Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
slider

I like that. Do our campers have something to turn the charger off when the batteries are charged or if I leave plugged in should I add a switch to disconnect the battery (or batteries)?

Not trying to hijack the thread but thinking about doing the 6v battery mod and was wondering if i also need to add switch.
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

There is no need to add a switch top disconnect the batteries if you are concerned about the converter overcharging the batteries. If your converter is working properly, it will go into one of three modes and sense what charge to deliver to the batteries.
If you want to add a battery disconnect switch for other reasons - to prevent drain on the batteries from stereo back lights, sensors, etc., then that would be something to consider.
Just make sure that you check the water level in your batteries on a regular basis to ensure that they are sufficiently topped up if you are leaving your unit plugged in most of the time.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
AlCorr

My trailer came with a battery disconnect switch. You can see the Red Switch in this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCorr View Post
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
AlCorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #24
jje1960

DC

While we do not dry without genset much, I do want to watch Television while we stop at parking lot's overnight. With our 32" flatscreen, our single original 12V is not enough. With the 32" and the satellite box for the dome, less than a minute the inverter starts squealing (low voltage). We still have not decided if we should purchase 2X6V or just add another 12V in parallel.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
While we do not dry without genset much, I do want to watch Television while we stop at parking lot's overnight. With our 32" flatscreen, our single original 12V is not enough. With the 32" and the satellite box for the dome, less than a minute the inverter starts squealing (low voltage). We still have not decided if we should purchase 2X6V or just add another 12V in parallel.
As a "long term" investment, the 6 volt system is probably a much wiser, and long term cheaper way to go. But if the current battery is relatively new, buying another 12 volt and wiring in parallel would be the cheapest initial investment. I think I'd originally try that, then, when you need to replace batteries a couple of years from now, get the two 6 volt batteries at that time.

You say the inverter starts squealing after a minute or two. Do you have it connected via a cigarette lighter socket? If so, your wiring is probably not big enough to support the current draw. We wired a 10 gage terminal under the TV and plug the inverter in there (with an actual wiring harness, not a cigarette lighter plug). Our existing lighter plug wouldn't provide enough amperage and the voltage drop caused the inverter to drop out (low voltage) as soon as the wires warmed up and the inverter "got going good"

With the heavier plug and the heavier supply wires, now it'll run the 26" TV with no problem. Not sure what your total current draw with the satellite dish, converter and TV would be, but probably a bunch more than our LED TV. I think the total draw from our TV is 95 watts, which is less than 1 amp at 120 VAC (9 amps at 12 VDC). Your Draw with a 32" TV, satellite converter/dish would probably be closer to 250 watts which is a little over 2 amps at 120VAC. That's about 20 amps at 12 VDC. A significant drain on a single 12 volt battery. I'd guess you should get 3 or 4 hours out of a double 12 volt battery system and most likely 6-8 hours out of a mid range 6 volt system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
jje1960

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As a "long term" investment, the 6 volt system is probably a much wiser, and long term cheaper way to go. But if the current battery is relatively new, buying another 12 volt and wiring in parallel would be the cheapest initial investment. I think I'd originally try that, then, when you need to replace batteries a couple of years from now, get the two 6 volt batteries at that time.

You say the inverter starts squealing after a minute or two. Do you have it connected via a cigarette lighter socket? If so, your wiring is probably not big enough to support the current draw. We wired a 10 gage terminal under the TV and plug the inverter in there (with an actual wiring harness, not a cigarette lighter plug). Our existing lighter plug wouldn't provide enough amperage and the voltage drop caused the inverter to drop out (low voltage) as soon as the wires warmed up and the inverter "got going good"

With the heavier plug and the heavier supply wires, now it'll run the 26" TV with no problem. Not sure what your total current draw with the satellite dish, converter and TV would be, but probably a bunch more than our LED TV. I think the total draw from our TV is 95 watts, which is less than 1 amp at 120 VAC (9 amps at 12 VDC). Your Draw with a 32" TV, satellite converter/dish would probably be closer to 250 watts which is a little over 2 amps at 120VAC. That's about 20 amps at 12 VDC. A significant drain on a single 12 volt battery. I'd guess you should get 3 or 4 hours out of a double 12 volt battery system and most likely 6-8 hours out of a mid range 6 volt system.
I'm going to just try a basic test in the driveway, just jump another to the 12V and see how it goes. Thanks for the great info, yes, agree with your perspective with waiting for replacement time to move to the 6V, which is the optimum configuration... That's if the 2X 12's will work for now.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
I'm going to just try a basic test in the driveway, just jump another to the 12V and see how it goes. Thanks for the great info, yes, agree with your perspective with waiting for replacement time to move to the 6V, which is the optimum configuration... That's if the 2X 12's will work for now.
Sounds like you've got a plan going. The only problem (if you can call it that) with dry camping in WalMart lots and watching TV with the inverter system is the relatively low amperage provided by the tow vehicle to recharge a dual battery system (either 6 VDC or 12 VDC) between stops. Using a significant amount of battery power during a stop and only having a limited capability to recharge before the next stop might have a detrimental effect on TV watching the second or third evening. If you're going to stop in a campground every other night or tow for more than 12 hours or so before the next big TV event, it might not matter, but towing for 4 or 5 hours and then using the TV again for several hours may not give you enough time to recharge..... Just thinking out loud..... Let us know how it goes

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
jje1960

Tested...

Well, connected another 12v (jump box) however same result, started to squeal pretty quickly. Believe you were correct, the draw on that 12V cigarette plug is just to much. Have decided to just get another 12V battery and box, put it in the front compartment next to the other battery and run a wire(s) directly to the inverter. I'm wondering if I can just grab a ground up there and just run a + cable? Any thoughts?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #29
MikeEcho

6 Volts in Fifth Wheel

So, I have a question for a fifth wheel.

I have a 2012 341TG Keystone Avalanche and the battery is shot. It was an SRM24 12 V deep cycle.

I'm considering replacing with 2 golf cart batteries in series either from Costco or Interstate.

I think it will fit, but will measure to make sure. So, the question is of form and fit, I'm confident that the function will work. The battery compartment is on the passenger side of the Fifth Wheel. The tray is black angle iron and the compartment is open to the road on the bottom.

From interstate, the batteries are 68 lbs each, so if they fit, I'm looking at about 140 lbs on that tray.

Has anyone else replaced your 12v's with 2 6v's in this keystone type tray? Were you worried about the weight at all? Did you have any issues fitting the batteries in? I get that they'll be heavy and will probably be cumbersome to move in and out. I just want to make sure that they'll fit and the tray or rack will safely hold the batts.

thanks
MikeEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
Jables

I don't know about the size of your tray, but I would guess two 6 volts would fit fine. It's a tight squeeze on the front of my Springdale 267, but I made sure the dealer installed them. The battery boxes are close to the tank cover, but they fit fine. I would go with the Interstate batteries. I've sold them for over a decade and had maybe a 1% comeback rate.
Jables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #31
FireMech

MikeEcho,
I've got an 07 Raptor 5th wheel and have two 6 volts in the battery compartment you are talking of. My 5er is older than yours but I understand your concern with weight and space. Yes, the batteries are very heavy and a pain to install/remove but they fit. I don't have a battery box and I'm not sure one would even fit-it's pretty tight. I am going to install two additional 6 volt batteries in the front generator compartment- with a battery box. 6 volts are the way to go....
Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #32
trucker LOU

Hey JRTJH, John the battery box shown in earlier post by AlCorr is the same as the ones I used. price about the same also.good stuff. --- LOU ---
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #33
Comptech

Something else I have noticed after installing a second 12v battery that I have not seen other people mention.... My slides seem to have a lot more power when moving in and out. Before they seemed sluggish, now they seem to move more quickly.... I wonder if with the single battery if it was really just the bare minimum to run the motors with the large slides. Same principle with my F-350 diesel, I have dual batteries to start it too.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #34
sphack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMech View Post
MikeEcho,
I've got an 07 Raptor 5th wheel and have two 6 volts in the battery compartment you are talking of. My 5er is older than yours but I understand your concern with weight and space. Yes, the batteries are very heavy and a pain to install/remove but they fit. I don't have a battery box and I'm not sure one would even fit-it's pretty tight. I am going to install two additional 6 volt batteries in the front generator compartment- with a battery box. 6 volts are the way to go....
I have a similar setup and found a decent solution to removing the batteries. Go to interstate and ask for a battery lifter. They're little plastic straps with metal hooks. With these you can lift a battery out much easier than without. Doesn't solve the problem of how to lift them out if the front compartment.
sphack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #35
AlCorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
Something else I have noticed after installing a second 12v battery that I have not seen other people mention.... My slides seem to have a lot more power when moving in and out. Before they seemed sluggish, now they seem to move more quickly.... I wonder if with the single battery if it was really just the bare minimum to run the motors with the large slides. Same principle with my F-350 diesel, I have dual batteries to start it too.
When installing two 12 volt batteries the voltage stays the same (volts), but the amps double, so be careful you don't burn out your slid motor.
http://www.familymotorsports.com/sel...ingdiagram.htm
Look at this link, about 3/4 way down on the right, shows two 6v and two 12v, look at the amps on the batters and then the output amps.
New Bedford, MA
Old 05-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #36
Comptech

Alcorr,
The available AMPs double, keyword being AVAILABLE...
The motor will draw as many AMPs as it needs to run under load, the more load the more AMPS it would draw. The only way you would burn out the motor is if the slide got jammed and you kept trying to run the motor until it burnt out...
Also,
So just like a 12v light bulb, theoretically would light twice as long having two 12v batteries. Or just like a flashlight with two batteries in it is going to last longer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCorr View Post
When installing two 12 volt batteries the voltage stays the same (volts), but the amps double, so be careful you don't burn out your slid motor.
http://www.familymotorsports.com/sel...ingdiagram.htm
Look at this link, about 3/4 way down on the right, shows two 6v and two 12v, look at the amps on the batters and then the output amps.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #37
AlCorr

You don't need a battery box if you worrying about pulling them out, just strap them down.
New Bedford, MA
Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #38
AlCorr

[QUOTE=Comptech;75579]Alcorr,
The available AMPs double, keyword being AVAILABLE...
The motor will draw as many AMPs as it needs to run under load, the more load the more AMPS it would draw. The only way you would burn out the motor is if the slide got jammed and you kept trying to run the motor until it burnt out.

Sorry, if it gets jammed he could burn the motor out.
New Bedford, MA