Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2023, 03:14 PM   #1
markdol1

destinations

Hi folks. Looking to book 9 day april trip to gatlinburg or savannah tybee island area. Any suggestions on Where to stay and what you liked to do?
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:09 AM   #2
Weldon

Jekyll island campground is great. Book early, they go quickly. We've stayed there several times and plan to again in 2023.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:56 PM   #3
The.Devo

We stayed at CreekFire resort which is inland, 20 minutes from Savannah. Beautiful spot.
The.Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:18 PM   #4
markdol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Devo View Post
We stayed at CreekFire resort which is inland, 20 minutes from Savannah. Beautiful spot.
Thanks, Nice looking place but a little pricey for me. I just booked a week in april at gatlinburg/smokey mountain park east koa.
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:36 AM   #5
Roper46

If you are looking for a place near Savannah, try Savannah Oaks. It is just a couple miles west of CreekFire and not near as pricey.

I have stayed at Savannah Oaks many times when I had family visiting my parents in Savannah. It will probably be my first trip this spring, I live about 85 miles west of Savannah.

Attached pic is my last stay there in August 2022 when my daughter from Wa state was visiting her grandmother in Savannah.

I do not understand why this site has to turn portrait pics sideways. Two Ram truck forums I am member of do NOT turn portrait pics sideways.

Edit: The pic in my signature is also from Savannah Oaks RV Resort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220823_131030.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	42764  
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:09 AM   #6
jxnbbl

We stop in this area for a couple of nights (rest) on our way to florida. We have stayed at Creekfire and Savannah South KOA.

For what we need the KOA is fine and reasonably priced. It must be popular as the mid-April timeframe that we are in the area there was only a patio / waters edge site that we could reserve.

As others have mentioned Creekfire is more expensive as it has some 'resort like' amenities like a lazy river and there is a restaurant on the pond, etc. We stayed there as the KOA was booked last year. If staying there I think we made the correct/best choice of staying beyond the main part of the place and down near the pond but backed up towards the woods.

I've added pics KOA patio pond site...creekfire backin site
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	42774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4945.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	42775  
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:59 AM   #7
locomech

It's been about 20yrs. since we've been to Savannah but it is an interesting city with all it's Southern charm and history. There's plenty of tours to take whether it being historical, or ghost tours. We had fun on a horse drawn carriage tour of the city's historical district trying to identify the parks and buildings from Clint Eastwoods movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". There is a river walk that is loaded with the DW favorite activities, shopping and dining, and a riverboat tour.

We were on Tybee Island but my memory is confusing it with St. Simon, and Jeykll islands. I know one had wild horses on the beach, and one had a community of elegant homes built by the billionaires of the time before the great depression. The homes can be toured, and it's interesting to see how the wealthy lived back in the day.

The only thing I can say about Gatlinburg is it can be fun with lots to do but it is crowded. If you decide to visit Gatlinburg and have kids check out Dollywood, I'm sure they'll enjoy it. Dollywood didn't exist when we were there last, but it's similar to Silver Dollar City in Branson Mo. We had a better time at Silver Dollar City than Disney World, and it didn't cost as much.

The Smokey Mountains around Gatlinburg are beautiful and full of history there is no shortage of things to do. Have a safe and fun trip.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:43 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Based on this thread we started scouting out our route/stays for a trip in April...instead of staying at one of the Savannah places we thought Tybee Island for a couple of nights. There was only one night available for the 10 day window I gave them in April at what seems to be the only place. Rivers End Campground. I guess another time!
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote