Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
T-Slim

Rear Folding Rack, How To Mount Bicycles

All,

Planning our first trip with our new Springdale 311 REGL this weekend for memorial day. Our travel trailer came equipped with a rear fold down rack that looks perfect for hauling our two mountain bikes. Has anyone come up with a good, cheap system for tying down/mounting bicycles to this rack that I could accomplish in a days time? I'd like to figure out a method before leaving tomorrow....any help would be appreciated! See picture below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	3162  
T-Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Slim View Post
All,

Planning our first trip with our new Springdale 311 REGL this weekend for memorial day. Our travel trailer came equipped with a rear fold down rack that looks perfect for hauling our two mountain bikes. Has anyone come up with a good, cheap system for tying down/mounting bicycles to this rack that I could accomplish in a days time? I'd like to figure out a method before leaving tomorrow....any help would be appreciated! See picture below
It's hard to tell from the distant pic, but it looks like the slots in the floor of the rack will fit the bike tires. If they sit down in the slots sufficiently, they'd likely stand up without any further assistance. If that is the case, then a few bungees should hold them in place nicely.

I have the slide out tray on the Cougar so the bikes are pretty much in the same place. My wife always follows in here Jeep when we go out and she says that they don't bounce around.

I think a number of us would interested in seeing some closer pics of that tray and how it is mounted to the trailer's frame.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
T-Slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
It's hard to tell from the distant pic, but it looks like the slots in the floor of the rack will fit the bike tires. If they sit down in the slots sufficiently, they'd likely stand up without any further assistance. If that is the case, then a few bungees should hold them in place nicely.

I have the slide out tray on the Cougar so the bikes are pretty much in the same place. My wife always follows in here Jeep when we go out and she says that they don't bounce around.

I think a number of us would interested in seeing some closer pics of that tray and how it is mounted to the trailer's frame.
Just took a ride to the storage unit for some closer pictures, as you can see the floor is actually made of expanded metal and is not slotted. Any ideas? I tried to get the GF to balance the bikes on the rack while I attempted to tie the bikes down in different locations/directions with no luck.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Thank you! Since the floor of the rack is expanded metal, you should be able to use some real short bungees to hold the tires in place so the bikes don't roll or slip side to side.

There is a little square piece of metal tubing welded to the frame of the rack behind the spare tire, kind of like a receiver hitch. If that is a Keystone rack, you should have a piece of square metal about 3' long that will fit into the receiver and give you something to fasten the bikes to that will keep them upright. There's probably a pin with it to hold it in place.

I have the slide-out tray from Keystone, and it has that vertical arm for exactly that purpose.

Some bungees and maybe a little padding and you are good to go.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
SteveC7010

I have circled the little metal receiver type thing that I mentioned:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rack4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	3170  

Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
T-Slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
I have circled the little metal receiver type thing that I mentioned:
I did notice that little receiver, and thought that might have been made for a bike mount. But I did not receive anything with my travel trailer that would be made for that receiver...I figured it might have been an additional accessory to purchase.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Slim View Post
I did notice that little receiver, and thought that might have been made for a bike mount. But I did not receive anything with my travel trailer that would be made for that receiver...I figured it might have been an additional accessory to purchase.
You might check with the dealer and see if you were supposed to get the post.

If not, I bet you can find something that will fit in there and work just fine. Mine has an eye hook on the upper end to help fasten things to it.