody mounting a camera on a 1x1 3-4' bar centered on the back bumper. I don't remember if it was by itself or just sticking above the spare tire. Kind of like extending the tire holder and mounting th camera on top. No drill on back of the camper and you can zip tie the cable to the holder. It was on here or rv.net. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
kenn209

Well in my dodge there is a little compartment underneath the radio, So I bought a a hunk of wood from Home depot. mounted the screen to it. and then I shoved a shim on top of the oak plank, since the compartment tapers at the rear. Will post a pic. It's made to be removed when/if DW let's me trade up to a DRW 2007 Ram 3500... lol

I know its not pretty but its temp...

Here is a pic of the connection on the bumper.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
kenn209

As for the radio, we don't listen too much to the radio, I like to concentrate on road noise. I'm paranoid about blow outs etc. One good thing about the whole setup is I can see when I pass people and I am clear of them. The camera has a 130 degree field of view so on the edges of the screen kind of fish eye a little... No big deal.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
kenn209

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsdad08 View Post
looks great, good picture too, but how do you know what radio station is on now. fastenall sells black pan head screws, that don't rust, we use them for our decorative hardware on the outside of our doors we install and they work awsome. i am not sure what the backside of your bracked looks like, but if it is smooth i would try them. they self tap so quick and easy to run in. i would run them in, back them out, put a little silicone on them then reinstall them. that would help with water and such, and hopfully keep them from vibrating out. as for the wire, i wouldn't know what to dowith that, maybe just run it down the back and get some of those screw in wire holders??? or you could run a hold inbehind the bracket, but then you got a hole there when it gets removed. if you come up with an idea, be sure to put it up here, i was half thinking on getting one myself
WIll check those out. Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
cumminsdad08

i can't believe that they don't sell a suciton cup mount for that, kinda like you would have for a gps. if they do i would get that. if you don't want it on the windshield (and the jersey state police don't like it much too, ask me how i know), they usually sell a little flat plastic plate that you can double side tape to the front of your dash, kinda like you have it now. what i did with my GPS is actually super glued the mount to that black plastic holder and stuck that to my dash. i never had any problems with it ever falling off after that. then if you do switch trucks you can just pop off the plate and clean off the tape. which i just recently did in my work truck.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 04-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
kenn209

Va it's illegal to have anything attached to the windshield. But not sure if they enforce it or not. But I guess they could use it as an excuse to pull you over. Will have to see what I can do for suction mount to the dash..
Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
LarryL

Well I talked the DW into letting me buy one,and there out of stock
That one looked the best,had the quick disconect.
Emailed they asked when they would be back in stock hope for a reply soon.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
kenn209

Hopefully they will have one soon. It's a very easy install.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
LarryL

kenn209 they will be back in stock 4/20/2011 I will order one then,what side is your camera on?
and the wire from bumper to dash did you go through firewall?
My cougar has a slideout bike rack with a 1'' pole that is by the spair tire
I'm thinking of putting the camera on top of it,but it might get to much
movment there.
my lic plate is on the right side and I carry bikes.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 AM   #12
kenn209

Mine is on the license plate, I ordered the plate holder and ran the wire down to the under pinning. I took out screw by screw and put the wire on the inside of the screws, Worked very nice. I also put the extra cable up in there. I can see on the screen just the very corner of the spare tire. So will move that a few inches or I', planning on mounting the camera under the back window. I used a 7/8 metal hole saw for the quick disconnects and I ran the wire down the driver side of the truck and drilled a hole there and then sealed it up after I ran the wire into the cab. Wasn't to happy about drilling a hole but didn't want to go thru the firewall.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #13
LarryL

Boy you get up early,looks like in about 2 weeks I will be able to
install mine.
I will send pic of my install if I can figure out how to put them on the fourm
like you did.
I think I'm going to try and put the camera on the ladder.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #14
kenn209

Yeh I looked at that, on their site is a person who put it on the ladder. Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Most trucks have rubber plugs in several holes in the floor. It might be simpler and much less "traumatic" to cut an "X" in one of the plugs, slip the wiring through that hole and use silicone to reseal the plug. That way, if you ever decide to remove the wiring, at the most, you'll need to get another rubber plug to replace the cut one. No drilling, no rust and hopefully a fully functional camera system without damage to the vehicle. I've run several wires through plugs like this in the past with good results.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
kenn209

I saw the rubber plugs, but wasn't sure what they were for. Guess I do now. Oh well, Live and Learn. Should have asked here first. Anything I can do to close the hole better?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
cumminsdad08

x2 on the plugs, i have many "accesories" in my truck, plus power adders and on the dodge there is a really nice hole with nothing else in it that will fit just about any gauge wire you can put on a truck. if only i can remember exact location off the top of my head, oh well if anyone needs to know they can ask and i can crawl under and look
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 04-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #18
rev114

I got my system from RearViewSystems (http://www.rearviewsystems.com/ys5600.html) and have been very happy. I am only posting because I originally had a wire size like yours (between the truck and the camper) and found that it did not hold up to wind lashing and the plug/unplugging. I went with the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Quick Disconnect Kit (about halfway down the link I posted above).

Don't let the price scare you, the company worked with me on a package deal (even worked with me upgrading to the HD disconnect kit). I moved the disconnect to the bed of my truck so my camera connection is right above my power connection (same size plug but different configuration so you cannot plug in the wrong one after a rough NASCAR weekend!)

I can go take some pictures if anyone expresses interest
1985 Cris Craft Scorpion (two 300HP Chevy 350's)
rev114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
LarryL

yes please do I will be ordering my camera this week and i think the quick disconect comes with the camera i well be ordering.
the q/d # is RVS213
Old 04-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
rev114

I have attached some pics (another pic to come, hit the max of 5)

The first pic is the bed of my truck... The bottom plug is the 5er plug, the one above is the rear view camera using the hardware and wires they provided.

The second pic is the screen in my truck. I ran the wires from the plug under my truck to the engine compartment and then thru the firewall under the dash. I hooked to fused ignition power (so I cannot leave the screen on and run down the battery)

The third pic is the plug on the 5er. The orange wire came from RVS, as did the plug. I ran the wire (again, came from RVS) from the back of the plug (waterproof connections) all the way to the back of the camper (it is a 50ft wire, no connections) inside of some gray PVC (for further protection, see the next pic) on the underside of the camper.

Then the last pic shows how I come out of the pipe and into the molding to get to the top of the camper.... the only hole I made was out of the bottom insulation of the front compartment) The next section will show the camera...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4562 [1600x1200].jpg
Views:	228
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	333   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4564 [1600x1200].jpg
Views:	268
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	334   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4566 [1600x1200].jpg
Views:	269
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	335   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4567 [1600x1200].JPG
Views:	230
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	336   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4569 [1600x1200].JPG
Views:	228
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	337  

1985 Cris Craft Scorpion (two 300HP Chevy 350's)
rev114 is offline   Reply With Quote