Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Ruffus

Question Satelitte TV Packages

Hey Guys, kind of dumb when it comes to satelitte TV for Rv's. Do any of these companies such as Direct TV or Dish offer and RV packages for full timers or do you have to buy the dish and reciever then buy the service? If you have a house no problem they fall all over themselves getting you to sign up but I can't find anything for the road warriors among us.
Jim B
(Leaving Florida Soon)
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #2
Jim W

Ruffus,
I looked into Dish Network (already customer) and Direct TV, in early April 10. What I found out was this; Direct TV has a system that they will provide for free to RV'ers, if they can install a system in your permanent home. Dish TV said no they do not offer a free system, you must buy a satellite dish and receiver. In questioning Direct TV I found out you must purchased the satellite Dish and receiver if you are already a customer or you are installing the system in your RV only.
I am using the Dish system when we camp, we purchased the satellite Dish and receiver. Cost for the extra receiver is only a $6 connection fee over and above my normal Dish bill. We went to a local Dish dealer and bought the receiver for $150 and purchased the satellite dish from our RV dealer. The satellite dish was on sale and cheaper then Camping world when we bought it.
The reason they both gave me is the RV is too mobile and they could not recover their equipment if need be. So you must buy the units.
Hope this helps? They may have change they rules by now.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
PSDave

Location: Buena Park, CA. Lat: 33.851° Lon: -118.025° El:047'
Doing the Dishes

Rufus,
I have Direct TV at home.
I found out by accident (while at my last RV campground) that Direct offers a $5 or $6 buck RV account that attaches to the TV plan you already have.
I had a spare VIP1200 SD receiver, so for 5 bucks a month, I received a program card, stuck it in the RX, aimed my Winegard MP-1 to 138 deg azi, and 46 deg ele, and set up my receiver. [I used the MP-1 instead of an old dish I have in the back yard, because it is compact, and folds away in it's protective case. The factory dish has a bulky offset feed, and required too much supporting equipment ... a post, an H-D bucket with rocks or sand, blah-blah-blah,]. Works fine and lasts a long time.

Now, when the girls or grand kids are watching their stuff on the home TV, I can sneak out to the RV, have a brewski, and watch GUY STUFF on MY Satellite TV!

PSDave

2010 Cougar 26SAB X-Lite 5er, 2x Honda 2000i, 2x Kiocera 85W solar, 40A Xantrex reg.
-----
'06-6.0 F-250 PSD AOD, CC, 4x4 SB
AirRaid intake
BANKS Six-Gun iQ (pre-turbo Pyro)
BANKS Monster Diesel Dual Exhaust
BANKS SPEED BRAKE
SNOW Performance Stage 3 MPG-MAX Meth/Water injection (with another pre-turbo Pyro!)
Ride-Rite Air Bags (wireless)
Gear Vendors OVER/UNDER DRIVE
OilGuard bypass oil filtration system
Pullrite 18K Super Glide (auto) Hitch
Retrax bed cover
Otherwise Mostly Stock
PSDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
DFreiberger

Rufus,

I already have Direct in my home. I bought a Winegard Portable dish which folds up small/compact. The dish cost me $108.00. When I go out, I take a receiver from the house, connect dish through the RV to Receiver, run setup on the receiver, and presto!! My cost was for the dish and thats all. Direct TV does not know where the receiver is being used. You just have to set up the zip code for your location where you are using it and it will tell you your aiming direction.
DFreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Ruffus

Smile Satelitte

Well guys, thank you all for the info but my house sold and I cancelled my service so now I have to buy a box since they won't rent them to full timers. So far everyplace we've been, even here in the middle of the Land of Oz we have been able to get anywhere from 12 to 24 stations which really are more than we need. But lots of good information.
Thanks
Jim B.
Fulltimng.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
W5WI

I have been very lucky I guess. All I've had to do with both Direct TV (when I had it) and Dish (my current provider) is to rent an additional receiver. Since both services had upgraded their dishes at my home I had several 500 series dishes on hand. While these dishes won't pick up multiple satellites, they will receive individual ones and you will get full programming, minus local channels. I learned that the dish and transponder will work with either provider regardless of who it came from.

I bought a tripod mount and a signal strength meter from Camping World to set it up. Then I learned you can use the setup feature on the receiver and just type in my current zip code to get a signal strength meter. Lesson learned is that you will get signals from other providers satellites so using the meter on the receiver is best as it will indicate whether or not you are on the correct satellite.

So, I pay $6 a month rent and have the same service on the road that I have at home. With both services I have called the respective company for support and I have told them I am in my RV away from home. They don't care.

The only drawback is that if you need a technician to come out, you have to be at your home base.

Happy Trails,

dale
W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
Terrydactile

If you have somebody in the family or a friend that already has an account you can buy the equipment and install the receiver (temporarily) at their house and have it activated by the Sat. Co. Then install it in your RV. Pay your friends the 6.00 a month additional receiver fee and your done. You could pay them years in advance. I mean 3 years is only 216.00.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
Ruffus

Talking Finally Figured it out!

After two months and endless hours on the interent and phone I finally found someone in America (a retailer) that could figure it out. There is a couple ways to do this. First you can go on craigslist and find a receiver for sale and there's plenty on them and Dish will activate the card and you can turn the system off and on, on a monthly basis. I found a retailer that was able to get me a system for free (equiptment that is) and get the same deals that you would as if you are having it put into your house but it takes a 24 month contract. Twenty four months you say, well you have to live somewhere so if you go in off the road it goes into the house. They are even coming out to the Lake to set it up and show me how to set the dish and aim it at the satillites that I use to launch. $24.95 a monthy and that includes the equipment.
Me Happy cuz the DW is happy, she can watch her realtity shows again, yeh!!!
Life is Good and then it gets better!!!
Fulltimng.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
Maxzd

Dish Network recently announced a pay as you go service for satellite. Seems to be catered to RV customers, sold at places like camping world. You need to buy the receiver and a dish. Here is the link.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...receiver/55084

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote