Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2023, 07:27 PM   #1401
chuckster57
Site Team

Looks factory to me

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:18 AM   #1402
jxnbbl

Nice job on the last 2 modifications! Great work.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 04:20 PM   #1403
Shasta Bob

Was it that much of a improvement in the shower?
2019 Cougar 315 RLS
Shasta Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:06 PM   #1404
SargeW

Oh yeah, that's where most of the hot water goes! The DW loves her long hot showers.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 05:58 AM   #1405
jasin1

This must be the longest running thread ? Little did the op realize when he started this one ..thinking he should have had an award by now
Old 03-04-2023, 06:57 PM   #1406
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
This must be the longest running thread ? Little did the op realize when he started this one ..thinking he should have had an award by now
And what's really ironic is that the search feature reliably fails to find it every time I go looking for it by name. I have to visit my own postings and find it there.

(Second photo shows the result of the simple search in the first photo -- third photo shows the result if you quote the string instead.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 8.01.52 PM.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	43197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 8.02.18 PM.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	43198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 8.02.48 PM.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	43199  
Old 03-05-2023, 05:32 AM   #1407
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
And what's really ironic is that the search feature reliably fails to find it every time I go looking for it by name. I have to visit my own postings and find it there.

(Second photo shows the result of the simple search in the first photo -- third photo shows the result if you quote the string instead.)
yes it would be nice if it was a “sticky” at the top of odds and ends or somewhere on the forum
Old 03-09-2023, 11:21 AM   #1408
LHaven

I've mentioned somewhere on the forum (can't find it, go figure) about my furnace woes. For the past year, the furnace has been acting dodgy. You turn it on, and all you hear is a relay click -- no fan, no snap-snap-snap, nothing else happens. When you turn it off, you hear the same click. The one time we took a trip during heating season, we took along an electric heater, since we would be staying in southern border states anyway... and then ended up not needing to use it, because the furnace miraculously worked all through the trip. Until we came back home, whereupon it stopped again.

Took it into the shop last month for lots of work (annual brakes/bearings/caulk, Maxxfan install, etc.) and asked them to fix it. Told them there was a chance it would be working by the time I got there, but happily it wasn't and I was able to show them the failure. However, after I left, the failure went away, so they didn't work on it. Had them come out to the house after I took it back home and (of course) it failed again. This time they replaced the board with a Dinosaur. It worked great for two days, then stopped again. It was like I was parking it on an Indian graveyard.

On one day it started working again, and managed to raise the cabin temp from 57° to 61° on the way to 68° before just quitting -- no cool down fan, nothing.

Had them come out again yesterday. They are now down to one tech (anybody looking for work? It's a super little town with plenty of trailer biz!) Of course, the furnace worked fine the minute he walked in. So I told him to stick around in case it quit halfway to target temp like it did previously. Of course, it wouldn't.

But he was a pretty competent tech. First, he read the voltage at the furnace: 10.3, not 13.8. He also noticed that the wiring was connected with standard screw-on wire nuts.

He went outside to the refrigerator hatch and saw that the furnace wiring passing through it was also connected with wire nuts. (I suspect my dealer did this back in 2019 the first time they had to replace the sail switch that was fouled by all the sawdust and plaster dust from the factory.) When he played with the connections, the furnace stuttered. He replaced them with crimp-on sombreros, and I haven't had a failure since.

So sloppy work by my dealer cost me four figures to get diagnosed and fixed. Thank you, dealer.

At least we're finally roadworthy for our school vacation week trip!
Old 03-09-2023, 12:15 PM   #1409
Maineiacs

Quote:
He replaced them with crimp-on sombreros, and I haven't had a failure since.

So sloppy work by my dealer cost me four figures to get diagnosed and fixed. Thank you, dealer.

I hope you've contacted the service manager and made them aware of the problem they created. Some service managers actually care and want to know if they've done something wrong.

I'm very familiar with wire nuts, what on earth is a crimp-on sombrero?
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:29 PM   #1410
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
I hope you've contacted the service manager and made them aware of the problem they created. Some service managers actually care and want to know if they've done something wrong.
I'm very familiar with wire nuts, what on earth is a crimp-on sombrero?
I told my dealer's service department two years ago that I would never be back, so there's no point to that.

I'm talking about these things. I guess they don't really look like sombreros, it's just what I call them.

Old 03-09-2023, 12:33 PM   #1411
Maineiacs

Ok, now I see what you mean.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:07 PM   #1412
jasin1

Quote:
I've mentioned somewhere on the forum (can't find it, go figure) about my furnace woes. For the past year, the furnace has been acting dodgy. You turn it on, and all you hear is a relay click -- no fan, no snap-snap-snap, nothing else happens. When you turn it off, you hear the same click. The one time we took a trip during heating season, we took along an electric heater, since we would be staying in southern border states anyway... and then ended up not needing to use it, because the furnace miraculously worked all through the trip. Until we came back home, whereupon it stopped again.

Took it into the shop last month for lots of work (annual brakes/bearings/caulk, Maxxfan install, etc.) and asked them to fix it. Told them there was a chance it would be working by the time I got there, but happily it wasn't and I was able to show them the failure. However, after I left, the failure went away, so they didn't work on it. Had them come out to the house after I took it back home and (of course) it failed again. This time they replaced the board with a Dinosaur. It worked great for two days, then stopped again. It was like I was parking it on an Indian graveyard.

On one day it started working again, and managed to raise the cabin temp from 57° to 61° on the way to 68° before just quitting -- no cool down fan, nothing.

Had them come out again yesterday. They are now down to one tech (anybody looking for work? It's a super little town with plenty of trailer biz!) Of course, the furnace worked fine the minute he walked in. So I told him to stick around in case it quit halfway to target temp like it did previously. Of course, it wouldn't.

But he was a pretty competent tech. First, he read the voltage at the furnace: 10.3, not 13.8. He also noticed that the wiring was connected with standard screw-on wire nuts.

He went outside to the refrigerator hatch and saw that the furnace wiring passing through it was also connected with wire nuts. (I suspect my dealer did this back in 2019 the first time they had to replace the sail switch that was fouled by all the sawdust and plaster dust from the factory.) When he played with the connections, the furnace stuttered. He replaced them with crimp-on sombreros, and I haven't had a failure since.

At least we're finally roadworthy for our school vacation week trip!
many direct spark furnaces require a good ground connection also or you can get sporadic problems…i’d also look at your pedestal at your home base and check for proper voltage ,ground and neutral connections
Old 03-09-2023, 02:47 PM   #1413
LHaven

Quote:
many direct spark furnaces require a good ground connection also or you can get sporadic problems…i’d also look at your pedestal at your home base and check for proper voltage ,ground and neutral connections
That advice doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, since the furnace is a DC-only device, is entirely isolated from the AC system, and operates even if shore power is totally absent.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:54 PM   #1414
jasin1

Quote:
That advice doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, since the furnace is a DC-only device, is entirely isolated from the AC system, and operates even if shore power is totally absent.
lol yeah i’m going by my residential experience..i guess your right about that i don’t think the 12 volt system would have issues unless thru the converter? …does the furnace get power directly from the converter when plugged in or always thru the batteries?
Old 03-09-2023, 03:01 PM   #1415
LHaven

Quote:
lol yeah i’m going by my residential experience..i guess your right about that i don’t think the 12 volt system would have issues unless thru the converter? …does the furnace get power directly from the converter when plugged in or always thru the batteries?
Given that the furnace, the converter, and the batteries are all connected in parallel, the question isn't fairly answerable, as both the converter and the batteries could be considered as "providing power" to the furnace when both are energized.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:46 AM   #1416
bigdave_185

Question or two for the masses,
Generator question.

The 08 raptor has a onan gold 5500 in it and I was curious if there is direct replacement or upgrade options?

Yes I used the search bar, mostly maintenance stuff popped up.
bigdave_185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:58 AM   #1417
MarkEHansen

I'm sure glad you got that furnace issue resolved. I've been following along - it's been a long time that you've been dealing with that.

When we had that same trailer, we had problems with the sail switch and decided to fix it ourselves.

I found the wiring was too short to pull the furnace out of the cavity, so we had to change it out. This was much easier than I first thought. We installed new wires and included a Molex-style plug at the furnace side so it can be unplugged and taken out if ever needed in the future.

And yeah, we didn't use wire nuts to connect the wires

After that was done, we never had another problem with the furnace. It was so nice being able to depend on cabin heat when it was cold out!
Old 03-18-2023, 03:10 PM   #1418
bigdave_185

I wrote in more detail on my thread but just for giggles

Replaced a soft spot today on the floor of my raptor, I sealed bother sides of the material, screwed to frame of trailer and now on the hunt for either new rubber for the whole trailer garage or maybe a pice of similar thickness. Not being to picky on looks just function at this point.

Name:	IMG_1409.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	43292

Next up is the ramp door with a hole from the Rzr flag holder. Note to self always double check wife n boys tie down job.

Suggestions welcome

Name:	IMG_1411.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	634.3 KB
ID:	43293

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	43294
I have a 4x8’ sheet of diamond plate for The outside and silicone plus self taping screws on the outside. Just not sure for the inside
bigdave_185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:51 PM   #1419
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I'm sure glad you got that furnace issue resolved. I've been following along - it's been a long time that you've been dealing with that.
Got to the first campground on this week's trip, and the damn furnace does nothing but click again. I'm about ready to shoot it.

Thank heavens for my little ceramic heater, my Lux thermostatic outlet, and the fact that we live in Arizona and not Alaska.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:09 AM   #1420
jasin1

Quote:
Got to the first campground on this week's trip, and the damn furnace does nothing but click again. I'm about ready to shoot it.

Thank heavens for my little ceramic heater, my Lux thermostatic outlet, and the fact that we live in Arizona and not Alaska.
can’t remember if you said you have in·command? sure sounds like a relay on the furnace board clicking but if you have a standard thermostat,could it be the thermostat clicking that you hear?
If it is the in·command then i guess it could be the main in·command board or the infamous gateway i always hear mentioned whenever people say the word In·command and spit on the ground…my in·command does some wonky things at times …
if it’s in·command have you tried just jumping the two low voltage input wires together..thermostat wires at the furnace ( blue i think but not sure)
if it works i’d wire up a separate temporary stat into the living area and maybe think of permanently mounting it when i get home …also if a igniter wire gets chafed or a nick in it somewhere it can sometimes spark to ground from that spot instead of the igniter electrodes causing a failure to light.

EDIT: a quick search in the forum shows that your already well versed in the in·command systems

https://asasupportdocs.blob.core.win...3%20NCSP35.pdf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C9DB497C-8CEF-4DA0-ADE3-4367D68D122F.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	43296   Click image for larger version

Name:	3F9C5FA2-1C69-4FA0-BE2D-1B1F5FD77963.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	43297   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAEE4C7D-DF42-432E-BB0D-826FF7193660.jpg