Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
RV 4 Fun

hum from a power station in bedroom

My one year old Big Sky 3725 has a 12 volt power station in the bedroom for charging cell phones, ipods etc. works thru either a USB or a "cigarette" charger cord. In the last month or so we have noticed a "hum" coming from this power station. The "hum" is present regardless if something is plugged into it to be charged or if the power station is just sitting idle....it just makes a humming noise...and it might just be my imagination but it appears to be getting louder.
This station has not been used much.....but is a nice feature to have when we are dry camping for charging cell phones. While it is not a loud hum it is still loud enough to notice especially a night...being it is in the bedroom.
Thoughts----
RV 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd first pull the fuse to the power station to make sure it is that and not something else close to it. If you have a TV in the bedroom, a CO monitor, or other component, it may be coming from that. Also, you have the remote control electronics package installed somewhere under you, probably in the front storage compartment. It may not be the power station that's making the noise....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
RV 4 Fun

Haven't checked other sources....so that is a possibility....however, sound really appears to be coming from the power station....when you put your ear next to it you really hear the "hum". The power station does charge things....and the "HUM" appears regardless of something plugged in or not. I will pull the fuse tonight and make sure it is the source.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Bluewater

Very well could be your tv antenna booster switch is left on all the time. If you see a small green lite that may be it.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
RV 4 Fun

Well now I am confused.....went out and pulled 12 volt fuse #13 which is labeled "TV"(I do not have a 12 volt TV) and the humming stopped. Charging station also stopped charging thru with the cigarette type plug to the cell phone. However, the USB plug has a small green light on top of it.....that light is on 24/7 with the fuse in and remained on with the fuse pulled. There is a 12 volt cigarette lighter type plug near the TV for a 12 volt TV if I had one. And yes, that same area also has the antenna booster. When I pushed the antenna boost button humming continued..... it appears it is not the booster. Button on or off the USB green light (in the charging station) remains on....and the humming continues.
One more confusing thing....prior to pulling the fuse.....inside the progressive dynamic converter box was a blinking green light....looks to be labeled some sort of charging wizard.....after I pulled fuse #13 labeled TV the blinking light became solid green. I have put the fuse back in and the light remains solid green. So something changed. However, the humming continues to come from the charging station with the fuse back in.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
hankaye

RV 4 Fun, Howdy;

Do you have your WFCO Installation/Operators Manual???
On page 2 it mentions the fuses and the Indicator lights.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
canesfan

RV 4 Fun, the Charging Wizard with the blinking/solid green light with your PD converter is a "smart brain" that helps keep your batteries charged correctly and also keeps them from boiling dry. I had one a couple of RVs ago. Loved it.