Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
tafty77

Question 2012 Ram 1500

hi. I have a 5.7 with 3.93 rear end. specs say I can pull 10200. I am thinking about buying a Hideout 290lhs. Any opinions on this combo?
tafty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
davidjsimons

Check your payload capacity and consider your tongue weight while loaded for a trip, plus whatever gear you may be transporting in the bed of the truck, along with passengers in the cab. My guess is it will be very close. Pulling power is seldom the issue on newer trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
KJcachers

We have a 2011 1500 crew cab and decided to keep our weight under 6000 lbs just for the reasons stated: payload and tongue weight. The coil spring rear end is the limiting factor on the 1500 but the MDS Hemi doesn't come in the 2500 which does have the leaf spring rear suspension. We wanted the MDS for the mileage when not towing so we also opted for a bit smaller trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafty77 View Post
hi. I have a 5.7 with 3.93 rear end. specs say I can pull 10200. I am thinking about buying a Hideout 290lhs. Any opinions on this combo?

I would refer to the Ram Body Builders guide for information on what your truck can actually tow. At the end of the 1500 Series information there is foot notes as to what the truck hitches are rated for such as a class 3 bumper is only rated for 500LBS and the Class 4 reciever is rated for 1200 LBS. This is the tong weight of the trailer which is usally around 10 to 15 % of traler mass.

See attached ULR.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2012/d...ammlup1500.pdf

It would also help to know what size bed and model of truck since this effects the mass that the truck can tow.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
audio1der

Hi Tafty,
I also have a 2012 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4. The tongue weight really is the limiting factor, but is easily remedied with Timbren Aeon rubber springs or airbags in the coils (as little as $88). Once you add a couple propane tanks and batteries the tongue weight specs change quite a bit from what the mfr ratings are.
As mentioned above, power is NOT a concern with our trucks unless you have the 3.55 gears which you don't.

The other concern I have is the stock tires. Our sport has the 20" rims and we can't get the 'LT' version of any decent tires with the extra belt for an 'E' load rating. I'm seriously considering a set of Michelin MX2s before we even attempt towing again in the spring. The stock Firestone Wranglers have sloppy sidewalls, leading to much of the sway you'll encounter.

Oh- if you have the 20's and haven't decided on a hitch yet, I would SERIOUSLY advise looking at the merits of a Hensley Arrow or Propride hitch system. I've spent almost as much on my Reese setup and we're crossing our fingers the dual-cam sway controllers do the trick. The HA or PP would have been easier and more certain with no white-knuckle experiences in the interim. It's not a weight issue, in fact more trailer weight might help. Having a lightweight trailer with so much side area is like pulling a big kite, and it can tax the limits of a half ton.

Hope this helps!
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote