Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2022, 10:20 AM   #21
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbajaoLemke View Post
I built my own hitch to convert it to a gooseneck. The question I have because I have never seen chains on the add on conversion hitches is, are chains needed/required? I added them when I built mine because that is what I had read when doing my research.
As mentioned some states require them, some states don’t. I added them to mine, simply because I don’t want to deal with checking each state I tow through and don’t want any issues with it. Safety chains are not one of those “my state doesn’t require them” and get away with it items.

As for building your own gooseneck hitch, I’ll just caution you that it’s not a good thing to do. You’ve probably heard it before, but you can damage the frame with a rigid connection. The Goosebox and Gen Y have shock systems and movement built in. A rigid connection acts as a lever and places torque on the frame every time you accelerate, brake, or hit a bump. A traditional hitch doesn’t place that torque because it’s a higher connection point and also has a pivot. You can crack the frame up under where the upper section drops to the the lower section. If you look at other gooseneck trailers such as cargo or horse trailers, they have extra bracing built into them, an RV does not. That is why that type of hitch voids the frame warranty.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #22
FuShiLu

Specifically, GenY utilize the Airstream torsion technology which has an impressive track record.

As for warranty. Lippert has stated full coverage with GenY. Partnership deal early on. Lippert also released the very good connection kit for GenY. It came out after I purchased. I also verified with Lippert before I bought.
FuShiLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #23
madweazl

There is zero chucking with the Goosebox. It is the smoothest connection.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:42 PM   #24
FuShiLu

I can agree with that.
FuShiLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:30 PM   #25
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbrown View Post
Gearhead do you get any chucking with the goose box?

I want to swap my 5 th wheel to goose box mainly to stop the rough ride and chucking I get but have been told the goose box has chucking also so scared to spend the money to not cure the chucking issue.

My old 48 ft race trailer was gooseneck and combined weight was 31k and I had zero chucking … towed like a dream and sometimes would forget it was behind me unless I looked in the mirror.

When my wife is sitting passenger seat with her lap top working when my trailer now starts chucking it’s like she’s trying to hang on to a bull that’s trying to throw her off till it settles down….. I hate that chucking
No chucking with mine. There is no tolerance stack up to cause any slamming at stops or chucking on the road. The only tolerance is on the 2 5/16" ball on the truck, and it's not much. Experiment with the air pressure on the bag. I think I landed at 35 psi.
The only bad I heard on GenY was the very early models had to be re-engineered because they were hitting the top of sidewalls on some trucks. I was concerned about buying one that was new but old stock. The factory assured me that all the defective ones were not on shelves.
I think you're a winner with either one.
Someone mentioned that GenY was approved by Lippert. If so, that is new info. Reese Goosebox yes, GenY ??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:41 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
No chucking with mine. There is no tolerance stack up to cause any slamming at stops or chucking on the road. The only tolerance is on the 2 5/16" ball on the truck, and it's not much. Experiment with the air pressure on the bag. I think I landed at 35 psi.
The only bad I heard on GenY was the very early models had to be re-engineered because they were hitting the top of sidewalls on some trucks. I was concerned about buying one that was new but old stock. The factory assured me that all the defective ones were not on shelves.
I think you're a winner with either one.
Someone mentioned that GenY was approved by Lippert. If so, that is new info. Reese Goosebox yes, GenY ??

I have never seen anything that said Lippert approved of the Gen Y hitch and it wouldn't void the frame warranty. Maybe someone has that document but I've never seen it. Here is an excerpt from Etrailer on the use of the Gen Y:

Is the Gen-Y hitch Lippert approved?
The Gen-Y Hitch Shock Absorbing 5th Wheel Pin Box - Lippert 1621 and 1621 HD - 18,000 lbs - 3.5K TW # 325-GH-8040 weighs 125-lbs. However, after speaking with the tech and warranty department over at Lippert, the Gen-Y pin boxes are not "endorsed" for use on a Lippert chassis.

This excerpt said they weren't "endorsed". I've seen other statements saying they weren't approved for use with a Lippert frame and would void the warranty as the Goose Box (Lippert product) was the only one authorized. If there is a statement from Lippert out there that approves the Gen Y for warranty I've not seen it....maybe someone can provide that?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:02 PM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have never seen anything that said Lippert approved of the Gen Y hitch and it wouldn't void the frame warranty. Maybe someone has that document but I've never seen it. Here is an excerpt from Etrailer on the use of the Gen Y:

Is the Gen-Y hitch Lippert approved?
The Gen-Y Hitch Shock Absorbing 5th Wheel Pin Box - Lippert 1621 and 1621 HD - 18,000 lbs - 3.5K TW # 325-GH-8040 weighs 125-lbs. However, after speaking with the tech and warranty department over at Lippert, the Gen-Y pin boxes are not "endorsed" for use on a Lippert chassis.

This excerpt said they weren't "endorsed". I've seen other statements saying they weren't approved for use with a Lippert frame and would void the warranty as the Goose Box (Lippert product) was the only one authorized. If there is a statement from Lippert out there that approves the Gen Y for warranty I've not seen it....maybe someone can provide that?
GenY told me "they were working on" approval of Lippert. I doubt that will ever happen due to the ties between Lippert and Reese. But they gotta say something...
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:51 AM   #28
peanut

Considering that Lippert has just endorsed the latest gooseneck conversion clone - the Curt Crosswing:

https://store.lci1.com/all-about-cro...earnmorebutton

and considering that Lippert owns Curt hitch:

https://www.weau.com/content/news/CU...565347062.html

all of the discussion of voided warranties can be shown for what they are - - poppycock. The Crosswing is a clone of hitches such as the Andersen or the Pullrite 2600; it just has a differently shaped add-on to the kingpin. Obviously, IMO, the only problem Lippert sees in the Andersen or the Pullrite type hitches is that "they aren't ours". And the Gen Y and the Reese Goosebox are so similar as to make any differences moot. There is no engineering reason to not approve them. Lippert is simply trying to control the market by denying warranty coverage unless you use "their" product. Just like inkjet printer companies saying that the warranty is void if you don't use their ink.

Sure, Lippert may void a warranty for using a "non-approved" hitch. But, in my experience, warranties are so full of small print, and (even smaller print) exceptions, that most of them are not worth the paper they are printed on. If you were to file a frame warranty claim with Lippert I don't doubt that they would do their best (and likely win) to not honor it.

I plan on using a Pullrite 2600 single point "gooseneck" when I finally upgrade to a fifth wheel. Not approved by Lippert. So what. It's all just a scheme to corner the market.

All of this to add to the "voided warranty" remarks here. I have never used the Gen Y or the Goosebox but I wouldn't be hesitant to install either. Both get loads of approvals. Make a list of likes/dislikes of each and chose the one you feel the most comfortable about.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:36 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Considering that Lippert has just endorsed the latest gooseneck conversion clone - the Curt Crosswing:

https://store.lci1.com/all-about-cro...earnmorebutton

and considering that Lippert owns Curt hitch:

https://www.weau.com/content/news/CU...565347062.html

all of the discussion of voided warranties can be shown for what they are - - poppycock. The Crosswing is a clone of hitches such as the Andersen or the Pullrite 2600; it just has a differently shaped add-on to the kingpin. Obviously, IMO, the only problem Lippert sees in the Andersen or the Pullrite type hitches is that "they aren't ours". And the Gen Y and the Reese Goosebox are so similar as to make any differences moot. There is no engineering reason to not approve them. Lippert is simply trying to control the market by denying warranty coverage unless you use "their" product. Just like inkjet printer companies saying that the warranty is void if you don't use their ink.

Sure, Lippert may void a warranty for using a "non-approved" hitch. But, in my experience, warranties are so full of small print, and (even smaller print) exceptions, that most of them are not worth the paper they are printed on. If you were to file a frame warranty claim with Lippert I don't doubt that they would do their best (and likely win) to not honor it.

I plan on using a Pullrite 2600 single point "gooseneck" when I finally upgrade to a fifth wheel. Not approved by Lippert. So what. It's all just a scheme to corner the market.

All of this to add to the "voided warranty" remarks here. I have never used the Gen Y or the Goosebox but I wouldn't be hesitant to install either. Both get loads of approvals. Make a list of likes/dislikes of each and chose the one you feel the most comfortable about.

A warranty is not "poppycock" to many folks. Particular if that warranty issue involves a very expensive frame issue. Your assessment that they "probably" won't honor the warranty so just do "whatever" and forget it is not one held by most and would be bad advice to someone that had a newer trailer with an intact warranty. If someone has a 10 year old trailer as you do then of course the warranty is irrelevant but that doesn't hold true for everyone. Your observation that Lippert only approves "their" stuff in an effort to corner the market is one I've made many times. However, it still remains that it's their frame, their warranty and they make the stipulations and if that's important to someone they have to follow their guidelines.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:19 AM   #30
bsmith0404

I’d like to hear their explanation why one is approved and another “like” item is not. I’m sure they’ll use some claim of added torque or something along those lines, but I’d like to see the testing to prove it. That would probably never happen unless your were in court

I will say I have personally seen a Lippert Turn Point pin box get bent using an Andersen hitch. Lippert replaced it under warranty, but said they would not cover it again if they continued to use the Andersen hitch.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:23 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I’d like to hear their explanation why one is approved and another “like” item is not. I’m sure they’ll use some claim of added torque or something along those lines, but I’d like to see the testing to prove it. That would probably never happen unless your were in court

I will say I have personally seen a Lippert Turn Point pin box get bent using an Andersen hitch. Lippert replaced it under warranty, but said they would not cover it again if they continued to use the Andersen hitch.
The onus is not on lippert to prove anything. It's their warranty and their stipulation stated in their warranty, I'm not defending the, just stating my opinion. If someone disagrees with the terms of the warranty then they certianly have the right not to purchase the product.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #32
bsmith0404

I mentioned this the other day in another thread, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects consumers against warranty denials due to using aftermarket parts. The manufacturer has to prove the part caused the failure. It is thought by many that the act is only for the auto industry, but that is not correct. It governs warranties on all consumer products.

If they have “like” products that they approve that happen to be made by them, it would be considered an unfair exclusion to not allow other brands. If they stuck to their warranty that states (paraphrasing ) that any bolt on products attach to the pin box voids the warranty,, then it would be less of an issue.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I mentioned this the other day in another thread, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects consumers against warranty denials due to using aftermarket parts. The manufacturer has to prove the part caused the failure. It is thought by many that the act is only for the auto industry, but that is not correct. It governs warranties on all consumer products.

If they have “like” products that they approve that happen to be made by them, it would be considered an unfair exclusion to not allow other brands. If they stuck to their warranty that states (paraphrasing ) that any bolt on products attach to the pin box voids the warranty,, then it would be less of an issue.
Well I guess I'm not as intimately knowledgeable as you are with that law. so when are going to take them to court?
Old 06-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #34
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Well I guess I'm not as intimately knowledgeable as you are with that law. so when are going to take them to court?
I don’t have any denied warranty claims. Kinda hard to take them to court over nothing.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:39 PM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I don’t have any denied warranty claims. Kinda hard to take them to court over nothing.
Perhaps you could offer your services to others if they do.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:41 PM   #36
bsmith0404

Why the sarcasm about simply pointing out a law that is designed to protect consumers? There’s a reason the law was created, it was to protect people from warranty denials such as this. You said the onus is not on Lippert, according to the law, it is.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:51 PM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Why the sarcasm about simply pointing out a law that is designed to protect consumers? There’s a reason the law was created, it was to protect people from warranty denials such as this. You said the onus is not on Lippert, according to the law, it is.
Can you send me that law so I can read it?
Old 06-17-2022, 06:58 PM   #38
bsmith0404

Google it. Just make sure you get the actual
Act and not the summary of it. There’s a lot of information out there pertaining to the auto industry because that’s where many people have used it, but the actual act is for all warranties. Of course, how it was applied and used in the auto industry gives some good examples of how it works.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

It's not sarcasm, you talk about it in absolutes whith great confidence so I thought with such deep knowledge on the law you might offer your assistance to others and likely had a copy on your computer.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #40
bsmith0404

I sold cars and RV. It’s something we advised people on several times because customers had questions about warranties. There’s still a lot of people who believe they have to have oil changes done at a dealership or use only name brand OE parts or it voids their warranty. That’s just one example.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)

Tags
hitch