Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #1
TimC

&@&$!&& auto level!!! (Again)

Hi all,

I’m back with more auto level issues on my Cougar 26RBS. One of the screws for the control panel came out of the wall and the panel tilted pretty badly to one side. This ended up causing the auto level to go haywire. It lifted the front very high and then when it was starting to lift the wheels off the ground with the rear jacks I aborted. Did some reading and sounds like the control pad itself must be what is used for detecting level.

I got the panel re-secured, but the next attempt was still lifting the front way too high so aborted that attempt as well. I’m guessing I need to do the zero point reset. The problem I’m running into is I can’t seem to get all jacks down. Right now I have 3 down but I keep getting an “excess twist” error on the right rear so I can’t get it to extend at all. On various attempts to manually level it was always a different jack that threw that error.

Wondering if anyone here has experienced this issue. If so, anyone have any tips for how to resolve this one?

I’ve only had one time so far with this camper where auto level worked without issue (other than every test run in the driveway… those always work fine). I’m sure I’ll get this system figured out eventually, but so far it’s been driving me nuts!

TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:48 PM   #2
wrvond

Probably apples and oranges but the unit that actually senses the position of the camper on mine is located in the overhead center of the pass through. Essentially under the bed but accessed in the pass through.
I’ve never seen that error.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:24 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

There are 2 sensors. The one that seems to cause issues is the one that is mounted approx 16” behind the rear axle. It has to be mounted solid and had to face a particular direction. The touch pad doesn’t sense level.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:07 AM   #4
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There are 2 sensors. The one that seems to cause issues is the one that is mounted approx 16” behind the rear axle. It has to be mounted solid and had to face a particular direction. The touch pad doesn’t sense level.
Good to know. Thanks!

Any idea where it is generally mounted? In the underbelly maybe?

Old 05-14-2022, 05:07 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

It should be on a cross member and yeah coroplast has to be lowered.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:13 AM   #6
bsmith0404

If you are in manual mode and lowering the rear jacks, they both should come down together. The sensor should read the same for both. Are you dropping them as a rear or are you dropping them as left and right?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:21 AM   #7
jsb5717

Have you called Lippert directly? They are very helpful in troubleshooting their products.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:48 AM   #8
ChuckS

Gather this is a Lippert 3.0 ground control system??

If you take the time to DL this Lippert manual and read it and save for a rainy day you can usually correct any issue that might occur with your 3.0 system...

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001746.pdf

The forward front controller is part of the sensor system... as Chuckster57 indicated you also have a remote rear sensor

The location of the front sensor is up high in the forward compartment.. the remote rear sensor is underneath the belly coroplast.. you have to remove it and that controller is mounted as previously stated

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:54 AM   #9
jasin1

my lippert 3.0 was acting up when i did my walkthrough at the dealer..couldn’t get it to respond right or level the trailer…the service tech that was showing it to me said the “ f#@& this” and popped the keypad out of the wall mount and went and got a different one…popped it in and it worked flawlessly…odd that yours works good when in the driveway…are you plugged in to shore power when trying to level ? that what i do
Old 05-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #10
TimC

Quote:
It should be on a cross member and yeah coroplast has to be lowered.
Thanks! Hoping this isn’t the issue. I looked at it a bit more today and when in manual mode it’s not showing I’m very off level (which is true). So perhaps the level sensors are fine. Still not sure why it would’ve done what it did when auto leveling though. I haven’t yet given it another try, but will at some point soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404
If you are in manual mode and lowering the rear jacks, they both should come down together. The sensor should read the same for both. Are you dropping them as a rear or are you dropping them as left and right?
I was doing one at a time with the app. I’ll try to do both at once next time I have issues (the last jack came down this morning without issue finally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717
Have you called Lippert directly? They are very helpful in troubleshooting their products.
I have not yet. Good to know though, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS

Gather this is a Lippert 3.0 ground control system??

If you take the time to DL this Lippert manual and read it and save for a rainy day you can usually correct any issue that might occur with your 3.0 system...

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001746.pdf

The forward front controller is part of the sensor system... as Chuckster57 indicated you also have a remote rear sensor

The location of the front sensor is up high in the forward compartment.. the remote rear sensor is underneath the belly coroplast.. you have to remove it and that controller is mounted as previously stated
Correct on the ground control system. We did read through the manual but it can be pretty vague (I suppose like I was with this post. It was late and I was tired ). The manual doesn’t seem to have any good tips for manually leveling. Wonder if anyone here does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1
my lippert 3.0 was acting up when i did my walkthrough at the dealer..couldn’t get it to respond right or level the trailer…the service tech that was showing it to me said the “ f#@& this” and popped the keypad out of the wall mount and went and got a different one…popped it in and it worked flawlessly…odd that yours works good when in the driveway…are you plugged in to shore power when trying to level ? that what i do
I was plugged in, but forgot to turn my multiplus on which is required since all my power passes through it. But, never plugged in when parked in my driveway. Honestly I think it’s just been bad luck that everything works when testing at home but then doesn’t when we take a trip. First set of issues was from travel jarring loose a connector. I’m really thinking this issue was due to the travel jarring loose the controller. Perhaps this is just something I’ll have to deal with until I get through all the things the factory didn’t properly secure.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #11
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
…are you plugged in to shore power when trying to level ? that what i do
It's interesting that when I called Lippert over GC 3.0 error issues they told me that the best scenario for their system is healthy, fully charged batteries (<>12.6v or more), NOT PLUGGED IN. As long as the batteries hold to >12v while using the jacks that it would function well.

They encouraged me to be unplugged when using the jacks as long as the batteries were fully charged.

It seems to be working OK using it that way. It will still err out on a rare occasion but I just perform the reset and move on.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:59 AM   #12
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
It's interesting that when I called Lippert over GC 3.0 error issues they told me that the best scenario for their system is healthy, fully charged batteries (<>12.6v or more), NOT PLUGGED IN. As long as the batteries hold to >12v while using the jacks that it would function well.

They encouraged me to be unplugged when using the jacks as long as the batteries were fully charged.

It seems to be working OK using it that way. It will still err out on a rare occasion but I just perform the reset and move on.

** Who ever at Lippert gave you that advice is.. ignorant..

If you have not actually measured what the voltage is before you start operation of the level up panel and during operation it is something you need to do..

IF the voltage level is dropping below 12 volts at anytime the 3.0 ground control system is operating you will most likely continue to have issues..

I would make some time and do a bit of investigative work.
1. remove the battery ground cable to frame and clean the frame surface so you see clean bright metal and reinstall that end of the cable
2. check the other batter cable post connections for cleanliness and security
3. Locate forward front control module and reseat each connection on that controller
4. I would then do the "Home Jack" procedure to clear and reset any possible errors that may have been detected...
... how to do the "Home Jack" is in the manual and quite simple
.. I would then manually level the RV and perform the Zero point calibration

After doing the above the system should operate fine... unless there is an intermittent Hall sensor or front or rear sensor issue

Old 05-15-2022, 05:47 AM   #13
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
4. I would then do the "Home Jack" procedure to clear and reset any possible errors that may have been detected...
... how to do the "Home Jack" is in the manual and quite simple
.. I would then manually level the RV and perform the Zero point calibration

After doing the above the system should operate fine... unless there is an intermittent Hall sensor or front or rear sensor issue
I want to make sure I’m understanding you correctly. You are saying re-homing the jacks clears all errors? I don’t recall seeing that in the manual, but I could’ve missed it. Either way that’s good to know (assuming I’m understanding correctly).

Thanks for the advice Chuck.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:15 AM   #14
jsb5717

Yes, re-homing clears errors.

Precedure:
1. Extend all jacks to 6" or greater
2. Use "Retract All" to pull them all back in

errors are cleared
Old 05-17-2022, 06:26 PM   #15
TimC

Got the camper back home. Again, auto-level works fine in the driveway. Hopefully it’s back to being good now with the re-securing on the controller. Next trip is over Memorial weekend, so we’ll see if I can get it to work when it’s not in my driveway at home.

Old 05-18-2022, 02:14 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post

I’m with Chuck on this one. All the times I have talked to tech support, I was told best to be plugged into shore or TV with engine running. One test is to use battery only and monitor voltage with volt meter watching to make sure it never dipped below 12.0VDC.

Old 05-18-2022, 02:54 PM   #17
jsb5717

Quote:
I’m with Chuck on this one. All the times I have talked to tech support, I was told best to be plugged into shore or TV with engine running. One test is to use battery only and monitor voltage with volt meter watching to make sure it never dipped below 12.0VDC.
Yeah, I don't know what to make of it. I had always heard what you've just stated. I said as much to the person I was speaking to but they were adamant that they were giving me the best advice. I can tell you that since that conversation I have used it many times on just battery and it has worked just fine.

As a fairly competent DYIer I could still deduce that as long as there was adequate power (ie: >12v) available to the system that it should work correctly regardless of the whether the rig was plugged in to shore power or not. What I didn't know was whether 13+ volts (which is what I show on the screen when plugged in) might have an adverse affect and cause it to err out by spiking some sensitive or faulty component. Since it was erring out almost every time I used it I was grasping for answers and Lippert gave me one. When it would err out it I was disconnecting from my truck or loading it on so lowering the landing gear to lift the front. It always sounded like it was straining, or working too hard just before quitting and then giving some random error. I've since learned what that sounds like and can usually tell when to give it a rest for a second before continuing. As a result I rarely get errors any more.

I don't know if this helps the OP but it's been my experience. This is my first and only rig with Lippert's Auto Level. I've come to the conclusion that the system is sensitive and finicky. You just need to learn how to baby it so it works when you need it.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

I can't speak to that system but one misconception is that 12v dc systems run on 12 volts. In reality 12v dc is typically the minimum voltage required. If you look at most "12 v" devices they will list an operating voltage that's often 12 to 15 volts dc. or more. Voltage sensitive devices often have a voltage regulator incorporated on the control board. So typically a "12vdc" device will have no issue handling the 13+ vdc of a converter in bulk charge mode with a nice big battery to provide supplement for a high amperage load. Someone at Lippert making the statement to operate "only on battery" is counter intuitive in my thinking.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:19 PM   #19
ChuckS

If you have further issues then check the voltage at the location marked with yellow arrow.

This provides all 12 volt power to the entire system..make this check WhILE operating the system and of the for,age is dropping below 12 volts you will continue to have intermittent issues until you resolve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6FD9F3A-F8F1-4875-8522-EF9B5FD7D71A.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	39813  

Old 05-27-2022, 07:28 AM   #20
TimC

Update: After I got home from the last trip the auto level again worked flawlessly in my driveway. It seems to not like side to side leveling, which I can understand for the last place we went as the side to side wasn’t great. It wasn’t terrible either, but maybe off enough.

That said I’m now at my property where the pad is more level than my home driveway—especially from front to back. I would’ve expected zero issues here given how close to level the pad is. But, got the same issues as my last trip. Auto level wanted to raise the camper way too high and then started throwing “Excess twist” and “excess angle” issues. I was not hooked to shore power (no shore power here) but also was not on my last test at home.

I have not yet tested the voltage while operating, but I’ll try to do that. If that’s the issue it’d likely be a wiring issue that shore power wouldn’t help with. I have 1200ah of LifePo4, I seriously doubt the auto level would be causing anywhere near enough voltage drop on those batteries to cause issue. But, probably worth checking.

I think next steps are a trip to the dealer. I’ll probably take a video of it going crazy because I’m sure it’ll work flawlessly on their lot. Thanks all for the tips.