Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
randy69

Remote camera

Has anyone have experience with remote backup camera. And if so, what would you recommend ?.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Halibutman214

There's another active thread just posted with this same question. It's "Hitch alignment back up camera".
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibutman214 View Post
There's another active thread just posted with this same question. It's "Hitch alignment back up camera".
Are you sure it was this site. cannot find the post. And A remote camera on the back of a long 5th wheel is what i'm currious about. Backing in a tight spot this would be handy.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
Old 08-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I installed a wired system on my fifth wheel. All together it was about $250 and a day's work to install it. Really quite nice to be able to see and hear the DW when she's back there, but it is quite easy to get disoriented watching the camera as it is not the same as a mirror. Mine has a menu item to select mirror image or image, I seem to always get it mixed up, then in the middle, after switching, I try to react the "other way"

However, there is nothing nicer (well, relatively speaking) than being able to look up where the rear view mirror is located and have a 7" monitor showing what's behind the fifth wheel in full living color.

I tried one of the wireless systems initially, but quickly learned that the 26' trailer was too long to get a reliable signal to the cab of the truck. I have no doubt you will run into an even greater problem with a longer trailer.

I can post a link to the system I bought if you'd like.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
Are you sure it was this site. .
Positive! It was posted yesterday by pjhauck.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I installed a wired system on my fifth wheel. All together it was about $250 and a day's work to install it. Really quite nice to be able to see and hear the DW when she's back there, but it is quite easy to get disoriented watching the camera as it is not the same as a mirror. Mine has a menu item to select mirror image or image, I seem to always get it mixed up, then in the middle, after switching, I try to react the "other way"

However, there is nothing nicer (well, relatively speaking) than being able to look up where the rear view mirror is located and have a 7" monitor showing what's behind the fifth wheel in full living color.

I tried one of the wireless systems initially, but quickly learned that the 26' trailer was too long to get a reliable signal to the cab of the truck. I have no doubt you will run into an even greater problem with a longer trailer.

I can post a link to the system I bought if you'd like.
Please post the link. My 39' 7" toyhauler triple axel pulling with a long bed f350 can be a challenge to back in.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

When I bought mine late in 2010, it was $249 with free shipping. Now, it appears to be $299, but you might want to call and talk to them (really nice people) and see if they have any specials going. This link is for the waterproof color/sound camera, 7" monitor, 60' trailer wiring (just coil the rest in the hitch box) truck wiring and the interconnecting coiled cable designed for trailer towing.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/produc...5th-wheel.html

Good luck, I'm very satisfied with mine after 2 years of use. (I finally took the plastic film off the monitor this summer....

If you decide to go with this system, PM me and I'll give you some hints to make it easier to install and use......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
Halibutman214

Here's the link... or maybe I don't know how to post a link.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7654