Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
newhitney

Hot water to sink?

New to this. Can get hot water hot in tank but can not get to sinks. Camping now and forgot to bring manuel with me. Can any one help. Have look for every where and no luck.
newhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
bennydog

Can you get cold water to the sinks?
It could be that the unit has a hot water tank bypass for winterizing that has not had the valves set back to normal use.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

A single valve water heater bypass would not allow the tank to fill. Most newer trailers use this type valve. If it is not coming out of the faucets ... how do you know that you have hot water??? Check your inside and outside shower to see that the water is off at the faucet and not just the shower-head. This will cause the cold water to recirculate to the sinks.
I hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
newhitney

Hot water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennydog View Post
It could be that the unit has a hot water tank bypass for winterizing that has not had the valves set back to normal use.
Can not find the by tank by pass. Pressure releif valve is releasing hot water. I get water out of both hot and cold facuets, but no hot water.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
newhitney

Can not find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennydog View Post
I can not find the valves. Model is 05 Keystone Clearwater edition 260TBL. I left my manuel at home and this is the first time i've used it.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Check your shower valves inside and out ... be sure they are not turned off at the shower-head only. This will send cold water to all faucets.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
GBHRPS

newhitney,
Wherever your hot water tank is located on the OUTSIDE of your trailer, this location will correspond to where you should find the access on the INSIDE of the trailer to the water heater's internal plumbing.

On my 5er this just happens to be right behind a drawer in the kitchen. If I pull that particular drawer out of the cupboard, it gives me access to the back end of the water heater. Here I find the internal wiring, thermostats (I presume) and the hot and cold water hookups to the water tank.

On my unit there is only one valve that I need to turn 90 degrees to bypass the water tank for winterizing. This may be the same on your unit, and may be your problem. On other trailers I have seen as many as 3 such valves that when opened or closed, completely bypass the water heater altogether. The plumbing in some units is also colour coded red for hot water and blue for cold.

Hope this steers you in the right direction! Good Luck!

Gene
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
newhitney

Tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBHRPS View Post
newhitney,
Wherever your hot water tank is located on the OUTSIDE of your trailer, this location will correspond to where you should find the access on the INSIDE of the trailer to the water heater's internal plumbing.

On my 5er this just happens to be right behind a drawer in the kitchen. If I pull that particular drawer out of the cupboard, it gives me access to the back end of the water heater. Here I find the internal wiring, thermostats (I presume) and the hot and cold water hookups to the water tank.

On my unit there is only one valve that I need to turn 90 degrees to bypass the water tank for winterizing. This may be the same on your unit, and may be your problem. On other trailers I have seen as many as 3 such valves that when opened or closed, completely bypass the water heater altogether. The plumbing in some units is also colour coded red for hot water and blue for cold.

Hope this steers you in the right direction! Good Luck!

Gene
My tank and heater are in back. I've pulled every drawer and access panel off to find it and no luck. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhitney View Post
My tank and heater are in back. I've pulled every drawer and access panel off to find it and no luck. Thanks for the reply.
If you can see the back of the tank, the valve is there. It may be on the side of the vertical tube that is facing the tank. Feel the back of the tubing for the valve. It is a ¼ turn only valve.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
ftwildernessguy

Depending on where the tank is located relative to the faucet, and assuming the bypass valve is in the correct position and the tank is full and hot, it may just take a while to get hot water out of the tap for no other reason than the distance it has to travel. My 210rs is pretty small, but the water heater is about as far from any faucet as it can be, and it takes several seconds of running to get any hot water.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
newhitney

Found it.

Thanks for all the help. I found the back of the hot water heater. It was under the panel of the bed in the back. There was a by pass pipe and a valve. Newbie hear and thanks for the help here . Back to Rving next weekend.