Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2022, 08:56 AM   #61
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoug View Post
Has anyone experienced any Keystone frame issues while traveling to Alaska via the Alcan? I have read a few stories where travel trailers frames break and they do not have support from Keystone or lippert. We are wanting to buy a 2022 Cougar 25RDS and curious about the structural integrity of the trailer over long distances and constant road construction. I have pulled one trailer to Anchorage AK but that was before the virus days, and I have ridden a motorcycle to Anchorage as well, I am familiar with the Alcan. Any input will be appreciated.

Wonder if you can strengthen the frame before traveling?
Old 01-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #62
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Now weren't you warned about compulsive Youtube watching? Geesh, when I get bored I go our and shoot squirrels with my pump BB gun or ride around on my garden tractor. A man has to have a productive hobby and Youtube ain't it!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:17 AM   #63
jasin1

I know George….I know lol

It’s been in the 20s here the last couple of days..I’m not a winter person…feelin like maybe time to head south
And all my hobbies include boats and the water…finished rebuilding that Hemi before Christmas and trying to decide what to get into

I get the winter blues and I sit on the couch for hours then leap up and get an idea then run outside to that cold and it takes the wind out of my sails

I will try and cut back on posting videos
Old 01-10-2022, 09:21 AM   #64
wiredgeorge

Ahhhh shucks... didn't know you were battling cabin fever. Go ahead and chunk those videos at us as you like.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:23 AM   #65
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I know George….I know lol

It’s been in the 20s here the last couple of days..I’m not a winter person…feelin like maybe time to head south
And all my hobbies include boats and the water…finished rebuilding that Hemi before Christmas and trying to decide what to get into

I get the winter blues and I sit on the couch for hours then leap up and get an idea then run outside to that cold and it takes the wind out of my sails

I will try and cut back on posting videos

When I was younger I really liked the winter, snow, hunting in it, playing in it etc. Guess because I had primarily lived in a desert all my life and it was a fun novelty. As time went on it got to where it wasn't so much fun and in fact became drudgery when we owned property where it snowed a lot. Got so bad, like you, all I have to do is be sitting in cold weather day and night for a day or 2 and I actually get depressed and itchy for "something to do". Answer? Leave the cold behind, go somewhere warm and wait for it to get warm (fun) again. Good luck in being able to find a happy solution.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:41 AM   #66
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Ahhhh shucks... didn't know you were battling cabin fever. Go ahead and chunk those videos at us as you like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
When I was younger I really liked the winter, snow, hunting in it, playing in it etc. Guess because I had primarily lived in a desert all my life and it was a fun novelty. As time went on it got to where it wasn't so much fun and in fact became drudgery when we owned property where it snowed a lot. Got so bad, like you, all I have to do is be sitting in cold weather day and night for a day or 2 and I actually get depressed and itchy for "something to do". Answer? Leave the cold behind, go somewhere warm and wait for it to get warm (fun) again. Good luck in being able to find a happy solution.
Thanks guys! Yeah Florida is where I need to be right about now…hopefully in a couple of weeks
Old 01-10-2022, 09:48 AM   #67
flybouy
Site Team

I loved the snow until I was about 10 yrs old and my father introduced me to a snow shovel. After that, not so much. As to the video I saw that this morning as well. Found it interesting that the welder fabricated an identical A frame and put the extra 6" in after the LP tanks. I got the sense that the guy that owns the trailer isn't real savvy with ,mechanical things. Either way, "what we have here, is a failure to communicate."
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:13 PM   #68
crtravis55

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Just to satisfy my curiosity and to maybe answer a couple questions, I started the process of booking a trip from Bellingham, Washington to Homer, Alaska with two passengers, a pickup and a small travel trailer. It was eye-opening to say the least.
I just booked the ferry from Whittier to Bellingham towing the Passport 189rb (23') with our 2018 F150 crew (19'). The online booking does not accept any single vehicle (or combination) over 30' and we added up to 42'. You need to call the reservations directly to get the correct cost. In our case the truck/trailer cost was $4,920 and a total of $7,452 with two seniors 65+ and a 4 berth outside cabin. Simple 2 berth cabin would be about $800 less. Expensive yes but 3 days cruising the inside passage and not having to drive back 1,800+ miles back the way we went up - priceless.
crtravis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:04 AM   #69
notanlines

Keep in mind, I said "Just to satisfy my curiosity and to maybe answer a couple questions, I started the process"
We have no wish to take a ferry when we can drive. And I posted the fare from THEIR website. Keep in mind that Homer is another 200 miles further.
This whole act was to answer questions from some who think that passage can be booked for about $1500 including truck and RV.
As you have learned, the price is far, far from it.
We have ridden may ferries in the past from short, local runs and from Sydney, Nova Scotia to St Johns, Newfoundland. Believe me, the Canadians know how to travel!
And, keep in mind, now that you've booked this trip, be sure to post back on your experience.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:32 AM   #70
jasin1

Yes if you could take time and post pictures of how they load the ferry.
I’d be interested in doing that one day but have visions of them packing the vehicles like sardines and ending up with scratches and door dings
Old 02-14-2022, 05:31 PM   #71
Spock123

I was stationed in Alaska in the Army at Fort Greely AK. My next duty assignment was Fort Bragg in North Carolina, we took the Alcan home, 1100 miles of gravel highway. It wasn’t much fun then. I had always wanted to go back to Alaska but for one reason or not just couldn’t find the time. We made the trip back in 2017 pulling our fifth wheel, it was fun. We had a great time, we met a lot of wonderful Canadian people and people in Alaska. If you ever get the chance by all means go. We wanted to go back this year but the virus took care of that. If the Canadian’s keep the flue shot requirement in effect we won’t be spending our dollars there. I have no problem with Canada having a flu shot requirement, it’s there country. Yellowstone is pretty too and no flu shot requirement. We will be spending our money going to Yellowstone this year. There is a lot of pretty places to see in America, we plan on seeing a few more places in America. We had a few problems but mostly minor issues. The highway’s in Canada are clean or at least the ones we traveled on were. We used Canadian dollars while in Canada but most places we visited in Canada would take Canadian or American dollars. Our trip was 2 1//2 months and if I went again I would stay twice that. There is a lot of great places to see in Canada and Alaska
Spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote