Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Myyke

Sewer backflush mod

I added a valve from my cold water line under bathroom sink to my sewer backflush, so i could use either city water connection or water pump to flush sewer tanks. Backflush connector on my trailer didn't have a check valve, so i plugged it for now, until i decide to change it out to a connector with a check valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside backflush.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	3072   Click image for larger version

Name:	outside backflush.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	3073  
Myyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
GaryWT

I hope it works out for you but the last thing I would ever do is cross the fresh water system with the black water system. Seems like some type of code violation even if a check valve is used. What a mess it would be if sewer ever got into the fresh water. I am sure it will be fine but it would worry me.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Myyke

I checked, and there is a vent (just below top lip of sink) between backflush and valve, plus water would have to overflow back through tub sewer before it would get that high to get back to valve.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Myyke

Just checked the vent under sink for it, and it has a check valve built in on mine, so no worries there.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
MarkS

X2 on the worry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I hope it works out for you but the last thing I would ever do is cross the fresh water system with the black water system. Seems like some type of code violation even if a check valve is used. What a mess it would be if sewer ever got into the fresh water. I am sure it will be fine but it would worry me.
Especially given the reported high failure rates of the vacuum breaker, I fully agree with your assessment, Gary.

My Cougar has the outdoor shower right next to the fresh water inlet and the black flush inlet. I can add an extra anti-siphon on the end of the curly blue hose and connect to the black flush if needed. No mod required, no chance of failure or other troubles when not connected. I've only done it a couple of times in campgrounds with no garden hose fitting on the end of their water hose at the dump station. And then, just long enough to dump, flush, dump and go.

Risky business IMHO, but to each his own.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
rlevitt

Black water

I would never couple the fresh water and a black water together even with a check valve.
I also would not use my fresh water hose to flush the black tank. Those nasty critters in there seem to move about and not worth getting sick.
Just my opinion.
Ron
rlevitt is offline   Reply With Quote