Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
K-Man

Towing Question

I know this question gets asked a gazillion times, but I want to know if I'm within the parameters. I've read so much confusing info, my brain is starting to short circuit.

The trailer we're buying is the 2011 Copper Canyon. Weight is 10560.

The gross weight for truck and trailer for our truck is 18500. The approximate weight of our truck is 5900. It's a '91 Ford F250HD XLT Lariat with tow package. It has the 460 auto in it. Gear ratio is 4:10.

Where my confusion lies is with now I read that I'm supposed to add the hitch weight to the formula.

10560 = trailer
5900 = truck
2160 = hitch weight
18620 = total

That puts us over the gross combined. Am I understanding this correctly?
K-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Seann
Permanent User Ban

NO the hitch weight is part of the trailer weight in your case here. The hitch weight has more to do with what the rear axle will handle.. Dont forget to add the weight of all passengers and luggage in the truck+ the weight of the driver if over 150 lbs...
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Jim W

I do not like to tell people what they can and can not tow. I am not a member of the weight police. What I will tell you, my experience and what I am using to tow with.
I too towed a 5er with a gasser at first, but only twice. I told my DW never again. This was a 2001 Chevy 6L gas engine, extended cab short bed truck with an auto and 3:73 gears, pulling a 11K 5er. I got only 6 to 7 miles to the gallon and had a very difficult time getting into and out of gas stations with the 5er attached. You need to be careful with overhead carports with the 5er and clearance between the pumps island and truck with the 5er attached.
I now pull with a diesel 2500HD truck and my 5er is a 318SAB Cougar. I ran this across the scales this spring and this is my weight distribution.
The Front Axle is 4940 (max FRW 5200), Rear axle 5160 (max RAW6010), Trailer axle 8140 and the gross com bind weight of 18,240 Max GCWR 20,000)LBS.
On your truck should be a weight label that list front, rear and gross combine weights you should not go over these weights. Another area to look at is your rear tire weight rating at max air pressure. Do not over load the tires they could fail do to heat and overloaded condition when towing.
I am not trying to discourage you but want to point out what you need to consider when towing a camper of any size.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
K-Man

What is "pin" weight that I've read about that needs to be added into the combined weight? Is that the actual hitch setup itself?

Rear axle is 6084 lbs. I was thinking about getting air bags or that Demco Glide Ride to help, along with heavy duty shocks.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Jim W

Pin weight is the weight that the trailer will place on the rear axle as the trailer is towed. This is all part of the load carrying ability of the rear axle. Since the rear axle on your truck is rated for 6084 Lbs and the trailer pin weight 20%. I used the max pin weight of total gross weight of the trailer is 2,112 lbs you might be close. The only true way to know is weight the total combine load, truck and trailer together.

Air bags do not increase load carrying capability. All they will do is to allow the truck to be level when towing.

The Demco glide will improve the ride of the trailer and truck by helping to limit some of the chucking that occurs.
I have installed the Trailair pin box on my 5er to help with ride quality.
Jim
Old 08-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
K-Man

Thanks, everyone, for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

As you can probably guess, we're new at this and we're trying to get it right the first time.

Jim: How do you like that Trailair? I looked at the link I think you had posted in another thread about it and read some of the information. My desire would be to do what we can, all things considered, to make the towing of the trailer as good as we can. And eventually in a couple of years we'll upgrade the truck to make improvements there.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #7
Jim W

My DW and I like the unit and would buy this style of unit again. We had a few small issues with our camper and they were fixed by the dealer. Keystone had two recalls on the this model and both were resolved to my satisfaction.
We have towed the camper for over 3K miles all ready this summer. The only complaint was the chucking of the camper on some of the interstate highway system, do to roadway conditions. We have since installed a TrailAir pin box to help with the ride and chucking of the camper and truck.
The 13,500BTU A/C has worked very will in our unit. We camped below the Mason Dixon line this summer and had to run the unit continuously. It would take and hour or so to cool the camper after we reached the campground but that is what any A/C would take to cool a camper. We were moving ever 5 days or so to a new campground in a different state. We ended up in Nashville TN in mid June. Temps were in the 95+ range with humidity in the 80+ range and the A/C worked great.
I would used this pre-delivery check list that is provide by one of the moderators. Go over the camper with this and you should have a great camper to use and enjoy.
http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-Deli...0Checklist.pdf
Jim