Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Boondocking getting difficult

In the past couple of years, the Forest Service has banned RV travel (and thus boondocking) on a lot of its roads. I have found that the roads they have left open are woefully unsuitable even for my 26' 5er, due to vegetation and/or steepness.

The #1 problem is lack of existing campsites. The Forest Service seems downright determined to close all roads that have existing sites within ten miles of towns, under the premise that locals (aka RV park owners) complain about general trashiness and "illegal nighttime activity"---more often than not committed by their very own neighbors.

The roads they do open are often totally useless, because there is seldom even a place to pull off. I have had numerous problems this summer just finding a place to turn my rig around, much less camp.

In the unlikely event I do locate a tiny nook to squeeze into, it's right next to the road---and I eat dust whenever an inconsiderate ATVer flies by.

I had a horrible time locating sites in the Flathead NF ten miles out of Glacier NP in Montana. The MVUM (the map stating where driving and dispersed camping is allowed) listed, as open, dozens of roads that were gated at the street by private landowners. One non-gated road had an official USFS No Overnight Camping sign, under which was scrawled "or locals kick your ***!"

Right now I am in the panhandle of Idaho, where every single town is in the valley right next to I-90. All open forest roads leading out are nearly vertical. Wherever they turn level, surprise, it's private property. Ended up camping atop some old abandoned tailing pile for four nights. The mine owner apparently hasn't noticed me yet.

Tomorrow I am headed to the Coeur d'Alene area. On the far east fringe of town, the BLM took great effort to acquire private trust land so locals could launch boats. This land was also level enough for overnight camping, but "illegal activity" complaints by locals (about locals) put an end to all overnight use in 2008.

So now I will be forced to camp ten miles farther east, 1000 feet up near Fourth of July Summit. Satellite imagery reveals lots of good potential dispersed campsite areas---all on roads marked as closed. The only open roads traverse cliff faces.

It's going to be a long day.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
BulletOwner1

People, we're our own worst enemy!!!!!!!!!!! It's the same with hunting and fishing. Any time there is something good out there someone comes along and ruins it for the rest of us.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
mikell

I have a cabin in a National Forest and they would dearly love for it to disappear. Never know what I 'll have to deal with when I visit. They have put in gates that nobody seems to have a key for then dug trenches and dumped stumps in the drive. After many trips to court they have somewhat backed off.A friend keeps an eyen on it and keeps reminding them it's a driveway not a road
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I saw a number of "great hunting spots" from my childhood disappear as I grew older. I well remember walking the railroad tracks with a single shot 410 to the Tangiaphoa swamp and hunting squirrels with only a few shells and a half pint whiskey bottle (the flask shaped kind) filled with water safely tucked into my back pocket. I would walk the old logging roads, seldom see anyone at all and always came home with my limit of game.

After I joined the military and came home, I'd walk the rails, only to find chains across the roads with "NO TRESPASSING" signs posted all along the way. I talked to the mayor and the president of the police jury (county commissioner in "common states") to find that as people misused the land, dumping old appliances and furniture, cutting trees for firewood, partying and leaving the litter behind, building fires and burning parts of the timber production when they got out of control, that the "land owners" (mustly International Paper and Crown Zellerbach) decided that it would be best if they simply closed the land to their "neighbors", many who were responsible, but a few who abused their privilege of using something that was not theirs.

Yes, we all suffered, and now we can hunt those lands again, but it costs upwards of $1000 a year to join a hunt club to gain access. Throughout Louisiana, public access to private land that was once open has all but gone away. This puts an even greater demand on the public land, much of which has been "redesignated" as a "game preserve" or "nature preserve" to prevent public access. Gone are the days of my youth as well as the "freedom" to enjoy the outdoors. Irresponsibile use by a few ruined it for the rest of us. And, don't forget to put some blame on the lawyers who found an easy way to make money by placing claims for injury against the land owners when anyone was injured while enjoying that "freedom."

I see much of the same happening in Michigan. Between the experiences posted here with roads being trenched, lands being closed for specific purposes and land being redesignated by governmental agencies, it seems the only roads left in the forrested public lands are those used to access the gas and oil wells maintained by industry. I think it's going to get much more restrictive. As budgets become leaner, less money to maintain and patrol the land will be available. Without enforcement on those few who destroy the privilege, the rest of us will see our abiltiy to enjoy "our land" decrease.

Sad but True, I think

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
gearhead

My memory fades by the day, but seems I read just a few years ago that there was an "initiative" to close many roads in National Forests. The thought was there was too much access and the traffic was destroying the environment and disturbing wildlife. While I could see that in some cases, I think it's just an excuse, or ruse, by environmentalists to keep people like us out. If you're not backpacking in, or using llamas, you're an evil destroyer.
Private property is private and they can do as they wish.
There is very little public land in Texas, as the state retained all open land when we joined the Union.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
f6bits

In California, the public lands battle is often the environmentalists trying to shut down mechanical access to the trails. The nasty side effect is that those who *need* to get in there with machinery, such as Forest Service and firefighters…can't.

The other nasty side effect is that the huge numbers of people who now can't use those public lands no longer give a damn about them. If you can't use your public lands, why support them?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
People, we're our own worst enemy!!!!!!!!!!! It's the same with hunting and fishing. Any time there is something good out there someone comes along and ruins it for the rest of us.
All along the Vedder River here where I live, many of the Forest Roads and Forestry Campsites have been closed because of people who have gone into them, left mountains of garbage behind and have trashed picnic tables and outhouses.

Access to many of the productive fishing holes has also been permanently cut off.

Our local and provincial government found that it was just becoming too costly to repair the damage done and since there is no money for adequate patrol or enforcement of existing laws, the barricades were erected.
So while it is convenient for us to blame our elected politicians for this, it is as BulletOwner1 pointed out, our own doing. Not everyone but a few irresponsible yahoos who make many suffer because of their complete disregard for others.

The culprits are difficult to catch and when they are found out, almost all get off with a light slap on the wrist.

It's an increasing problem with no solution in sight.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
All along the Vedder River here where I live, many of the Forest Roads and Forestry Campsites have been closed because of people who have gone into them, left mountains of garbage behind and have trashed picnic tables and outhouses.

Access to many of the productive fishing holes has also been permanently cut off.
Show them a picture of the Vedder fishing gong show when the Salmon are in.

Quote:

Our local and provincial government found that it was just becoming too costly to repair the damage done and since there is no money for adequate patrol or enforcement of existing laws, the barricades were erected.
So while it is convenient for us to blame our elected politicians for this, it is as BulletOwner1 pointed out, our own doing. Not everyone but a few irresponsible yahoos who make many suffer because of their complete disregard for others.

The culprits are difficult to catch and when they are found out, almost all get off with a light slap on the wrist.

It's an increasing problem with no solution in sight.
I know they tried to go to having people pay to stay in the forestry sites. Not sure if that is still happening, but it was really a matter of if someone came by to collect or not.

But I do disagree with part of your comment. It really hasn't been a "few" yahoos. When I used to tent, I'd say it was the majority who were leaving messes and only a few who treated the sites responsibly. Was really sad to see the state of some of the sites after a weekend. Helped with a cleanup at Sawmill (near Penticton) one weekend only to see pictures of the mess about two weeks later.

I've given up on boondocking and will stick to provincial and private sites. My trailer isn't so good on the roads and it just isn't worth the headaches dealing with the drunks. Even hitting local lakes to fish can be annoying.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
diugo
Permanent User Ban

What really ticks me off is that because locals complain about locals doing late night partying and other crap, the Forest Service's solution is to simply close it.

The National Forests are national assets, not local playgrounds. So, I expect some advocacy for those who visit from the rest of the nation. Here's a letter I just emailed to the Idaho Panhandle National Forests:

OK so I am up here, visiting from South Dakota with my RV. Google Earth shows lots of potentially suitable campsites, but guess what??? The MVUM shows them as all closed. The only open roads traverse cliff faces, so I had to make do with a turnout in FR413 where I eat dust every time an ATV flies by.

Great job, guys. I read about how the trashy locals were responsible for the BLM closing Blue Creek Bay to camping in '08, but is it really necessary to do it up here, 20 miles from town? For example, I would have much preferred 413U, but it's locked up tighter than a drum.

Since I'm just an outsider, I'm not expecting any response.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
diugo
Permanent User Ban

And here's a more constructive letter I just emailed to the local Bureau of Land Management.

I was very disappointed to read this press release by your predecessors in 2008: http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/info/new...lue_creek.html

I had hoped to spend about two weeks visiting the Coeur d'Alene area, and this piece of BLM land could not have been better located for dispersed camping, right at the end of one of Idaho's premier urban bike paths.

The thing that gravels me most is that all the local offenders just moved on elsewhere and completely unpunished---while innocent out-of-state RV visitors like myself are now relegated to camp right next to busy, dusty NFS roads ten miles away up on Fourth of July Summit. As a result, I will probably be leaving the area on Monday.

Since BLM lands are national lands, and should be treated like the national assets they are, you might consider the following novel approach next time locals complain about their local neighbors partying all night and trashing the place: This Area Open To Out-Of-State Visitors Only. Then when locals complain about this travesty of justice, simply point out how quiet and clean the place is.

We periodically need to remind our public servants that our land still belongs to us.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Htfiremedic

Try the boondockers welcome sight. It gives places and swaps that are open as well.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
suza

Oregon sites

We have camped in Forest Service and BLM campgrounds in Oregon and had nothing but good experiences. Guess we are just lucky
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote