Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2022, 08:35 AM   #1
dmfrosty

Replacing Stove vent on outside wall

Hi,
I am replacing the stove vent on the outside wall of my 2006 Cougar. Looking for recommendations on the caulk. What is the best product to use that the elements?
dmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfrosty View Post
Hi,
I am replacing the stove vent on the outside wall of my 2006 Cougar. Looking for recommendations on the caulk. What is the best product to use that the elements?
https://www.campingworld.com/butyl-t...%2020%25-40%25
Old 09-22-2022, 12:45 PM   #3
dmfrosty

Thank you! This will be perfect!
dmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #4
LHaven

Not to hijack this thread, though it already seems resolved...

My son has a more vintage MH with a TPO EPDM roof. He has two satellite dishes up top (there when he bought it) which don't work, and he'd just prefer to demount them and patch up the holes in the roof. What's the best way to go about this?

(edited, my error)
Old 09-22-2022, 07:13 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

This is one of those times eternabond would be ok IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:58 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Not to hijack this thread, though it already seems resolved...

My son has a more vintage MH with a TPO roof. He has two satellite dishes up top (there when he bought it) which don't work, and he'd just prefer to demount them and patch up the holes in the roof. What's the best way to go about this?
Remove them, place a 1/4 in sheet of plywood over the holes, right on top of everything. Use a few wood screws to hold it in place. Use a LOT of Dicor caulking under the plywood and around the screws, around the edges, seal it up good. Then cover the plywood with some new rubber roof material, enough to go over it all and extend beyond a couple inches. Use Dicor again around the edges and even Eternabond tape to hold the edges down on top of that. Done.

Before laying down the plywood, sand down the upper edge so its more rounded and not a sharp corner so it won't hurt the rubber roof material by cutting it.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:21 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Chuck, this is one of those times when Eternabond tape is called for. It's used to cover holes and repair the OEM roof membrane, not to cover sealant to prevent leaks.

Make sure to prep the roof surface properly, install the tape and then roll it correctly to activate the adhesive so it will adhere properly.

On an "older motorhome" chances are very VERY good that the membrane is NOT TPO but rather is EPDM. While the process to install Eternabond is similar for both types of membrane, Eternabond used to recommend sealing all the edges of the tape with DICOR self leveling sealant to prevent the edges of the tape from "rolling up". With TPO roofing, that's not required and over the years, as the instructions were revised, with less and less EPDM in use, the comment to seal the edges "sort of disappeared from the procedure"....

If it were me, on an EPDM membrane, I'd still seal the edges of the Eternabond wtih DICOR sealant, even though the instruction step was eliminated with the popularity of TPO membrane as the "roof of choice"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:06 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Remove them, place a 1/4 in sheet of plywood over the holes, right on top of everything. Use a few wood screws to hold it in place. Use a LOT of Dicor caulking under the plywood and around the screws, around the edges, seal it up good. Then cover the plywood with some new rubber roof material, enough to go over it all and extend beyond a couple inches. Use Dicor again around the edges and even Eternabond tape to hold the edges down on top of that. Done.

Before laying down the plywood, sand down the upper edge so its more rounded and not a sharp corner so it won't hurt the rubber roof material by cutting it.
A couple pieces of Eternabond tape would be much easier, faster, probably better leak protection & wouldn't need to drill more holes in the roof for screws.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #9
bobbecky

I wonder if a discussion about what sealant should be used on EPDM and TPO roof materials. There is a roof care link from Dicor that has a page that talks about that. I guess older EPDM roofs can use the regular lap sealant or the newer sealant but TPO should use the newer sealant only to avoid issues with distortion of the TPO material if the older lap sealant is used.
https://dicorproducts.com/images/RudysRoofbook_16.pdf
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:18 AM   #10
Outbackman57

So asking about fixing a stove vent on a side wall morphs into patching holes in roof membrane with Eternabond and no one gripes about hijacking, Ok. Simply asking if anyone knows what’s under a tub in the what have you done to your RV section because someone might have done it and knows causes a stern talking to. You guys are funny. Glad there is so much good information here to balance out the drama-dy. No ‘panties in a bunch’ allowed, it’s Saturday. Have a great weekend!

John Santy
‘06 Kargoroo 28KRS
‘20 F-150 XLT
‘00 FLHRCI
‘21 Royal Enfield Himalayan
Outbackman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:59 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackman57 View Post
So asking about fixing a stove vent on a side wall morphs into patching holes in roof membrane with Eternabond and no one gripes about hijacking, Ok. Simply asking if anyone knows what’s under a tub in the what have you done to your RV section because someone might have done it and knows causes a stern talking to. You guys are funny. Glad there is so much good information here to balance out the drama-dy. No ‘panties in a bunch’ allowed, it’s Saturday. Have a great weekend!
I'd say that "most of us" aren't that thin skinned. If someone asks a question in a thread AFTER the op has his answer to the original question, what's the harm?

Technically, it's "hijacking" but how many campfire conversations stay on track without going off the rails multiple times?

In the case of the "What have you done to your RV" thread, asking a question about "How can you do a modification" is not congruent with the topic. By the way, that thread: What did you do to your RV today? was started on 09-03-2017, and with 1326 posts, it's also one of the oldest "active threads" on the forum.

Besides, your question about replacing a stove vent wasn't about "what was done" but was about "how do I do"... Trying to sort through pages of "I washed my RV" and "I repacked my wheel bearings" posts to attempt to follow comments about "YOUR DISCUSSION" among 1326 posts as the thread grows, would be difficult, among the "on topic chatter".... Essentially, I did you a favor by putting all discussion about your question in one place.... Thank me/thank the forum for the answers. As you said, "No ‘panties in a bunch’ allowed, it’s Saturday. Have a great weekend!"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:52 AM   #12
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
On an "older motorhome" chances are very VERY good that the membrane is NOT TPO but rather is EPDM.
Yeah, you're right, I flipped them by mistake. Sorry.

Tags
vent