Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
clewis

Dry Camping Questions

Looking at dry camping this weekend for the first time. Is it OK to travel with the propane on to keep the fridge going? Or can someone provide me some tips or a run down how they prepare for dry camping more specifically related to conserving battery power.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Randy_K

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...travel+propane

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
clewis

perfect, that answers that! thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
RockyMtnHi2

We are primarily dry campers and probably always will be. We choose the more primitive state and national parks that just don't offer the services of more commercial campgrounds.
No TV, microwave or AC. We don't use a generator at present, but we do carry 2 deep cycle batteries.
Some of the ways we limit the use of overhead lighting are: have battery powered flashlights and lanterns around for indoor use after dark; get convertible beds/bedding set up before the natural light has gone for the day; get evening bathroom needs (toothbrushes, towels, meds, etc.) set out early; unpack and set out pajamas, slippers before dark.
Our water pump is switched off until it is needed. Then it's shut off again.
Even just recently found a string of solar LED lighting to clip to the awning.
We've camped for as many as 5 days without coming close to running out of power.
If you search "dry camping", there are many informative threads to check out. Switching to LED lighting is also a great battery saver.
Enjoy your dry camping weekend!
RockyMtnHi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnHi2 View Post
We are primarily dry campers and probably always will be. We choose the more primitive state and national parks that just don't offer the services of more commercial campgrounds.
No TV, microwave or AC. We don't use a generator at present, but we do carry 2 deep cycle batteries.
Some of the ways we limit the use of overhead lighting are: have battery powered flashlights and lanterns around for indoor use after dark; get convertible beds/bedding set up before the natural light has gone for the day; get evening bathroom needs (toothbrushes, towels, meds, etc.) set out early; unpack and set out pajamas, slippers before dark.
We've camped for as many as 5 days without coming close to running out of power.
If you search "dry camping", there are many informative threads to check out. Switching to LED lighting is also a great battery saver.
I spent part of Sunday wheeling around on some forest service roads off of Guanella pass. I was amazed to see so many big campers down some of the roads, especially given how rough the roads were. It looks like a good time to me, once I've become better at managing my water and power usage. I camped at Chatfield for 2 nights with only electrical service, and had lots of water left over. Next step will be no power.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 AM   #6
clewis

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the feed back! We are only going for two days so we should be able to manage off one battery, at least I hope. I discovered last night my fan in the trailer does not work off of battery. I thought it was only AC that didn't work.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
RockyMtnHi2

BirchyBoy, I've always wondered how those big trailers make it up there. Guanella Pass Road out of Georgetown has some crazy tight switchbacks. Scares me . . . and I'm fearless!!! DH says it's no big deal, but have we tried it yet? No!
RockyMtnHi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
BirchyBoy

Quote:
BirchyBoy, I've always wondered how those big trailers make it up there. Guanella Pass Road out of Georgetown has some crazy tight switchbacks. Scares me . . . and I'm fearless!!! DH says it's no big deal, but have we tried it yet? No!
My guess is they come in from the side opposite Georgetown. Or that is what I would do anyway.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
koko

We dry camp a lot. When we owned our Rpod we could go for a week before the batteries ran out, but our present trailer is somewhat of a battery hog, and we can only go 4-5 days (we've always fought the idea of a generator). We also turn off the pump when not in use. We also turn off the water heater. We use crank-charge lanterns for inside light when possible; and the first thing we did when we bought our new trailer was to convert all lights to LED. We know many dry campers who use solar and have practically unending power. Very appealing idea, but fairly expensive to set up.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote