Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
GaryWT

Interesting observations this morning

Spent the weekend 2 sites down from another 31bspr this weekend. As my wife and I were sitting having our breakfast we were watching everyone clean up and pack up to head home. As we sat there, 2 different campings did something that just makes me cringe. After dumping their tanks tanks they walk over to their drinking water hose, unscrew it from the trailer and over to there sewer hose to wash off the inside of the hose. I find this so grass as who knows what could happen the next time they hook up and drink and shower with this hose. Anyway, just had to say it, hope they are all well down the road.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

That is pretty gross.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Jim & DJ

It takes all kinds. The big problem I see is the guy that handles the drain hose bare handed.
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
gearhead

I ain't ever done any of that but....those germs aren't going to swim upstream from that sewer hose to the water hose. Assuming he was just rinsing the sewer hose out.
But, handling that sewer hose barehanded....no, no way.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
outwest

I've seen it before as well. Yeck! Sure, the chances are marginal that you'll contaminate your drinking water supply (would require splashing of sewer to get onto threads of hose, which many then promptly screw to other end of the hose, getting the sewer germs inside it), but there is a chance and why in the world would you risk it? Same goes for not using gloves when dealing with the sewer hose -- especially when you see them proceed to handle other stuff and then get in vehicle, never washing up after handling the sewer hose with bare hands.

On a similar note - a few years back I was at a large livestock show and in the men's room washing up. While I was at the sink, I saw a food worker leave the urinal, still wearing his food handling gloves, and he went straight out the door and straight back to work.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
mikebrls

Getting trailer soon but on my last class A I always had 2 separate hose's one for fresh water " white hose" and one for the black tank back wash " green hose" and kept a box of rubber glove's in the outside storage area .
And yes i saw the same stuff going on but you couldn't say anything to them at that present time , other wise there would be a conflict , I have tried a few time's to help people out because I could see they where having trouble and they where to proud to except any help.
I am the opposite when I first got my class A I was a newbee and went and asked neighbor for help and they where more then happy to help me out , and I would do the same in return

mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
jtyphoid

It's not just when RVing. When my daughter and her DH were renting a house, they watched the owner digging up a clogged septic line with his bare hands (pulling broken septic line pieces out of the muck bare handed) then stop and eat lunch without washing.

He got sick (imagine that) and was not able to come complete the job for several days.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

People do that kind of dumb stuff and get sick and blame it on food. Think about the news right now. There saying a nurse that was caring for a ebola person, with gloved hands wiped her face and may have ebola. Training new cops and watching(helping) them process bad stuff. I yelled stop alot when they where gloved up and started to use a phone, copy machine, wipe their face etc. You really need to think what your doing and WHY. Remove gloves take care of what it is that needed to be done, glove up again. At the sewer dump, I glove up at point of getting out hose and do not go inside the truck or trailer unless the gloves are removed and than new ones put on to continue working. I do not reach into pockets etc with gloves on. Whats the cost of 100 latex gloves about 12 bucks here. Better safe than sick. When done before I get into truck I have a towel and hand cleaner, wipe and dry hands before handling anything else. The white water hoses only are used for drinking water to trailer and when not used I screw the ends together to prevent anything from going inside them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
ImTravis

I bought one of those cheap shrinking hoses to use for my blackwater tank flush hose, as well as use it to rinse the "poop" pipe. Keep the white hoses for drinking water only. I'm too much of a germaphobe to be willing to have my drinking hose near the "Poop" pipe. and I always wear gloves (even wear gloves when cleaning the cat box)..
Old 10-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Richard6959

GaryWt, I have a burning question. Did you finish your breakfast?

I was inline this weekend at the dump station. There were two people in front of me. The first guy at the station was having a very difficult time. He kept poking around the drain. Then he disconnected his hose from the drain and learned the hard way that nothing had been draining out. Now it was all over him and the ground. The guy in the second vehicle was standing near him drinking coffee watching it all happen. The first guy then unscrewed his broom handle and started shoving it down the hole. When that didn't work he gets on his hands and knees and reaches down into the abyss up to his arm pit (no gloves). Out comes a plastic cap. The two have a chuckle, the 2nd kept watching and drinking his coffee.

In the end when the first guy was about to leave, the 2nd was so appreciative that the first had unclogged the drain, that he gave him a big hug. Yep, a manly full body hug.

Sick.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
denverpilot

People probably THINK I've done this, since I currently have an EXTRA white hose.

If they watch carefully they'll see it's stored in the sealed plastic tub box with the slinky, and marked, and NEVER brought out when the other one is out... just to NEVER mix them up!

If one is out the other is put away!!

Only do it because I had an extra and didn't have an extra green one at the time. When it wears out it'll be replaced with a cheap greenie.

I'm sure anyone glancing on the way by thinks I'm using the drinking hose, though. Heh!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Heck, if you just "use the other end of the hose, it'll be OK (won't it???) After all, it'll "push the germs" out of the hose and then you can connect it to your city water fitting. Just don't forget to turn it around next time you flush your black tank so the "dirty end is always used on the dirty fitting"....

Sort of like we used to do when I had to share a coke with my brother. We'd turn the straw upside down, he had one end and I had the other. We both "never" traded any germs that way. Should work for water hoses too, don't ya think?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:19 AM   #13
Javi

Huh... you're supposed to wash out the 3" when you're done.. I don't think I ever have, that's why I dump the shower water last...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #14
GaryWT

I was able to finish breakfast somehow.

I know it was the same hose as I saw him take it off the trailer and head over to the sewer line. I understand some use another hose.

Like Javi, I fill the grey tank and dump that last to clean out the sewer hose so we are good to go once the tanks are empty.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #15
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I was able to finish breakfast somehow.

I know it was the same hose as I saw him take it off the trailer and head over to the sewer line. I understand some use another hose.

Like Javi, I fill the grey tank and dump that last to clean out the sewer hose so we are good to go once the tanks are empty.
I always do that too, but I actually did rinse out my sewer hose this last time since it was the last trip of the year. I then let it sit out and dry before putting it away in it's bin, in the storage area
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #16
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Huh... you're supposed to wash out the 3" when you're done.. I don't think I ever have, that's why I dump the shower water last...
That's normally what I do too. At full hookup sites I close the grey valve before the last showering is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
People probably THINK I've done this, since I currently have an EXTRA white hose.

If they watch carefully they'll see it's stored in the sealed plastic tub box with the slinky, and marked, and NEVER brought out when the other one is out... just to NEVER mix them up!
I have a similar situation in that ppl probably think I store my freshwater hose in the same tub as the sewer hose, but actually I have a white one (the one that came with rig) that I use for rinsing sewer hose (the few times that I do that) and for hooking to black tank flush connection, and blue colored freshwater hoses.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #17
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I leave my valves closed all the time so the black tank is less likely to dry out and so the grey water flushes the hoses. If I do not think there is enough in the grey tank I will fill the tub a 3rd full to flush at the end. Before the grey tank, I also flush out the black tank with a expandable hose and fill the bowl 3 times.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #18
outwest

All of this reminds me - if you use a macerating pump connected to rig to pump out black tank and using a green hose to pump the stuff through, replace that hose every season. Something (I presume the AquaChem) causes the hose to break down and you'll be really sorry if you try to reuse that hose the next season.

My father used to do this because at one of the parks he would do an extended stay at, they didn't have full hookup and the way the park layout was, it was a pain in the butt to navigate the trailer to the dump station from his space. He saved the green hose for the following year and ended up with a sprinkler hose that sprayed sewage all over another camper's rig. The worst part? they had their kitchen window open at the time. Oops! Amazingly, those campers stayed on friendly terms with him for years after, up until he passed.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #19
dee74

Ok that is nothing compared to what I saw. I saw two different people unscrew their water hose and then drag their sewer hose over and place the spigot in the hose. They also took the fittings off and put the spigot in them to rinse them off. I don't care who gives me a strange look or say I have a phobia of germs but people like this is why I bleach the spigot before I hook up each time.
dee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
mcsearch1

I always drain the gray water tanks last. I usually put a couple of gallons of fresh water down the galley drain with some dish soap mixed in. That takes the curse off the drain hose and makes clean up easier. I always wear disposable vinyl gloves when I do this and I'm not stingy with them. If I have to handle something I'll be using again later or enter the trailer, I take the gloves off and reglove when I continue the task.
mcsearch1 is offline   Reply With Quote