Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
hitchikerman

surge protectors

I have a cougar 311rls with 30 amp electrical service and I'm in the market for surge protectors. I do not know too much about these and was wondering which would be a good fit for the trailer. We have one a/c unit and the basics in the trailer. Any help would be appreciated.
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Hitchikerman -
Surge protectors have been discussed quite extensively on the forum and if you use the forum's SEARCH feature, you will be able to find numerous threads/posts about this topic.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
raytronx

I went with the hardwired EMSHW30C from Progressive Industries. Great features, well made in the USA, lifetime warranty.

I have a blog post detailing my install

They also make a portable model that plugs in outside. I like the one I have that is hardwired and has a little Led readout constantly updating the electrical info.

Cheers Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
michol02

Surge protectors are on sale at Camping World right now.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
xaugievike

I recently picked up the portable version of progressive industries 50 amp. Hopefully ill never find out if it works or not! (The polarity testing feature when first plugging in is convenient)
xaugievike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Albert

I also installed the hardwired EMSHW30C from Progressive Industries after looking at Ray's blog. I installed the little monitor inside the slide out drawer as I did not want to see the light blinking thru each readout in the evening. Very happy with the product and very easy to install. My friend installed the 50 amp in his motorhome. He had to call customer support on an issue and they were very responsive .

John
Old 04-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
britch23

The first time I plugged in my new TT used our progressive industries surge guard. Thank goodness. 30 minutes later, camper next to me plugged in and the pole started arking like crazy. Surge guard tripped and all was good. Guy next door lost his refrigerator. Paid form itself on day one. Turned out being a loose neutral on the pole. Doesn't seem to matter what you get, just get something.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
59kaddy

surge protector question

my TH is a 50 amp and most campgrounds are 30 amp. I have the adapter for that application but I cant seem to figure out what I need if I purchase a 50 amp portable surge protector. if the campground is 30 amp, are there small adapters to convert and will the 50 amp surge protector work being plugged into a 30 amp service?

how difficult is it to hardwire a surge protector in and the same question, will it work when plugged into 30 amp?

(brain fart maybe????????)

thank you in advance,

Kaddy
59kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
geo

Kaddy -

A 50 amp surge protector will work on a 30 amp hookup. The same surge/voltage/etc. rules apply. After all, for those of us who have hardwired surge protectors, it would be a very difficult matter to constantly be trading them out between 50 amp and 30 amp.

As opposed to Ray, I chose the Surge Guard 40250 with remote. I posted my installation in the Mods section some time back. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ht=surge+guard Both Surge Guard and Progressive have excellent protectors and ATS, the choice is yours.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
raytronx

Here is a link to PI's FAQ says you can use adapters and maintain protection.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/faqs.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59kaddy View Post
my TH is a 50 amp and most campgrounds are 30 amp. I have the adapter for that application but I cant seem to figure out what I need if I purchase a 50 amp portable surge protector. if the campground is 30 amp, are there small adapters to convert and will the 50 amp surge protector work being plugged into a 30 amp service?

how difficult is it to hardwire a surge protector in and the same question, will it work when plugged into 30 amp?

(brain fart maybe????????)

thank you in advance,

Kaddy

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59kaddy View Post
my TH is a 50 amp and most campgrounds are 30 amp. I have the adapter for that application but I cant seem to figure out what I need if I purchase a 50 amp portable surge protector. if the campground is 30 amp, are there small adapters to convert and will the 50 amp surge protector work being plugged into a 30 amp service? how difficult is it to hardwire a surge protector in and the same question, will it work when plugged into 30 amp?(brain fart maybe????????)
thank you in advance,
Kaddy
======================
One thing to remember when you use a 50 Amp to 30 Amp Converter is then you only have 25 Amps at 120 Volt not your normal 30 Amp at 120 Volt.

I always try getting a 50 Amp site because I have 50 Amp service in my trailer and that gives me a total of 12,000 Watts of power verses 3600 Watts with a standard 30 Amp connection.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
======================
One thing to remember when you use a 50 Amp to 30 Amp Converter is then you only have 25 Amps at 120 Volt not your normal 30 Amp at 120 Volt.

I always try getting a 50 Amp site because I have 50 Amp service in my trailer and that gives me a total of 12,000 Watts of power verses 3600 Watts with a standard 30 Amp connection.
Happy trails,
I'm not sure what you mean by "use a 30 Amp Converter," but if you're talking about the 50 Amp to 30 Amp conversion plug, it is simply a device that connects one hot leg of the 50 Amp plug to one hot leg of the 30 Amp plug, connects the neutral and the ground of each to the appropriate pins on the convesion plug. The other hot lead on the 50 Amp lead is "dead ended" and not used in the conversion plug. Usually 8 guage wire is used for the connections and the assembly is molded with PVC. As such, unless it's a special plug with a limiting circuit in it, the full 50 Amps from the hot pin on the 50 Amp side is applied to the hot pin on the 30 Amp side (through an 8 guage straight wire). This actually applies 50 Amps to the hot pin on the RV power cord when it's plugged into the conversion plug.

I'm not sure what you mean by only 25 Amps is available. To my knowledge, no plug has the ability to reduce the 50 Amps down to 25 Amps within the conversion plug and the full 50 Amps flows through the wire from one end to the other.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "use a 30 Amp Converter," but if you're talking about the 50 Amp to 30 Amp conversion plug, it is simply a device that connects one hot leg of the 50 Amp plug to one hot leg of the 30 Amp plug, connects the neutral and the ground of each to the appropriate pins on the convesion plug. The other hot lead on the 50 Amp lead is "dead ended" and not used in the conversion plug. Usually 8 guage wire is used for the connections and the assembly is molded with PVC. As such, unless it's a special plug with a limiting circuit in it, the full 50 Amps from the hot pin on the 50 Amp side is applied to the hot pin on the 30 Amp side (through an 8 guage straight wire). This actually applies 50 Amps to the hot pin on the RV power cord when it's plugged into the conversion plug.
I'm not sure what you mean by only 25 Amps is available. To my knowledge, no plug has the ability to reduce the 50 Amps down to 25 Amps within the conversion plug and the full 50 Amps flows through the wire from one end to the other.
=====================

John,
You're correct. Ignore my post. After ready up on it I now understand the power distribution better.
Here's a good description:
http://www.myrv.us/electric/
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #14
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by britch23 View Post
Doesn't seem to matter what you get, just get something.
Is this true? After reading some posts here, I am thinking I should return my Camping World model and get a Progressive? Or like you say, does it not matter which brand? I kind of like the idea of a display, but is that just a gadget?

Thanks all for putting up with my incessant, inane questions. Festus tells me I am smashing all of the old newbie posting records for frequency, and diversity of topics. Not sure if that is a good thing, or if I am secretly wearing out my welcome.

Think I will have a cooler of assorted goodies labeled "forum members only" if any of you are in the neighborhood after we start our loop through the US and Canada in two months, just come help yourself, you do not even have to knock. It will be in the back of the truck.
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
HDCVO

Progressive

I went to the Progressive Industries website and they have a link to dealers. The price for the EMS-HW50C on Lawrencerv.com site is well below other prices I have seen. Has anyone had any experience with this company? Just want to make sure everything is legit. Ken
HDCVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
Bob Landry

While you certainly need protection from voltage surges, I think that happens less than we think. Just as important is the protection against reverse polarity, open neutrals, open grounds, and sustained high voltage and low voltage, the last being particularly important for protection of inductive loads. The PI units provide all of this. I can't speak for the other brands, but PI has been around or a long time and they have a great reputation.
My preference runs toward the hardwired variety. I'm sure the pedestal version works as well, but you don't have to worry about the hardwired one growing feet and walking off. Mine lives under the center table at the rear where the power cord connects to the trailer. I also installed it with interlocking plugs so that it can be removed for repair or installed in another trailer if necessary without having to do a lot of disconnect/reconnect work. The led display is mounted behind the cabinet door so I don't have to look at the red flashing display if I choose not to.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #17
Clark

PI makes a great product, I have the pedestal mount 30 amp, Has worked flawlessly, saved me 1 time on low voltage condition, would not allow power into the trailer.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
Wally15

Pi ems $

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCVO View Post
I went to the Progressive Industries website and they have a link to dealers. The price for the EMS-HW50C on Lawrencerv.com site is well below other prices I have seen. Has anyone had any experience with this company? Just want to make sure everything is legit. Ken

I got mine off ebay for $295 from NC. Including shipping. That was the best price I found. Never dealt with Lawrence RV. They're made right next to the Raleigh-Durham airport.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote