Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2023, 12:33 PM   #1
Sean D

Cougar 25BDSWE

Hey guys I’m brand new here and to the RV world just got a Cougar 25DBSWE. Does anyone else here have one. Any tips or tricks?
Old 01-24-2023, 03:09 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean D View Post
Hey guys I’m brand new here and to the RV world just got a Cougar 25DBSWE. Does anyone else here have one. Any tips or tricks?
Welcome! Hopefully you went over all systems front to back with your dealer before taking delivery. Some dealers are OK as far as checking things and others seem to wait until the customer takes delivery and finds problems before acting on them. I am not sure where you are located but I would look at some youtube videos about sealing the roof penetrations and get up there and be prepared to seal what was not done well at the factory.

Last tips... be conservative regarding buying a bunch of items for a new camper but do buy an Electrical Management System; many threads on this on this forum and a GOOD water pressure regulator. Also, look at threads relative to the regulator on the propane tanks. Different ways to do the regulator based on preferences. There will be many suggestions so just use common sense before making your mind up on which are critical and which are something that can be done in the future.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:51 PM   #3
Sean D

Good thing I purchased it last Sunday and supposed to pick up this Saturday. I’ll have to make sure and watch those YouTube videos. I actually just got back from Walmart as I was looking for wheel chocks but all are plastic. I was thinking rubber would be the way to go. What do you think? Any brands on regulators you would recommend?
Old 01-24-2023, 08:32 PM   #4
Max23

Sooooo many things you may want for it. But, I recommend like was stated, buy what you NEED first off. As far as the water pressure regulator goes, I don't trust the ones that are supposedly set to 40lbs and thats that. I got one that allows you to see where exactly the pressure is set and can be changed upon your needs. No guess work that way. (just my opinion) As far as anything else goes, you said your new to the camping world, didn't say how much you know or don't know. How basic of info and what kind of info are you after?
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:09 PM   #5
markdol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean D View Post
Hi Sean .Welcome .There is a lot of good advice and tips from very knowledgeable folks here . I bought a new cougar last fall and just got out a couple of times before winter set in. Like. Mr. george said ,dont go out and buy a lot of things yet. get the basics first like system items water electrical and sewer needs. What i can tell you is to stay in it as much as possible to make sure everything works the way it is supposed to it will take some time .Use the air conditioner, fridge, stove /micro heat etc. Sleep in it and if everything seems ok then go after creature comfort purchases but remember pack your camper as light as possible and take ONLY what you will use on a regular basis. If there is ANYTHING you find call your dealer asap to make sure it is taken care of in a timely manner, some rv dealers can be difficult to deal with .Good luck and let us know how everything works out!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:42 AM   #6
dutchmensport

I think the 3 most important things about RV set up has now been mentioned: Electrical, water pressure, and chocks. In addition, carry some lumber or Lego Blocks to place under the tires of your camper to help level (left to right) and then some to put under each stabilizer jack. Every campsite will be different. And even, sometimes, asphalt campsite pads can be on inclines that require leveling. If you plan on traveling and not parked seasonal, you will run into campsites that are horribly unlevel and you'll be glad you had something to put under your tires. I think the absolute worst I ever experienced many years ago was when I had to build up a ramp 9 inches high on one side so the trailer would be near level left to right and this was an asphalt site. But I had the materials to that and that was an extreme situation. (and no, there were no options to move to a different site).

That's my suggestion.

One more.... just because it says RV on the packaging, does not mean you have to use only that item for your RV. If it says RV on the package, it will be priced much higher than you really need to pay. In short, any product you use in your house, you can use in your camper. There's nothing special you have to purchase.

And oh ... don't forget to pack a potato peeler and a cork screw and a back - up, non-electric coffee maker. You can always boil water on your gas stove top. In time, you'll want to make sure your camper is stocked with items that do not depend upon electricity and you'll want the equipment to fix meals multiple ways (on the gas stove top inside your camper, a camp stove outside, a griddle outside, a BBQ or smoker, a campfire, the microwave). Select cooking utinsels that can be used on multiple sources of heat to help save storage space. Look for items that can be used for multi tasking ... for example, a pair of meat sissors can be used for cutting wire too, as well as paper, plastic, and rubber. No need to carry a separate pair of sissors for each each item. Space is limited in your camper. Carry items that can be used for multi tasking. I found a hatchet for chopping fire wood that had a hammer head on one end and a claw for pulling nails on the other. It serves for many uses. No need to carry a separate hammer and a hatchet now. Look for things like this.

Good luck! enjoy, have fun, and happy camping!

Believe it or not.... yard sales are great when looking for items to outfit your camper.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:19 AM   #7
Camping family

First welcome and enjoy. Now before you go out and spend money on stuff you will not need or stuff you will end up finding out you should have got something different. Don’t ask how I know. Camp in your driveway for a few days making a list of things you need. A lot of the stuff for the inside you probably all ready have extras of in the house. As for out her stuff for out side. Invest in a good dump tank house. A good water hose. A good pressure regulator get the one you can adjust and a water filter. Rubber gloves for dumping tanks. A good tire temp system. First aid kit. Once you have this stuff then look for the wants.
Couple things I found that are very good and ended up buying after I had already spent money on others. Liberty 359724 waste hose kit. Rvmate water pressure regulator. Tireminder tpms. Nice to have stuff cameras side n back up. Power cord reel. Tool kit. You will find other stuff you will want and need as you go along. Suggestion buy the good stuff if not you will spend more money later.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:35 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Sean, I bought some of those plastic chocks from Walmart some time ago. Accidently backed up over them and crushed them. Bought some solid rubber from Harbor Freight. Much better purchase. See, told you that you would get lots of great suggestions as there are many campers on this forum with tons of diverse experience. I personally have purchased virtually EVERY piece of junk sold as a camper accessory and most lies somewhere in the heap of junk in a cabinet or storage bin.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:16 AM   #9
travelin texans

Name:   shopping.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  8.2 KB
This is the type of water pressure regulator you need.
Click image for larger version

Name:	730007002034.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	42773
This is not!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:19 PM   #10
pawpaw

Welcome and congrats on the new camper. These new Cougar's are nice but the newfangled In Command and Key Tv systems can be a little finiky at times. These trailers have a heavy hitch weight so a good weight distribution hitch is a must. We bought a 25RDS last March and really like it. Check the dump handles to make sure they're on tight. I lost two on the ride back from the dealer. Used Loctite on the new handles and so far so good.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:54 PM   #11
Sean D

Wow. Great replies and shared knowledge! So for the big three electrical, plumbing and chocks. Does anyone care to share brand names / model numbers or links. I’m sure they all make similar products but what do you more experienced guys run?
Old 01-26-2023, 05:01 AM   #12
Texas Steve

For Electrical Management System, I use Progressive. Mine is 50 amp hardwired into the trailer, but they have portable in either 30 amp or 50 amp depending on what you have.

For water pressure regulator I think it is a Watts (just like pictured above).

And for wheel chocks, I did just like George and got the heavy rubber ones from Harbor Freight. I added a loop of rope to the eye bolt to make pulling them easier.

Good luck with your camping experience and stay safe!
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:10 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Protecting your electrical system is done using an ELECTRICAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM and not a less expensive surge guard. The EMS protects against most common problems electrical systems at campgrounds may have. If you campground's pedestal is mis-wired, for instance, or has a bad ground or the power drops, the EMS will catch this and turn off power to your RV before damage is done. A surge protector only saves you if there is a voltage surge and that is why it is often much cheaper. This is the unit I use:

https://www.campingworld.com/progres...wer-protection

I prefer one that is plugged into the power pedestal while others prefer hard wired (inside the camper) versions and there are other similar manufacturers but the true EMS will not cost $90... most will be over $200. My EMS has a lifetime warranty and I have used it for years.

There are many water pressure regulators. One is needed in the event the campgrounds water pressure is greater than your plumbing can deal with. I can't remember the brand I use but this looks like it:

https://www.campingworld.com/adjusta...si-132204.html

I don't rely on the ladder on the back of my RV. I use it to support a 12' ladder that I carry in the front compartment of my 5th wheel. it is lightweight and I can get on my roof in a lot safer manner than that ladder on the back of the RV. I also use the ladder around my home and property when a 12' ladder is needed. Can't recall where I purchased and there many out there that are made similarly... mine is similar to this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32530793171...Bk9SR8L8h-O9YQ
Old 01-26-2023, 07:34 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Electrical - I use a Surge Guard By Southwire. Progressive is another very popular EMS (George has described the differences between an EMS vs surge protector). You need to decide if you want a portable EMS or one that is hardwired into your trailer. Both have their pros and cons. I use a Surge Guard EMS by Southwire. The current one I would recommend is the 34951 (memory - 50 amp) that comes with a lifetime warranty AND a wireless remote monitor. Progressive is another very popular brand but does not come with the remote (memory) on their portable units.

Plumbing - The adjustable water regulator is a must. I used one of the "flow restrictors" for a few years and always had some kind of problem with water pressure because that's what they do - restrict, and they're not adjustable. I don't know the brand of mine off hand but it looks just like the one Danny (TT) posted. On the topic of plumbing get a sewer hose (I carry 2 - 20' and 15' extension) and the little accordion looking support ladder to put it on. It greatly facilitates a "smooth" dump.

Chocks - I believe yours is a travel trailer. One of the more time consuming things when new to RVs is leveling (just helped a newbie level up a couple of days ago). Wood blocks, plastic legos etc. can be used. The leveler I was using prior to owning a self leveling trailer was the Andersen levelers which greatly simplified leveling. I combined it with a Level Mate Pro so that I could level the trailer from the cab of the truck. Very handy. For chocks you can use any number of kinds of materials. As far as running over them - they're not meant for that and the 2 I've ran over both self destructed (plastic/steel). Some links:

https://www.amazon.com/ANDERSEN-HITC...95&sr=8-5&th=1

https://andersenhitches.com/product/tuff-chock/

https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Steel-S.../dp/B002E1AYW2 (I have used this type in various applications for many years. They fold to a small size. When ran over the support bracket bent slightly but I still use it).

https://www.amazon.com/TechnoRV-Wate...%2C180&sr=1-19 (all kinds of brands on Amazon but I would stick to better known brands).

Electrical:

https://technorv.com/products/50a-su...otection-34951 (this is the 50A model. They make a 30A as well. I did not see what your trailer had).

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x

Again, don't confuse an EMS with a surge protector. They are two very different things and a simple surge protector will be useless in most cases.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:53 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

I did not buy my EMS from Campingworld.com but they have regular EMS sales and their pricing seems better than what I paid. You might want to sign up for their never ending email alerts to catch the sales.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:05 PM   #16
Sean D

Right on I just got back from the dealer. They installed the electronic brake controller and took measurements for the weight distributing hitch. Wish me luck! Im going tomorrow to do the orientation / final walk through and taking delivery. I started making a check list to bring to check off as Ill get to excited and wont remember all the questions I should be asking. Anyone have input on taking delivery??
Old 01-26-2023, 08:22 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Somewhere on this site there is a checklist of things you should check. I only buy used trailers and probably know what should be checked off hand based on the experience I have learned (actually paid for in most cases). Perhaps someone can point you to this list and I bet a few have it downloaded to their computer.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:25 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Try this link to the thread with the PDI checklist:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=5129

The link is in the first post.....

https://www.angelfire.com/trek/buena...PDI_V113_2.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:35 PM   #19
markdol1

Sean ,dealers have an inspection list when they take delivery from the driver. ask to see that report too.Take your time on the run through and make them explain everything you dont understand. good luckand enjoy your camper.
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:12 AM   #20
Sean D

Everything went great! Thx guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3464C860-DC82-45DC-953C-A7BCFCCA993E.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	42798  

Tags
cougar