Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #21
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yep, those things are offensive . You guys take care on that trip....you're up there in the "north". It IS the middle of Oct. but some crazy stuff can happen weatherwise so be careful and vigilant.

The good thing is after you tuck the camper away for the winter next spring you have beautiful places to go and see. Here.....it's just flat fields and dirt.....so we have to go away to see "greenery" and water. Safe travels.
Made it there and back, missed the closed roads by a day. Only bad was heading west across SD into 50 mph headwinds. I was getting 6.2 mpg with a 4 horse gooseneck trailer. Worst I ever got with the 15,000 lbs camper was 7.4 mpg in a headwind this summer - across SD. Worst we saw was a fifth wheel with truck still attached flipped on their side on the on-ramp from the Wasta rest area, and a TT flipped on its side in the median a little farther on. Made me VERY happy I was hauling a smaller profile horse trailer!

Plans are already being made for when/ how often to haul the camper out this summer/ fall to WY.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #22
SteMax

Snow is a 4 letter word. But not that kind!

10000 feet of elevation in northern New Mexico,
Heaven on earth year round. You haven’t lived until you snowmobile in fresh deep powder.
On gone on a midnight ride with a full moon.
Pictures are from the same trip one day apart.
8” fresh powder on a 60 inch base.
We carve stairs down to the cabin door.
Just bought 2 new to me snowmobiles ( that makes 5 in my 4 place trailer) can’t wait for the snow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C34DDF13-6E4A-42C7-9E2C-37BC5773BCF9.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	36525   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7AE8097-08FA-4EF6-B902-96FF593D6E00.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	36526  
SteMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Made it there and back, missed the closed roads by a day. Only bad was heading west across SD into 50 mph headwinds. I was getting 6.2 mpg with a 4 horse gooseneck trailer. Worst I ever got with the 15,000 lbs camper was 7.4 mpg in a headwind this summer - across SD. Worst we saw was a fifth wheel with truck still attached flipped on their side on the on-ramp from the Wasta rest area, and a TT flipped on its side in the median a little farther on. Made me VERY happy I was hauling a smaller profile horse trailer!

Plans are already being made for when/ how often to haul the camper out this summer/ fall to WY.

Glad you made it back without any "events". Sounds like you got by just in time. We live in a place that high winds are a given but that area you went to can get them as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteMax View Post
10000 feet of elevation in northern New Mexico,
Heaven on earth year round. You haven’t lived until you snowmobile in fresh deep powder.
On gone on a midnight ride with a full moon.
Pictures are from the same trip one day apart.
8” fresh powder on a 60 inch base.
We carve stairs down to the cabin door.
Just bought 2 new to me snowmobiles ( that makes 5 in my 4 place trailer) can’t wait for the snow.

Spent lots of time in the Taos, Angel Fire, Eagles Nest and Red River circle. It is very nice in summer and used to be in winter. Wait a while; when you have as many broke parts as working ones that "fresh powder", "carving stairs" stairs in snow etc. etc. etc. and just dealing with it is NOT fun anymore. Owned a home in it, played in it, dealt with it and got tired of it. Have fun with it while it's fun.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #25
Canonman

As I see it, there are only 3 options:
Run from it
Sit home and hate it
Embrace and enjoy it
Gave up snowmobiling when the DW got "Goldilocks" complex and refused to go if conditions weren't "Just Right"

I'm going back to teach skiing again this winter. Fun times and you get paid for it!
Besides where else can watch Jerry:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPTYOhVg...eo_watch_again
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:24 AM   #26
notanlines

"Only bad was heading west across SD into 50 mph headwinds."Lynette, I believe those winds are included at no extra charge. EVERY time we drive I-90 in SD we have headwinds.....BOTH directions.
And Brian, that video got a few laughs here this morning.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:54 AM   #27
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Obviously that event was a once in a lifetime thing or so they said. Also you live right around San Antonio where I10 breaks N and sort of runs out of the "south" and gets into the West. At any rate, if that stuff showed up on my steps very often I'd move.

We are in the southern end of the Hill Country and temps run a few degrees colder than San Antonio. We generally get one "dusting" every year or three. It usually lasts until the sun gets high in the sky. The storm last winter was unprecedented in my memory. All the plumbers and well guys in the area got rich.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #28
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"Only bad was heading west across SD into 50 mph headwinds."Lynette, I believe those winds are included at no extra charge. EVERY time we drive I-90 in SD we have headwinds.....BOTH directions.
Every dang time we cross SD or ND, I try to figure out HOW the wind knows which way we are headed - and makes sure to give me a headwind. It’s been 25 years of trying to figure that one out…

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

I think there is something to that "headwinds in both directions" thing. DW and I were JUST discussing this 2 days ago on our way to the city. A breeze here is 20-30mph. I watch the flags as we leave driving out of town to note the wind direction. With few exceptions they will be a headwind. Get to destination and come back noting same thing....yet another headwind. HOW is that possible? I'm figuring I'm cursed with some sort of GPS thing on me that the Wind Gods watch so they can irritate me.....and all this time I thought it was just me!!!
Old 10-18-2021, 07:24 PM   #30
Bill-2020

Quote:
I think there is something to that "headwinds in both directions" thing. DW and I were JUST discussing this 2 days ago on our way to the city. A breeze here is 20-30mph. I watch the flags as we leave driving out of town to note the wind direction. With few exceptions they will be a headwind. Get to destination and come back noting same thing....yet another headwind. HOW is that possible? I'm figuring I'm cursed with some sort of GPS thing on me that the Wind Gods watch so they can irritate me.....and all this time I thought it was just me!!!
Reminds me of my favorite movie “Cast Away” and the scene of his (Tom Hanks) net scarf, tied on a stick as a windsock, suddenly changing directions.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

This windtalk brought back s memory. Years ago We had a new 2002 Shevy S 10 pulling a 21' Keystone Cabana . The dual axle hybrid was within "the trucks humbers" and I had it hitched up with a good WDH with sway control. We were on our way to Knobel's Amusement Parknin PA. A tropical storm was blowing thru and driving alondside the Susquehanna River I could see the white caps. Then, while going downhill @50 mph the truck downshifted. In all my years I've never experienced that. That V6 was working hard going downhill.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote