Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2022, 12:34 PM   #1
Stangfire

Adding 12V USB charging port. Which kind?

We just got a 2013 Keystone Hideout 31 BHS. It will be permanently setup at our dry camp. It will have a couple solar panels for the batteries. I want to add a few 12V USB ports for charging.

Can you recommend a good quality 12V USB that does not have a light on it? Everyone I find has some type of light. I don’t want a light shining in my face when I’m trying to sleep plus the unnecessary current draw on the batteries.

I can get some nice quality ones through work but they have the bright blue light on them. Maybe I can smash that light out?
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

I doubt that tiny LED draws any appreciable current to worry about power draw. I didn’t like the light, so I drilled out the blue light on the one I added. Amazing how much it illuminates the bedroom at night. I tried a dab of black caulking first, but the light “leaked” out from the USB ports, so I drilled it instead.

Not to go off on a tangent, but there are studies that show blue spectrum light can delay sleep in many cases. Aside from blue LED’s like the USB ports, smart phones, tablets, etc are a source of blue light. Keystone loves to use blue LED’s all over the interior; under the dinette, floor accent lighting, on the Furrion ranges……they are everywhere!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #3
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I doubt that tiny LED draws any appreciable current to worry about power draw. I didn’t like the light, so I drilled out the blue light on the one I added. Amazing how much it illuminates the bedroom at night. I tried a dab of black caulking first, but the light “leaked” out from the USB ports, so I drilled it instead.

Not to go off on a tangent, but there are studies that show blue spectrum light can delay sleep in many cases. Aside from blue LED’s like the USB ports, smart phones, tablets, etc are a source of blue light. Keystone loves to use blue LED’s all over the interior; under the dinette, floor accent lighting, on the Furrion ranges……they are everywhere!
Thanks.

I could live with a red light. Much easier on the night vision. That bright blue is no good.
Old 11-22-2022, 05:57 PM   #4
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
Can you recommend a good quality 12V USB that does not have a light on it? Everyone I find has some type of light. I don’t want a light shining in my face when I’m trying to sleep plus the unnecessary current draw on the batteries.
I have had goo luck with Powerwerx products. They have a couple of panel mount USB charge ports that don't have lights.

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mounts

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:18 AM   #5
Weldon

I installed 2 different ones. The first was a replacement. Second was a new USB by the kids' bunks. Been over a year for both...no issues or complaints. Lights are barely visible.

RecPro RV USB Charging Port | Dual Charger Socket | Black Recessed Mount | RV | Camper | Trailer https://a.co/d/bDdyhIY

Valterra Diamond Group DG61030VP... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P6SPTZ2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:12 AM   #6
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUT View Post
I have had goo luck with Powerwerx products. They have a couple of panel mount USB charge ports that don't have lights.

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mounts

Gary
Thanks, I've used that brand in the past with good results. However, it had that bright blue annoying light.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:02 AM   #7
Stangfire

I think this red one would be okay. Shouldn't blind you at night or loose your night vision.

https://powerwerx.com/backlit-red-panel-mount-usb
Old 11-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #8
GaryUT

Quote:
Thanks, I've used that brand in the past with good results. However, it had that bright blue annoying light.

This one has no lights:

https://powerwerx.com/panel-dual-usb-qc30-charger

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:42 AM   #9
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUT View Post
Thanks! I'll have to see what qc 3.0 is. Says it's good with smart phones so I like it.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:24 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks! I'll have to see what qc 3.0 is. Says it's good with smart phones so I like it.
It made me curious so I looked. QC is Quick Charge, and if I read it right it can detect what’s plugged into it and choose the optimal amps for rapid charging.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #11
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It made me curious so I looked. QC is Quick Charge, and if I read it right it can detect what’s plugged into it and choose the optimal amps for rapid charging.
Yeah it seems like a nice product and no annoying light.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #12
rlh1957

Put a mini switch inline at the usb to cut power to the port snd light. Left to burn the LED is parasitic power draw and over time draws the power doen.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
usb