Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
Kclady0525

Tpo roof with ripples

I have a brand new keystone passport 2870 rl. The roof has numerous ripples. Keystone is saying this is normal because the roofs are no longer glued down to help with expansion and contraction. Has anyone experienced this and is it true they are not glued down
Kclady0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Welcome! That sounds like BS to me but what do I know? Not glued huh? I wouldn't have taken delivery with the ripples in the roof fabric. Period.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I believe your the second person to post that roofs aren’t glued down. I don’t think that’s right, but I too may not know anything.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:04 AM   #4
Tom1234

Our 2022 243rb hideout is doing the same thing and got the same reply from keystone except they didn't say anything about the glue. I don't feel this is normal
Tom1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:47 AM   #5
Mikendebbie

There are several "Keystone Factrory Tour" videos on youtube. I have not searched for your particular brand - but the screen shot below is from a Montana factory tour video from 2019 I believe, and you can see the workers spreading the roof membrane glue over the plywood roof deck. This video is from "Home With the Hoopers"...

Again - no idea if they glue your roof or not, but I would bet they do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-05-04_11-35-40.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	39573  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:15 PM   #6
ChuckS

Your roof membrane is made by Alpha Systems and is the Superflex TPO membrane.. it is glued down during installation..

Link to Alpha systems RV roof info..

https://alphallc.us/products/roofing/

The ripples and bubbles that you will see are caused by glue outgassing..it is a NORMAL occurrence and as long as the leading edge of the membrane where it meets the front cap metal transition strip is sealed well there is NO issues.

The small bubbles and ripples you see will change as the roof temp changes..they will also move around to different areas..

Here is a video my my now Nine year old Alpha systems TPO membrane. In this video you will see some ripples and bubbles at various areas on my roof.

These will completely disappear with temperature changes to my roof..

I have towed this Keystone Alpine going on now for nine years and over 30K miles.. I inspect the roof front cap trim seal area after every long tow at our destination and carry a tube of self leveling sealant in case I see any gaps in the sealant

https://youtu.be/dAweWxPtIFA

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:53 AM   #7
Tom1234

Chuck S. My camper is only 6 months old and these are not small ripples. They are 4 to 8ft. Long and 2 to 3 inches wide there are 5 of them so far. Plus the membrane is loose all along the length of both sides of roof. Was your camper like that brand new?
Old 05-08-2022, 04:31 AM   #8
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1234 View Post
Chuck S. My camper is only 6 months old and these are not small ripples. They are 4 to 8ft. Long and 2 to 3 inches wide there are 5 of them so far. Plus the membrane is loose all along the length of both sides of roof. Was your camper like that brand new?
My video shows the type and typical size of small bubbles and ripples that are NORMAL to see on the Alpha systems TPO membrane..

4 to 8 feet long and 5 of these is .. IMO an indication that clearly the entire roof membrane has issues with the glue no adhering AT ALL..

Additionally the edges of the roof membrane on the sides being loose from front to back the entire length is another indication that you clearly have more than NORMAL type of bubbles and ripples that are seen with most TPO roof membranes..

If it were mine the entire roof would be redone from end to end...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:41 AM   #9
Tom1234

Thank you for your reply. Your video assured us that this is not normal. Thanks again
Old 05-29-2022, 06:40 PM   #10
Charlie405

Hi Tom...
I took delivery of a 2021 Cougar 361MBI, in July of last year. The first thing I did when it arrived at the dealer, from the factory, is I checked the roof. I noticed the same ripples you found on your unit. I said I would not take delivery, until it was tightened up. The service manager, came out, and took pictures and videos of the roof material. I compare the look to a bed sheet. It was submitted to Keystone, and their reply was this was normal. My replay was if I travel down the hyway, and my roof start blowing in the wind, I will be back with it. Their reply was the roof has a 12 or 25 year warranty on it, and any separation or damage from, would be covered.

I had the service manager photograph and video, all the upgrades and options installed on the roof. The solar panels, satellite dish, etc, and it was noted that any repairs that may be needed in the future, if any, would be covered by Keystone, as it was delivered and inspected by the dealer and all photos and documents were sent to Keystone to document the issue.

Sorry for the long winded post...good luck��

Charlie405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:18 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie405 View Post
Hi Tom...
I took delivery of a 2021 Cougar 361MBI, in July of last year. The first thing I did when it arrived at the dealer, from the factory, is I checked the roof. I noticed the same ripples you found on your unit. I said I would not take delivery, until it was tightened up. The service manager, came out, and took pictures and videos of the roof material. I compare the look to a bed sheet. It was submitted to Keystone, and their reply was this was normal. My replay was if I travel down the hyway, and my roof start blowing in the wind, I will be back with it. Their reply was the roof has a 12 or 25 year warranty on it, and any separation or damage from, would be covered.

I had the service manager photograph and video, all the upgrades and options installed on the roof. The solar panels, satellite dish, etc, and it was noted that any repairs that may be needed in the future, if any, would be covered by Keystone, as it was delivered and inspected by the dealer and all photos and documents were sent to Keystone to document the issue.

Sorry for the long winded post...good luck��
Hopefully you got all those promises in writing?
Of course Keystone mentions the roof membrane is covered for XX years, but if you read the membrane manufacturer warranty poor installation is not covered which is most likely the issue with yours.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #12
Tom1234

Update on roof

I took the camper to an independent rv repair to have them check it out. They found several issues for warranty claims. They contacted keystone to submit claims and were told they needed to have the dealer release the trailer to them before they could do anything. Dealer says they never heard of such a thing. Anyone have this problem?
Old 06-22-2022, 03:10 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I took the camper to an independent rv repair to have them check it out. They found several issues for warranty claims. They contacted keystone to submit claims and were told they needed to have the dealer release the trailer to them before they could do anything. Dealer says they never heard of such a thing. Anyone have this problem?

Exactly what process have you gone to? Using an independent rv repair to check out the trailer and give an assessment to Keystone. Keystone says the "dealer" needs to release the trailer to "them"? What dealer and who is "them"....Keystone? Release? What does that mean - Keystone want's to buy it back? Something's not right with that picture.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:20 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Keystone won’t pay warranty claims to a non keystone selling dealer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:19 PM   #15
Tom1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Exactly what process have you gone to? Using an independent rv repair to check out the trailer and give an assessment to Keystone. Keystone says the "dealer" needs to release the trailer to "them"? What dealer and who is "them"....Keystone? Release? What does that mean - Keystone want's to buy it back? Something's not right with that picture.
RV One is the dealer we bought the camper from at an rv show. We told the salesman at the show we didn't want the one they were showing but we wanted a brand new one
Salesman says he can do that. Long story short we get it home and find out it's the same camper we looked at at the show. RV One would not make it right. Three months later we find the roof membrane is bubbling up. Contact RV One and they said to take pictures of it and send them to them. They supposedly submitted the pictures to keystone and keystone said it is normal . So we decided to take it to an independent repair shop for a 2nd opinion and they found other issues as well as the roof problem. They contacted keystone to submit a claim and keystone said there have been no claims against that camper and rv one needed to submit a waiver to allow rv shop to work on it. Rv one said they never heard of such a thing and we could take it anywhere we wanted to have it done.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

RVOne is a huge online RV seller and most folks buy from them for price. I doubt they will be big on service. Here is a video that shows what needs done to repair the issue you are having with the glue letting loose on the TPO membrane:
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:13 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
RV One is the dealer we bought the camper from at an rv show. We told the salesman at the show we didn't want the one they were showing but we wanted a brand new one
Salesman says he can do that. Long story short we get it home and find out it's the same camper we looked at at the show. RV One would not make it right. Three months later we find the roof membrane is bubbling up. Contact RV One and they said to take pictures of it and send them to them. They supposedly submitted the pictures to keystone and keystone said it is normal . So we decided to take it to an independent repair shop for a 2nd opinion and they found other issues as well as the roof problem. They contacted keystone to submit a claim and keystone said there have been no claims against that camper and rv one needed to submit a waiver to allow rv shop to work on it. Rv one said they never heard of such a thing and we could take it anywhere we wanted to have it done.

Some thoughts;

Bought from RV one at a show, didn't want the unit at the show but a different one. GOT HOME and found you had the same trailer that was at the show? How did that happen? Did you not inspect it first or take it home?

Dealer would not "make it right"; did you sign a contract with the VIN of the trailer you have? If so you have a problem trying to "make it right" and have accepted that for looks like 3 mos.

You contacted RV one and they asked for pics which you sent and they said Keystone said it was normal. You then took it to an "independent" repair facility. Are they authorized by Keystone? If they submitted to Keystone I assume they are. "No claims had been filed" on your unit? I don't know RV one but sounds to me like they blew you off and just said something to get rid of you; some places are good at sales, some at service and some at both. Many do not like to do warranty work as it cuts into the bottom line.

Keystone "said" that RV one had to submit a "waiver" for another repair facility to work on YOUR trailer? I doubt that. How and why would Keystone interject themselves into the repair of YOUR RV? To take liability going forward? No.

RV one said you can take the trailer "anywhere" for repairs. Well, you can only if you are willing to pay for the repairs. The selling dealer is the only one obligated (sort of) to perform warranty repairs on your trailer. After that it has to be done 1) by an authorized Keystone repair facility and 2) by a facility that agrees to do the work for the warranty rated Keystone will pay.

Lots of "he said, she said" going on. You need to get documentation from every involved party because IMO you are being given the "song and dance" routine.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:59 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

I worked at an independent repair facility, and we were within 15 miles of a Keystone dealer with a horrible reputation. We tried on several occasions to get Keystone to authorize warranty repairs and were denied every time. We were told unless we were a keystone “selling” dealer they wouldn’t pay. We were one of only 3 independent repair facilities that wasn’t a selling dealer but did do factory warranty work for Heartland.

Tags
roof