Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #1
dutchmensport

It's just around the corner ...

Winter!

Here's some memories of the past, with my current and previous campers. I'm not looking forward to another one of these. Last year, we jumped ship and went to Alabama the entire month of January and part of February. We still had some snow.

Meanwhile.... how about a "Winter blast from the past!" ... Winter is coming soon.... start preparing folks:

Merry Christmas! Get ready ... it's coming!
Old 10-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
notanlines

Why not go south for that period? Alabama isn’t south in the winter. South is ‘south’ of Orlando!
I better edit this by saying south Alabama IS better than a winter in Indiana. That's a given. But only marginally.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Why not go south for that period? Alabama isn’t south in the winter. South is ‘south’ of Orlando!
People from Key West call people from Miami "damn yankees" ... Just sayin' ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Whoa! What's that white stuff in those pictures? That's not snow is it??

It's been several years since I've seen/been in that stuff and we have no desire to be in it again unless we choose to travel to it. We prefer to head somewhere warmer from Nov. - May. Used to be fun but not any longer.

As far as "south" we consider several locations "south" but generally anything S of I10. Depending on how far you go, S of Orlando gets pretty congested and even further S (Key West) things get sort of "funny" for us...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

It's been several years since I've seen/been in that stuff and we have no desire to be in it again unless we choose to travel to it. We prefer to head somewhere warmer from Nov. - May. Used to be fun but not any longer.

As far as "south" we consider several locations "south" but generally anything S of I10. Depending on how far you go, S of Orlando gets pretty congested and even further S (Key West) things get sort of "funny" for us...
IMO, Key West Naval Air Station Fam Camp is the "last bastion of sanity" on US1. I'm not sure if it's the rum, the margaritas, the hot weather or just what, but any further south than that, and things sort of do get a tad bit too crazy for us too.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
IMO, Key West Naval Air Station Fam Camp is the "last bastion of sanity" on US1. I'm not sure if it's the rum, the margaritas, the hot weather or just what, but any further south than that, and things sort of do get a tad bit too crazy for us too.....

It's the only place I've ever been to that I walked out of the hotel, headed down Duval street and here comes a guy with goat legs and goat horns on his head.... beating on a drum.....surrounded by others looking "strange" Headed back to the hotel, had a beer to "fortify" myself, went to dinner then ventured out again. After dark it really cranked up.

That was the only time we saw it going like that but I'm sure we just dodged it some way. At least the chickens on the square seemed sane....

We generally stop at the 7 mile bridge these days. The 7 mile grill has a great grouper sandwich.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

I think I was maybe 10 yrs old when I stopped enjoying snow, probably was younger not sure. I do however, remember it was the year my father introduced me to the snow shovel.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #8
locomech

Snow should only be legal on a mountain.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #9
gearhead

Escape to south Texas, drink Margarita's, eat enchiladas.
Padre Island for the beach.
San Antonio for The Riverwalk.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #10
Bill-2020

Quote:
It's the only place I've ever been to that I walked out of the hotel, headed down Duval street and here comes a guy with goat legs and goat horns on his head.... beating on a drum.....surrounded by others looking "strange" Headed back to the hotel, had a beer to "fortify" myself, went to dinner then ventured out again. After dark it really cranked up.

That was the only time we saw it going like that but I'm sure we just dodged it some way. At least the chickens on the square seemed sane....

We generally stop at the 7 mile bridge these days. The 7 mile grill has a great grouper sandwich.
DW was born in Key West, grew up in Key Largo. Her brother was born in the back seat of taxi on the (old) 7 mile bridge while her mother was trying to get to the mainland hospital. We haven’t been back in many years. The Keys just aren’t the same as they used to be. But the food still is. Along with the 7 mile grill, there’s a joint in Key Largo, has the best banana pecan flapjacks I’ve ever run into.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:20 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:

We live south of IH10 and this is a pic from last February during the blizzard:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb2921,jpg.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	36368  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:33 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
We live south of IH10 and this is a pic from last February during the blizzard:

Obviously that event was a once in a lifetime thing or so they said. Also you live right around San Antonio where I10 breaks N and sort of runs out of the "south" and gets into the West. At any rate, if that stuff showed up on my steps very often I'd move.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #13
RVGator

Winter is coming..which means to us Floridians its time to finally camp in our own state! Our State Parks here in Florida should be something you look into. They are beautiful and winter is the best time to visit.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:59 AM   #14
Javi

Was 94`F here yesterday... They say it's probably the last 90` day this year... Ha-ha that weather person is kind of new to Central Texas...

But it is almost time to camp and actually sit outside without drowning in your own sweat... maybe even have a fire..

Oh... Here is a photo of our backyard during the blizzard of 2021
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Max and snow.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	36369  
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #15
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
Winter is coming..which means to us Floridians its time to finally camp in our own state! Our State Parks here in Florida should be something you look into. They are beautiful and winter is the best time to visit.
I agree - if we can find a SPOT in a state park! No offense, but the snowbirds take up a large number of sites down here. We usually go a bit north near the Florida line or further to get some cold and get away from the fall population explosion.

Having been raised in the Rockies, 20 some years in FL later has made me miss the snow. I think it’s a beautiful thing and I miss the change of seasons. Obviously 3 feet of snow is another issue, but a couple of inches or a dusting is perfect IMO.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #16
vampress_me

Ok. Where is the site team, admins, someone to report this post to?!?!? There are a LOT of offensive photos here with that horrid white stuff in it!

But, seriously, I’m trying to avoid the white stuff for at least another week, but don’t think it will work…. Taking DD’s horse out to her in WY at college. Leaving Wednesday, roads should be good, still just middle of October, right? Ha! It’s supposed to rain-turn-to-snow the farther west we get... Sadly, this also means it’s time to tuck the camper away again until next spring. Sigh…

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:45 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Ok. Where is the site team, admins, someone to report this post to?!?!? There are a LOT of offensive photos here with that horrid white stuff in it!

But, seriously, I’m trying to avoid the white stuff for at least another week, but don’t think it will work…. Taking DD’s horse out to her in WY at college. Leaving Wednesday, roads should be good, still just middle of October, right? Ha! It’s supposed to rain-turn-to-snow the farther west we get... Sadly, this also means it’s time to tuck the camper away again until next spring. Sigh…

Yep, those things are offensive . You guys take care on that trip....you're up there in the "north". It IS the middle of Oct. but some crazy stuff can happen weatherwise so be careful and vigilant.

The good thing is after you tuck the camper away for the winter next spring you have beautiful places to go and see. Here.....it's just flat fields and dirt.....so we have to go away to see "greenery" and water. Safe travels.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #18
Camp CA

We purchased our first fifth wheel trailer (Everest) for a ski-in ski-out base in South Lake Tahoe from mid-October to late March. Fabriated an electricaly-traced and insulated water hose because they were not available and augmented the gas heater with a couple of oil bath electric heaters. We gave that up for warmer winters along the central California coast, Palm Desert and Arizona.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #19
skmct

Haven't shoveled the white xxxx in more than 15 years now. Believe me if anyone thinks that snow blowing in single digits with the wind blowing is fun . They need a shrink big time. There's no way you will find a camp site here in swfl. After Christmas. They are all booked up a year in advanced . We will just have to park the fiver next to the pool and make believe. God luck to all those up north that have to deal with the white stuff thats one thing I don't miss!. I told DW when we retired.the birds are smart enough to fly south in the winter what are we doing here.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #20
P&DZ

We love Colorado in the summer. But we head out to our place in Nokomis FL before the snow flies and don’t return until early May. The keys are fun to visit but I don’t think we could live there 5 months a year.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote