Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
J&A

Faded Front Cap, Water Leak, Buckled Slide Roof & Other Issues Finally Fixed!

I want to thank the members of this forum for taking the time to share their RV ownership experiences. The wealth of information stored in these threads has allowed me to become a savvier RV owner, much faster and cheaper than if I had to learn it all from my own mistakes.

I’ve had my travel trailer in an out of the dealer since the first week in April and I just got it back last week. I relied on my dealer, as promised, to handle all issues under warranty through their relationship and agreement with Keystone. Yes, the approval and repair process is long. More so if the repairs under warranty are expensive like mine totaling over $4,300.

Here is a summary of my Service & Maintenance issues during my first six months of ownership.

Faded Front Cap. While performing the recommended outside cleanup/treatment and inspection (after reading about this and other issues), I realized my front cap was fading on the top where the cap meets the rubber roof. Keystone authorized and paid the dealer to paint the front cap with automotive paint and a protective clear coat finish. Oh yes, and new decals too. It looks really great and worth again the money we paid for it.

Cracking Of The Roof Sealant. And while I was washing the travel trailer, I noticed cracking of the roof sealant where the front cap meets the rubber roof. The dealer repaired it under warranty. I now carry a tube of DICOR roof sealant and a caulk gun in my travel trailer tool box.

Water Leak. I felt a wet carpet spot next to the step by the side of the bed. Again, an issue I had read about in the forum so I immediately opened the access panel and there it was, dripping in plain sight. It was water leaking at the city water connection behind the wall, where it ties to the waterline inside the trailer. The connector failed. The city water inlet was replaced under warranty.

Slide Roof Buckling. While sweeping the slide roof before leaving a campground, I noticed the slide roof over the dinette was buckled. It was not the rubber roof separating from whatever thin ply of material is used for the slide roof deck. Rather, that thin ply of material itself was buckled. The dealer removed the slide, the trim inside and out, removed all furniture, disconnected the electrical, replaced the roof deck and rubber roof, and then put everything back together. All under warranty.

Bathroom Vent Fan Assembly. Came loose from the ceiling. Poorly installed. The tabs that hold the fan to its frame were not fully bent to secure the assembly. Repaired under warranty.

Broken Circuit Breaker Panel Latch. Replaced under warranty.
Loose Trim. Trim on kitchen slide was flapping loose. The use of staples to secure 1/8” thick ply is not a good idea overall, much less in a travel trailer. It was repaired with staples but I’m afraid it will come loose in time. A much better solution would be to use an adhesive to secure the trim.
Peeling Wall Paper. One section of the wall paper in the main bedroom was starting to peel away. It was glued down.

Missing Rivet and Washer. On Propane tank cover. It was replaced. Yes, I made them fix it as a matter of principal, despite the fact I own a rivet gun I hardly use.

Bathroom Sink Countertop Edge Trim. Coming loose. Dealer missed this repair from the long list. Will repair when travel trailer is brought in for State inspection in September.

Dealer Customer Service & Workmanship. Overall, I’d say Good. Not great. I had to call constantly to get updates. During my initial visit to log all of the issues, my customer service representative doubted some of the problems were covered under warranty, like the fading cap. I asked him immediately to submit all requests in written to Keystone and request a written response from Keystone, especially if they rejected any request, with names and contact information I could use to follow up. Only once, at the request of the dealer, I had to contact Keystone to get an update on their approval so warranty repairs could start. I spoke with a very nice lady who told me that as of 9am that morning, the request had been approved. Lucky me!

It took about 30 days just to get the approval from Keystone but they’re honoring their warranty. In the mean time my trailer sat idle at the dealership or I picked it up for a weekend camping trip and brought it back for them to resume waiting for parts (another systemic problem) or in between repairs. I like the fact that I was able to work with the dealer to phase the repairs and still use my RV. We didn't miss any of our camping reservations. Fortunately, none of my travel trailer’s issues prevented me from doing so. The sealant cracks were repaired quickly. I added Teflon tape to the city water connection and it held fine until the permanent repair was done. Had I been a full timer or seasonal camper, this experience would’ve been a complete disaster.

Delivery. Upon picking up my travel trailer, I noticed the front cap LED head lights were missing each 2 of its 3 screws. Also, the decals around the front cap head lights were wrong. The dealer used the dark grey decals instead of the white ones. Dark front cap gets the white decals for contrast, and vice-versa. Screws were replaced and the dealer will replace the decals when they come in.

Lessons Learned. None of my new travel trailer’s quality issues are new or specific to my brand. Most of these quality issues, if not all, are documented in the forum and allowed me to proactively look for them before they caused major damage or additional cost to me. Therefore, I read the forum a lot, and act on your factual advise. Thank you!

What next? I don’t know about you but, after posting this, I’m heading out camping for the 4th of July weekend. Yeah, baby! That's what we bought if for! But, I’m also going to shake down my trailer and go back to the dealer for every legitimate quality issue that needs to be repaired under the Keystone warranty, big or small, until it expires. It is the easiest, least costly and fastest route to resolution for us. Yes, it’s inconvenient, but very effective. I owe it to us!

Happy 4th of July!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Cap.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	6435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealant Cracks.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	6436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	6437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	6438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140628_165332.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	6439  

In search of my next RV
SOLD! - 2013 Terrain 299TBH
SOLD! - 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
J&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
GaryWT

It is good that all if finally taken care of for you now get out and camp.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It's great to hear that you've got your RV repaired to your satisfaction. Kudos to your dealership and to Keystone for their efforts in keeping you satisfied. It's a good thing when we get reports such as yours. Thanks for sharing your experiences. They can be "lessons learned" for other members who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Now, as you said, "head out camping for the 4th of July, Yeah Baby!!!"

Enjoy your camper !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote