Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
JeffS

Gauges sweeping at startup

About 2 months ago the gauges on my 2003 F150 (7700) started to sweep at start-up. In other words all gauges would sweep all the way to the right at start-up, hold there then settle back to the left once ignition was complete. An internet search on the issue indicated that this was a symptom of a low battery or pending battery failure.

The other day I put the battery on the charger for the day and the sweep has gone away.

Has anyone else seen this??????
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My 2010 F150 has done that since new. I had just thought that it was a part of the instrument panel boot up process. I know my battery is good, it's been starting the truck for going on the third winter. Can't tell you much other than that.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
mike&jenny

03 f150

My 03 F150 did the same thing when I was having problems with the battery. It hasn't done it anymore since I charged the battery. I think a light was left on overnight in one of the visors and a very cold morning. Nothing like getting up very early to go deer hunting and having your truck not start.
mike&jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
JeffS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My 2010 F150 has done that since new. I had just thought that it was a part of the instrument panel boot up process. I know my battery is good, it's been starting the truck for going on the third winter. Can't tell you much other than that.
I have not been having trouble starting my truck either. But did notice that the charger did not show it at full charge when I put it on the other day. Had it out again tonight and NO gauge sweep - go figure!
Huntley, Illinois
Old 12-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Brantlaker

Gauges

The gauges are sweeping because the is a bad ground either at the firewall, or the engine block. There should be a braided wire at the rear of the engine to the firewall. After the engine is started (out of cranking mode) the gauges finds a ground through some through some other electrical connection. Check all of the connections at the fire wall and the Ignition switch. The cause of the sweep is a high resistance on the ground side.This is my experience working in Ford shops over 30 years.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
The gauges are sweeping because the is a bad ground either at the firewall, or the engine block. There should be a braided wire at the rear of the engine to the firewall. After the engine is started (out of cranking mode) the gauges finds a ground through some through some other electrical connection. Check all of the connections at the fire wall and the Ignition switch. The cause of the sweep is a high resistance on the ground side.This is my experience working in Ford shops over 30 years.
So Brantlaker, are you saying that I may have a problem with a ground wire that was never working properly on my truck? or is there a different reason for the guages to sweep to the right on newer Fords?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
jsmith948

Wow! Our 2005 Explorer and our 2011 F250 both exhibit this "gauge sweep" at start-up. Have done so since new. Like John, I thought it was part of the 'boot up' process. I would be wary of a shop looking to sell you a battery and/or a couple of hours of not needed labor. JMHO - FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
PerryB

After reading this thread I had to go check my vehicles. 2011 F-350 does the sweep. 2010 Expedition does not. I really don't think its a grounding issue for two reasons (sorry Gary, I'm not attempting to discredit you-just disagreeing). First, you'd be seeing other instrumentation/accessory issues such as fluctuating lamps or erratic sound system performance and second, there is no change in ground path that occurs when cranking vs. running. Do they normally sweep when the key is first turned on -prior to any cranking attempt? My guess would be yes, and the second sweep your getting immediately after starting is because the voltage went so low while cranking that the Body Control Module (or whatever Ford calls it) saw this as an off/on cycle. One way to prove or disprove the weak ground theory would be to locate the body to block tie and jumper a good sized wire (like #10) from there to the neg. post of the battery. If the problem goes away you have your culprit and I will be offering Gary my most sincere apologies. In your case I think its battery time, since putting it on the charger temporarily fixed the problem. I do find it interesting that our moderator - JRTJH - has a 2010 f150 that sweeps and my 2010 Expedition does not. Go figure. -- Perry
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I just did a search on the F150.com forum. Here's what I found:

2010 F150 Gauge Behavior When Starting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I'd share some feedback regarding the gauge behavior on my newly purchased 2010 F150. Upon starting it, all 6 of my gauges peg to the max position for a sec or so, then resort back to normal operating positions. This happens when the vehicle is warm or cold.

Since the behavior in my wife's 2010 Expedition isn't consistent with this I called the service dept (at the dealership where I bought it) to ask them about it. They immediately responded that was typical operation. Still skeptical, I searched online and found a few references that suggested it did not happen unless there were possible battery, grounding, or alternator issues.

A few days later I happened to be at a different Ford dealership to pickup a part I ordered. I drove through their service dept and described the symptoms with them, and then demonstrated it. They put a meter on my battery and it responded full strength. All appeared well electrically, so the service advisor then walked up to the showroom with me where he pulled the keys to a different F150 on the lot with the identical configuration as mine (Lariat 4x4 Supercrew). We popped the key in and turned it to the run position and saw the exact same behavior. Definitely not consistent with the Expedition, and contrary to suggestions I saw online suggesting it was due to a pending electrical issue.

Just thought I'd share as an FYI in the event any new 2010 owners had the same question.

The website is here: http://www.f150forum.com/f4/insrament-issues-170236/

So, I guess in older trucks the battery may be weak, but in the 2010 and apparently newer trucks, it's designed into the instrument panel and does not indicate a problem.

Apparently Ford started using the Digital Instrument Cluster in 1999. They have since incorporated the feature in more of their models. I can't say if there are any models that do not have this feature now, but there's some pretty good reading at this site regarding how the system works and how to test your instrument panel.

http://www.bullittarchive.com/1022.htm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Brantlaker

Gauges

I retired in 2005 and I try to keep up with all of the new systems. I get Motors magazine, other Trade publications and I am still hooked up to the Ford Dealer System. I checked for any TSB's and what I found is that some trucks will sweep and some will not depending on the assembly plant.That is some thing that I found out over the years working for them.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
Johnnyfry

Instrument sweep

I believe that it is a calibration test. In my Dodge you can make this occur by pushing in the trip odo reset at the same time as Turing on the key. It allows you to test if all the electronic meters for proper calibration and it also tests all the indicator lights on the panel.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

BOTH SIDES OF THIS ARE RIGHT! most of the newer cars trucks do a gauge sweep on start up. the older dodges do it like johnyfry stated. a weak battery will also make the gauges jump up when in the crank not run position.but usualy they will not go all the way up. a ground problem will also cause many other issues. so i would not buy the ground story unless other things are happening.dim lights or incorrect readings. One thing i am seeing alot of( please remember i work on cars not trucks) is that the dash control units(modules) have solder joint issues. some times they will just blank out and then start to work. also abs/traction controlers will trun on the abs tcs lights speedos will stop working. that i have sen in frod trucks.there is a company that will repair it.( i am not part of this company) but if it will help someone. it on line at bba-reman.com we use them a lot
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

just an update. i talked with bba-reman. they told me that 2011 on most cars trucks do a full sweep on key on. 2010 fords some do some do not depending on factory programing.. if anyone thinks they have an issue with the MIU(main insterment unit) us oldtimers call it the cluster. but now it is a computor and very complex. contact www.bba-reman.com on line they will help you out They are not dealer only they will help anyone and pricing is very good.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
JeffS

It sweeps no more

As a final note, the other day I pulled the battery cover and noticed that all cells were low on water. Topped them up then put it on the charger for a couple hours and the gauges have not swept since. I understand from the posts that with many of the newer trucks the sweep is part of the start-up procedure. But apparently in older trucks, like my 2003, it is related to a weak or degrading battery.
Huntley, Illinois