Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
Natdancal

Two slides not working ALPINE 3700FL

Hi all new to this forum very nice to be here. I have a new Keystone Alpine 3700 FL we have been loving this RV. Five slides tow of them i just started having problems with one is currently stuck open and the other is closed. Who ever knows this model it is the front room living and the middle is the kitchen the back is the bedroom and bath. so the din-net and the kitchen are the ones that are not working. i tried the reset on the Lippert controller and it didn't work. so i'm thinking these two are hydraulic? i can here the in_command clicking when i push close. I went into were the hydraulic pump is and i noticed four fuses 5AMP and all four are blown.i replaced them and it happened again. I looked under both slides to see if there was something in the way of the slides and nothing looks like it. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks all ! i'm going to the newbie section and say HI to you all.
Natdancal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Are you connected to shore power or running a generator or just battery?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
Natdancal

I’m currently on 110 cord just keeping the fridge and things running. I have had it hooked up like this for a few weeks and have run the slides in and out with no problems utilizing the other day.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
Natdancal

I tried running on my generator but it’s doing the same thing no response from the in-command or by blue tooth on my phone.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
travelin texans

What shape are your batteries in?
Even connected to SP fully charged batteries are required for slide operation. The converter doesn't have the oomph to do the heavy load items without batteries or risk damage the the converter.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
Natdancal

The other three slides work fine. I think they are electric. The two I’m having problems are the two that are hydraulic.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #7
Natdancal

I just checked the batteries they are fine
Old 09-22-2022, 12:14 PM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natdancal View Post
Hi all new to this forum very nice to be here. I have a new Keystone Alpine 3700 FL we have been loving this RV. Five slides tow of them i just started having problems with one is currently stuck open and the other is closed. Who ever knows this model it is the front room living and the middle is the kitchen the back is the bedroom and bath. so the din-net and the kitchen are the ones that are not working. i tried the reset on the Lippert controller and it didn't work. so i'm thinking these two are hydraulic? i can here the in_command clicking when i push close. I went into were the hydraulic pump is and i noticed four fuses 5AMP and all four are blown.i replaced them and it happened again. I looked under both slides to see if there was something in the way of the slides and nothing looks like it. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks all ! i'm going to the newbie section and say HI to you all.
Nothing about the hydraulic pump will have a 5 amp fuse.. that motor will pull 50 amps or more most of the time.

There will be either a auto reset or manual reset breaker in the 6 gage cable running to the pump
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natdancal View Post
I just checked the batteries they are fine
How did you check them? If you look at a panel reading while they are charging then you're looking at the voltage the converter is outputting. The true test is to remove the battery and have it load tested at an autoparts store or by using a hydrometer and checking each cell.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:34 PM   #10
Natdancal

The hydraulic landing gear all works
Old 09-22-2022, 01:30 PM   #11
ChuckS

Your Alpine has the Equalizer System hydraulic pump unit most likely.. the four 5 amp fuses that blew are two the control relay panel for the equalizer system

Many Alpines have the Lippert hydraulic system but the newest models are starting to show up with Equalizer system

Here is the link to Equalizer Systems Tech Support as well as what limited information they provide on the hydraulic system in your Alpine

https://eqsystems.us/service-and-support/

Calling Keystone Customer Support for this system will be a useless venture..

Look thru some of their limited support information .. I suspect since all four 5 amp fuses are blowing when you try to operate the hydraulic slides that you have a wiring issues at the pump control, pump solenoid, etc…

*** you CAN also manually override and open or close the hydraulic slides on your Alpine .. locate the owners manual on the link I’ve provided and it will help you understand how to operate the hyd pump using a cordless drill.. yo7 would also have to manually open the Hydac valve located on the pump ,anifold for the sldies so that the pump can provide fluid pressure

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:34 PM   #12
ChuckS

This TS guide from Equalizer systems may get you pointed in the right direction
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equalizer Systems Hyd Pump Motor TS .pdf (58.0 KB, 236 views)

Old 09-22-2022, 01:56 PM   #13
ChuckS

This schematic picture and a pic of fuse panel that you are blowing fuse at for further possible help… I’d be looking at a short from the harness to the control panel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42B0C6F8-E369-40D3-8C75-260E4B6B61CE.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	41701   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAC8983F-B611-418E-976F-6E367299C2BA.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	41702  

Old 09-22-2022, 09:21 PM   #14
bsmith0404

Chuck, I’m not that familiar with the equalizer system, but find it strange that the landing gear works, but the slides don’t. That tells me the pump is working. What are the fuses for? Does the system have a travel lock like the Lippert system? How about manual override switches on the in command? Also seems strange that one slide is in and the other is out. I know the older Alpine systems were on a single switch and the slides operated in a sequence. If I remember correctly, they did that when the switched to the in command as well, separate control for each of the electric slides, but still just one for the hydraulic. Is it still that way?
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:26 AM   #15
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Chuck, I’m not that familiar with the equalizer system, but find it strange that the landing gear works, but the slides don’t. That tells me the pump is working. What are the fuses for? Does the system have a travel lock like the Lippert system? How about manual override switches on the in command? Also seems strange that one slide is in and the other is out. I know the older Alpine systems were on a single switch and the slides operated in a sequence. If I remember correctly, they did that when the switched to the in command as well, separate control for each of the electric slides, but still just one for the hydraulic. Is it still that way?
The equalizer system started showing up on some 2021 Alpines.. not all models but the FL for certain has this system.. the fuses are part of the control board wiring … which the Lippert system thankf7lly doesn’t have any of this crap..

The LG control is completely different from the slide control for the EQ system.. the override switches on the BCM for In Command NEVER have operated any hydrauilc slide out that is connected to in command on an Alpine and is so stated in the In Command info located on their website..

Their IS a single plug in relay on the BCM for all hydraulic slide operations that the BCM controls

When he blew all four of those ATC fuses one slide had either extended and other had not yet or vice versa and with the blown fuses nothing will work for the hydraulic slides till he fixes the short that’s blowing those fuses

The control panel for the LG is also separate like the Lippert system but is also tied into the EQ system pump control module

He can use a drill and an Allen wrench and manually operate the slides by ole8ng the Hydac valve for the slides and running the pump with a drill

Unlike the Lippert system that has superb help documents for their six point system and hyd slides the EQ system documentation is generic and nit specific to the Alpine install..

If you call Keystone they are of ZErO help as well.. a third contractor was used on the initial installs by Keystone and no one seems to know Jack…

We called EQ systems trying to get info t9 help another Alpine owner earlier this year and EQ STATED…we sold the system to Keystone and you have to call them to find out how our system was installed

A call to Keystone was answered with a stupid statement “ we don’t have any info on the install of the EQ hydrauilc control system for the leveling control or hyd slides

YES there is a travel lockout but the OP would see the red and white safety ,estate on the display telling him this..

I’ve attached another image of the EQ hydrauilc system so yo7 can see the fuse bank as well as the difference in the manifold with its Hydac valves mo7nted on the pump manifold instead of the separate return and extend blocks that Lippert uses
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A70AABD4-7125-438F-9663-CA60F2ED4DAB.jpeg
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	41707  

Old 09-23-2022, 03:35 AM   #16
ChuckS

This is the placard installed on the Alpines with the Equalizer Hydrauilc systems and you can see a different company was used for the install by Keystone

I would not buy a new Alpine with this system installed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DE43EE6C-250A-4CE5-B7CA-30803455653C.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	41708  

Old 09-23-2022, 09:32 AM   #17
bsmith0404

Great explanation, thank you. I hadn’t actually seen the new system and was trying to understand the differences between them. Now it makes sense why the slides aren’t working with the blown fuses, but the LG is. Gotta love it when a company gets a “good deal” on a product and goes away from a system that has been working well for 10 years.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #18
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Great explanation, thank you. I hadn’t actually seen the new system and was trying to understand the differences between them. Now it makes sense why the slides aren’t working with the blown fuses, but the LG is. Gotta love it when a company gets a “good deal” on a product and goes away from a system that has been working well for 10 years.
I am not fond of this EQ hydrauilc system at all.. there have been at least a dozen new 2021 and 2022 Alpines that have had several leveler leg cylinders leaking .. two pump failures that I am aware of.l

And the worst thing for me is the documentation on the EQ Wensite is generic in nature for a typical fifth wheel installation

Now add in In Command control with the EQ system and neither EQ nor Keystone company will share a damn thing for the owners to troubleshoot their issues

Secondly many RV Techs are not up to speed on this installation and so if an Alpine owner has issues it’s hard to get any meaningful data to troubleshoot with

The standard response from Keystone Alline is take it to the dealership ..where.. most of them haven’t a clue as to how the EQ hydraulic system is interfaced int9 the In command BCM..

Lipperts hydraulic system is very reliable , good support info , and it’s been around a while so that most RV Techs can TS issues

I’m on my 9th year with this Alpine.all hydraulic slides and six point leveler system.. it has been flawless sans two hydrauilc lines I chafed when installing my GC2 batteries .. …

Old 09-23-2022, 02:27 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

As a tech of many years, I can tell you we get NO, ZERO warning or training when a new system is being used, be it leveling, controls ( InCommand, OneTouch,Spyder). It’s all “trial by fire”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #20
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As a tech of many years, I can tell you we get NO, ZERO warning or training when a new system is being used, be it leveling, controls ( InCommand, OneTouch,Spyder). It’s all “trial by fire”.
Yes and it’s a sad state of affairs quite frankly.. It puts the RV Tech at a disadvantage with the customers because .. a customer expects their RV to be repaired and repaired quickly.

The point is simple.. it’s the RV Industry’s lack of caring about the customer base .. which includes those like yourself that are making a living repairing for those that can’t..

And when Keystone installs a new hydraulic system like the EQ in its products that have been using Lippert hydraulic systems for the last decade or more it’s poor on their part

Why? Because none of them seem to know Jack about the system and/or won’t share anything about the system and how to work on it.. telling a customer to take their RV to a dealership is a canned answer and the RV repair centers are overrun with backlog work, can’t get parts and can’t get timely authorizations from the warranty dept ..

Personally for me we have bought our last RV.. it will have to last us and I will have to keep it maintained .. not gonna pay the ludicrous prices now for a product that can’t even begin to match the quality of my older unit

but it’s been a most enjoyable experience for the wife and I and when we had kids they enjoyed RVing with us as well ..

Tags
alpine, slide