Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
sphack

Stabilization - why did I wait?

I have a nine year old cougar fifth wheel (28' or so). With the prospect of a camping trip this year with a 3 1/2 year old an a new Bernes mtn dog puppy, i decided to beef up the camper stabilization. I'm tired of the shaking.

After much research (of which some brought me here), I settled on the steadyfast product.

This cougar has the rear stabilization jacks on the roll out tray. Once the jacks were down you could not extend or retract the tray.

On this setup it requires either welding the rear brace bracket to the tray, or as Paul suggested, build a brace and install new stabilizers directly to the frame.

After repairing and repainting the rear scissor jacks over the years, I finally decided to replace them. So, my quick stabilizer project grew to include scissor jacks and custom braces.

Thankfully my wife put up with my "Saturday morning" project turned into a very long 9am-midnight project (including meals, hardware store trip, ice cream, and putting my daughter to bed).

Last night we used the new system and it works great!

Here is the only picture I took during construction. I'll fill in more details when I can use all ten fingers again to type.

Detached tray with brace sitting on it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367870247.134764.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	3003

The metal spacer removed from the rail.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367870270.441571.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	3004
sphack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
f6bits

I'm not even tired of the shaking and all this enjoyment of the SteadyFast makes me want one. Our shaking isn't that bad – it's more like a jiggle and some bounce. But when I get bored, I'll get me the SteadyFast setup.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
sphack

While I took these pictures right away, I'm finally getting around to uploading them.

The front stabilization is straight forward per steadyfast:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368980322.453245.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	3116

Driver side scissors jack mounted to the frame. I've not installed the extra matching foot on this side yet. I forgot before welding everything together now I need to do this one attached. Brace is 16" long.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368980456.873483.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	3117

The passenger side. The box tube brace is 8" long.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368980523.861026.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	3118

Next up, after my Memorial Day trip, painting all the welded stuff.
sphack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
labs4life

I put it on our sprinter 311 after our shake down trip. We moved from a 28' TT to a 35' unit and the shaking was much worse.

I I stalled the system on a Saturday morning, (no custom fab work for me) and the DW is tickled to death. I just loosened the clamps the last time we were out to see if she noticed, and she immediately stuck her head out and said something is wrong with the camper!!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote