Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Festus2
Site Team

Sewer Outlet Connections

I'm sure that all of us have removed the twist off cap to the main sewer outlet, only to find ourselves leaping out of the way to avoid the "stuff" pouring out before you can get your sewer hose connected. I am finding that the 3 pull rods used to release the contents of the 3 waste holding tanks on our Cougar are a bit on the "flimsy side". I have been left holding just the handle on one occasion and the handle and rod on another.

I am never quite sure if the valves are completely shut when I push them back in. And the whole system is quite inaccessible since it is almost entirely enclosed in the underbelly.

To help reduce the risk of these sudden and most unwelcome outbursts of stuff from the sewer lines when removing the cap, I have purchased and installed a twist-on waste valve made by Valterra. It simply twists on your existing sewer outlet (just like the cap) but has a sliding pull-out valve which, when closed, will prevent any sewage (grey or black) that may have leaked out into the main line from spilling out when the cap is removed. It also serves as another valve at the end of the line in case you forget to close off one or more of the 3 tank valves. But who would ever forget to do that?
I had to cut off about 6 inches of the main sewer pipe so that it didn't protrude outward beyond the side of the RV. Had to buy another fitting and glue it to the main pipe.

You can pick up one of these Twist On Waste Valves from CW or most RV places for about $25-$28.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
sbebenelli

Great idea. My Jayco had two valves with long rods. It always seemed to leak just enough that some came out when I took the cap off. My Keystone has Valterra valves right next to the opening and both shut off good and nothing builds up behind the cap.

2010 Keystone Hidout
2000 Chevy Silverado 5.3 4:10 gears
Equal-i-zer Hitch
sbebenelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Firecapt

Sewer valves

I'll tell you, I'm seriously thinking of installing one of the various available electric valves. I had the same problem with the handle and rod coming off when pulled; luckily it was the galley tank and not the black tank.

Another alternative is the newly available product from Barker (the portable tank people)http://www.rvstuffusa.com/autodrain1...rbybarker.html

This one doesn't replace your current valve but instead adds on to it and opens it with a switch (electrically).

Even with the enclosed undercarriage I may do this mod because the current rods and handles can snag on something and break off, they are flimsy, and generally unreliable.

In short, I'm tired of worrying about dealing with sewer problems!

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Bigk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I'm sure that all of us have removed the twist off cap to the main sewer outlet, only to find ourselves leaping out of the way to avoid the "stuff" pouring out before you can get your sewer hose connected. I am finding that the 3 pull rods used to release the contents of the 3 waste holding tanks on our Cougar are a bit on the "flimsy side". I have been left holding just the handle on one occasion and the handle and rod on another.

I am never quite sure if the valves are completely shut when I push them back in. And the whole system is quite inaccessible since it is almost entirely enclosed in the underbelly.

To help reduce the risk of these sudden and most unwelcome outbursts of stuff from the sewer lines when removing the cap, I have purchased and installed a twist-on waste valve made by Valterra. It simply twists on your existing sewer outlet (just like the cap) but has a sliding pull-out valve which, when closed, will prevent any sewage (grey or black) that may have leaked out into the main line from spilling out when the cap is removed. It also serves as another valve at the end of the line in case you forget to close off one or more of the 3 tank valves. But who would ever forget to do that?
I had to cut off about 6 inches of the main sewer pipe so that it didn't protrude outward beyond the side of the RV. Had to buy another fitting and glue it to the main pipe.

You can pick up one of these Twist On Waste Valves from CW or most RV places for about $25-$28.
Can you take a picture and post your mod?
2016 F350 XLT 4x4 SRW CC LB 6.7L
2007 3500 Dodge DRW CC CTD, 6.7L (SOLD)
16K Husky EZ-Roller Hitch
Bigk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

While you are waiting for the photo of the modification, you can go to the Valterra website and it will give you a very clear photo of the Twist on Valve Accessory. If you put your mouse on the small photo, it will give you an enlargement. Picture it being twisted onto your existing sewer hose - just like a cap. As I indicated in my post, I had to cut off about 6 inches of the sewer hose because with the additional valve, it would have protruded too far outside the RV.

The website is: www.valterra.com/RV/rv-main.htm On the left of the this page, you should click on "Waste Valves & Access" to take you to the Twist on Valve part #58.
If you still need a photo after seeing the one on the website, let me know.
Richard.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Bigk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
While you are waiting for the photo of the modification, you can go to the Valterra website and it will give you a very clear photo of the Twist on Valve Accessory. If you put your mouse on the small photo, it will give you an enlargement. Picture it being twisted onto your existing sewer hose - just like a cap. As I indicated in my post, I had to cut off about 6 inches of the sewer hose because with the additional valve, it would have protruded too far outside the RV.

The website is: www.valterra.com/RV/rv-main.htm On the left of the this page, you should click on "Waste Valves & Access" to take you to the Twist on Valve part #58.
If you still need a photo after seeing the one on the website, let me know.
Richard.
Got it. Thanks.
2016 F350 XLT 4x4 SRW CC LB 6.7L
2007 3500 Dodge DRW CC CTD, 6.7L (SOLD)
16K Husky EZ-Roller Hitch
Bigk is offline   Reply With Quote